Proving Y is Dense in X: Let's See!

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fermat1
  • Start date
In summary, the given conversation discusses two subspaces, X and Y, and a result related to subspaces in a larger space. It is shown that Y is a subset of X and since X is a closed subspace, the closure of Y is contained in X. Using the given result, it is proven that the closure of Y is equal to X. The proof involves showing that a function in the dual space of X vanishes on a set of vectors in Y, and using the continuity of the function to show that it vanishes on the limit of those vectors, which is an element of X.
Fermat1
Let X be the subset of \(\displaystyle l_{1}\) consisting of those sequences \(\displaystyle (x_{n})\)such that

\(\displaystyle x_{1}+x_{3}+x_{5}+...=x_{2}+x_{4}+x_{6}+...\)

Let Y be the linear span of \(\displaystyle {{e_{n}+e_{n+1}:n=1,2,...}}\) where \(\displaystyle e_{n}\) is the sequence with a 1 in the nth position, zeroes elsewhere.

You are given that X is a closed subspace, and you use the following result:
Let F be a subspace of E and x be in E. Suppose that for all maps f in the dual space of E satisfying f(y)=0 for all y in F, we have that f(x)=0. Then x is in the closure of Y.

Prove that the closure of Y is equal to X.

My work: I show Y is a subset of X: an aritrary member of Y is of the form:\(\displaystyle t_{1}(e_{1}+e_{2})+...+t_{k}(e_{k}+e_{k+1})\) and its easy to show that the sum of the odd positioned terms is equal to the even positioned ones.

So since X is closed, the closure of Y is contained in X. Now I use result with X in place of E and Y in place of F. So let f in the dual of X satisfy f(y)=0 for all y in Y.
taking k=1, then k=2, and so in the above, we see this implies that \(\displaystyle f(e_{n}+e_{n+1})=0\) for all n. Can anyone help me finish to show f(x)=0 for any x in X?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Fermat said:
Let X be the subset of \(\displaystyle l_{1}\) consisting of those sequences \(\displaystyle (x_{n})\)such that

\(\displaystyle x_{1}+x_{3}+x_{5}+...=x_{2}+x_{4}+x_{6}+...\)

Let Y be the linear span of \(\displaystyle {{e_{n}+e_{n+1}:n=1,2,...}}\) where \(\displaystyle e_{n}\) is the sequence with a 1 in the nth position, zeroes elsewhere.

You are given that X is a closed subspace, and you use the following result:
Let F be a subspace of E and x be in E. Suppose that for all maps f in the dual space of E satisfying f(y)=0 for all y in F, we have that f(x)=0. Then x is in the closure of Y.

Prove that the closure of Y is equal to X.

My work: I show Y is a subset of X: an aritrary member of Y is of the form:\(\displaystyle t_{1}(e_{1}+e_{2})+...+t_{k}(e_{k}+e_{k+1})\) and its easy to show that the sum of the odd positioned terms is equal to the even positioned ones.

So since X is closed, the closure of Y is contained in X. Now I use result with X in place of E and Y in place of F. So let f in the dual of X satisfy f(y)=0 for all y in Y.
taking k=1, then k=2, and so in the above, we see this implies that \(\displaystyle f(e_{n}+e_{n+1})=0\) for all n. Can anyone help me finish to show f(x)=0 for any x in X?

Thanks
The function $f$ vanishes on $x_1(e_1 + e_2)$. It also vanishes on $(x_2-x_1)(e_2+e_3)$, on $(x_3-x_2+x_1)(e_3+e_4)$, and on $(x_4-x_3+x_2 - x_1)(e_4+e_5)$, and so on. So it vanishes on the sum of the first $n$ vectors constructed in that way, and (by continuity) on the limit of those sums as $n\to\infty$.

Opalg said:
The function $f$ vanishes on $x_1(e_1 + e_2)$. It also vanishes on $(x_2-x_1)(e_2+e_3)$, on $(x_3-x_2+x_1)(e_3+e_4)$, and on $(x_4-x_3+x_2 - x_1)(e_4+e_5)$, and so on. So it vanishes on the sum of the first $n$ vectors constructed in that way, and (by continuity) on the limit of those sums as $n\to\infty$.

Thanks opalg, I think I reasoned this way but rejected it because it doesn't use ther fact that x in X satisfies\(\displaystyle x_{1}+x_{3}+...=x_{2}+x_{4}+...\) so are you not effectively proving Y is dense in \(\displaystyle l_1\)?

Do you have an answer to that? (I'm not being impatient but looking at my response you might mistake it for 'I'm satisfied, thanks')

Fermat said:
Thanks opalg, I think I reasoned this way but rejected it because it doesn't use ther fact that x in X satisfies \(\displaystyle x_{1}+x_{3}+...=x_{2}+x_{4}+...\) so are you not effectively proving Y is dense in \(\displaystyle l_1\)?
That fact comes in at the end, when you have to use the continuity of $f$ to deduce that $f(x)=0$. At that stage, you will have found an element \(\displaystyle z_n = \sum_{k=1}^{n+1} \alpha_ke_k \in \ker(f)\), where $\alpha_k = x_k$ for $k\leqslant n$ and $\alpha_{n+1} = x_n-x_{n-1} + x_{n-2} - \ldots .$ You have to show that the $l_1$-norm $\|z_n-x\|_1$ goes to $0$ as $n\to\infty.$

Opalg said:
That fact comes in at the end, when you have to use the continuity of $f$ to deduce that $f(x)=0$. At that stage, you will have found an element \(\displaystyle z_n = \sum_{k=1}^{n+1} \alpha_ke_k \in \ker(f)\), where $\alpha_k = x_k$ for $k\leqslant n$ and $\alpha_{n+1} = x_n-x_{n-1} + x_{n-2} - \ldots .$ You have to show that the $l_1$-norm $\|z_n-x\|_1$ goes to $0$ as $n\to\infty.$

The norm has only one term\(\displaystyle : |x_{n}-x_{n-1}+...|->0\) since x is in X.

Last edited:

Related to Proving Y is Dense in X: Let's See!

What does it mean for Y to be dense in X?

Being dense in X means that the elements of Y are closely packed or tightly clustered within the set X. In other words, Y is spread out in X without any gaps or holes.

Why is it important to prove that Y is dense in X?

Proving that Y is dense in X is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the two sets and allows us to make conclusions about the elements in Y based on their placement within X. It also allows us to apply certain theorems and properties to Y based on its density in X.

What is the process for proving Y is dense in X?

The process for proving Y is dense in X involves showing that for any given element in X, there exists an element in Y that is arbitrarily close to it. This can be done using various techniques such as the epsilon-delta method, contradiction, or by constructing a sequence in Y that converges to the element in X.

Can Y be dense in X if Y is a proper subset of X?

Yes, Y can still be dense in X even if it is a proper subset. As long as the elements in Y are densely packed within X without any gaps or holes, it is considered to be dense in X. However, if Y is a proper subset of X, it may be more difficult to prove its density in X.

What are some examples of sets where proving Y is dense in X is useful?

Proving that Y is dense in X is commonly used in the study of real analysis, topology, and measure theory. It is also useful in proving the existence of irrational numbers within the set of rational numbers and in understanding the behavior of continuous functions on closed intervals.