Proving the Integer Multiples of A for (4n+3) and (2n+1): Homework Statement

In summary, we are given that for some integer n, a divides (4n+3) and (2n+1). We are asked to prove or disprove that a can only equal +/-1. Using the fact that if a|b and a|c, then a|b-c, we can show that a must also divide the difference between (4n+3) and (2n+1), which is 2n+2. This means that a must also divide (2n+1) and (2n+2), which are only one apart. Therefore, a can only equal +/-1.
nelson98

Homework Statement

For some integer n, a|(4n+3) and a|(2n+1). Therefore, 4n+3 is an integer multiple of a, as well as (2n+1). Prove or disprove that a=+/-1.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been working on this one for quite some time now, but I cannot even start it right. Can somebody help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi nelson98! :smile:

if a|(4n+3) and a|(2n+1), then what else does a divide? :wink:

To enhance on tiny-tim's hint. Does a divide certain sums/differences??

So, I know K1=4n+3, where K is an integer, and I know K2=2n+1. But then, I have a, K1, and K2, and n, all of which are unkowns. How, then, do I solve for this?

Hint: if a|b and a|c, then a|b-c. Apply this several times...

Thanks for the hint! So, we've established that a|b, a|b, so a|b-c.

b-c = (4n+3) - (2n+1) = (2n+2)
Therefore, we know a|2n+1 and a|2n+2. These two are only one apart. Is that why a = +1 or -1?

Yeah.

Or you could just do the same thing again to b=2n+2 and c=2n+1. That would also give you the answer...

Thank you very much for the help! I appreciate you working me through this.

Related to Proving the Integer Multiples of A for (4n+3) and (2n+1): Homework Statement

1. What is an integer multiple of A?

An integer multiple of A is a number that can be obtained by multiplying A (the original number) by any positive or negative integer. This means that the result will always be a whole number.

2. How do you find the integer multiples of A?

To find the integer multiples of A, you can use a simple multiplication table. Start with 1 and multiply it by A, then continue with 2, 3, 4, and so on. The resulting numbers will be the integer multiples of A.

3. Can A be an integer multiple of itself?

Yes, A can be an integer multiple of itself. For example, 5 is an integer multiple of 5 since 5 x 1 = 5.

4. Are negative numbers considered integer multiples of A?

Yes, negative numbers can be integer multiples of A. For example, -4 is an integer multiple of 2 since -4 x -2 = 8.

5. How can integer multiples of A be used in real life?

Integer multiples of A can be used in various real-life situations, such as calculating the total cost of multiple items that have the same price, determining the number of items needed to reach a certain total cost, and finding the common denominators for fractions. They are also used in algebraic equations and in analyzing patterns and sequences.