Proving the General Formula for X^n - y^n

• Thread starter DavidSnider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, to prove the statement x^n-y^n=(x-y)(x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}y+x^{n-3}y^2+...+xy^{n-2}+y^{n-1}), we can expand the right-hand side to get x(x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}y+...+xy^{n-2}+y^{n-1}) - y(x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}y+...+xy^{n-2}+y^{n-1}). Then, by lining up like terms and cancelling them out, we can see that all terms cancel except for x^n
DavidSnider
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove xn - yn = (x-y)(xn-1 + xn-2y + ... + xyn-2 + yn-1)

Homework Equations

See Above

The Attempt at a Solution

The previous problem in the book was:
Prove:
x3 - y3 = (x - y)(x2 + xy + y2)

(x - y)(x2 + xy + y2)
(x)(x2 + xy + y^2) + (-y)(x2 + xy + y2)
(x3 + x2y + xy2) + (-x2y - xy2 - y3)
x3 + x2y + xy2 - x2y - xy2 - y3
x3 - y3

I'm not sure how to show the same thing when the exponent is variable though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the same thing you did for x^3-y^3. Multiply out the right side. Many terms cancel.

I know they cancel, but.. how am I supposed to show that?

random do you happen to be using the Spivaks calculus book?

try multiplying (x-y) with all of the terms you have listedm like xn-1, xn-2y, etc and go from there

Yes, I am using Spivak's calculus. It's unlike any math book I've ever used before, so I am kind of confused as to what they are expecting me to do.

I'll think about what you just said.

I definitely agree with you. I too am using Spivak's calculus book (my class just finished chapter 2, I'm a sophomore so I'm going a little slower through the book). But yeah start by multiplying the beginning terms you have, and the end terms you have. good luck!

Write out x*(x^(n-1)+x^(n-2)*y+...+x*y^(n-2)+y^(n-1)) and y*(x^(n-1)+x^(n-2)*y+...+x*y^(n-2)+y^(n-1)) and look for things that cancel. E.g. x*x^(n-2)*y cancels y*x^(n-1), x*x^(n-3)*y^2 cancels y*x^(n-2)*y. I know you can't write out all of the terms. You'll have to use the '...' to express what you mean. It might help to write the two expanded products on separate lines and shift one over so cancelling terms are above each other.

Last edited:
[tex]
(x-y)(x^{n-1} + x^{n-2}y + ... + xy^{n-2} + y^{n-1})
[/tex]

[tex]
(x)(x^{n-1} + x^{n-2}y + ... + xy^{n-2} + y^{n-1}) +
(-y)(x^{n-1} + x^{n-2}y + ... + xy^{n-2} + y^{n-1})
[/tex]

[tex]
(x^{n-1+1} + x^{n-2+1}y + ... + x^{2}y^{n-2} + xy^{n-1}) +
(-x^{n-1}y - x^{n-2}y^{2} - ... - xy^{n-2+1} - y^{n-1+1})
[/tex]

[tex]
x^{n} + x^{n-1}y + ... + x^{2}y^{n-2} + xy^{n-1}
-x^{n-1}y - x^{n-2}y^{2} - ... - xy^{n-1} - y^{n}
[/tex]

[tex]
x^{n} + ... + x^{2}y^{n-2} - x^{n-2}y^{2} - ... - y^{n}
[/tex]

... now I'm stuck.

Last edited:
Well, to prove [tex]x^n-y^n=(x-y)(x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}y+x^{n-3}y^2+...+xy^{n-2}+y^{n-1})[/tex]
we are just going to expand the RHS.

[tex]RHS=x(x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}y+...+xy^{n-2}+y^{n-1}) - y(x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}y+...+xy^{n-2}+y^{n-1})[/tex]

The first factor is expanded:
[tex]x^n+x^{n-1}y+x^{n-2}y^2+...+x^2y^{n-2}+xy^{n-1}[/tex]

The second factor is expanded:
[tex]-(x^{n-1}y+x^{n-2}y^2+...+x^2y^{n-2}+xy^{n-1}+y^n)[/tex]

Do you notice any cancelling pattern happening?

Mentallic said:
Well, to prove [tex]x^n-y^n=(x-y)(x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}y+x^{n-3}y^2+...+xy^{n-2}+y^{n-1})[/tex]
we are just going to expand the RHS.

[tex]RHS=x(x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}y+...+xy^{n-2}+y^{n-1}) - y(x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}y+...+xy^{n-2}+y^{n-1})[/tex]

The first factor is expanded:

The second factor is expanded:
[tex]-(x^{n-1}y+x^{n-2}y^2+...+x^2y^{n-2}+xy^{n-1}+y^n)[/tex]

Do you notice any cancelling pattern happening?

Yeah I knew they all canceled intuitively, just wasn't sure how to show it on paper.
Filling in the blanks one step further makes it more clear.

Well how about making it obvious to the examiner that you realize they cancel by lining up each equal term?

i.e. after the line [tex]x(x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}y+...+xy^{n-2}+y^{n-1}) - y(x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}y+...+xy^{n-2}+y^{n-1})[/tex]

Then expand the first factor on 1 line, then expand the next factor on the line underneath, but keep cancelling factors in line with each other.

[tex]...-x^{n-1}y-x^{n-2}y^2-... -x^2y^{n-2} - xy^{n-1} - y^n[/tex]

get the idea? :smile:

Related to Proving the General Formula for X^n - y^n

1. How do you prove the formula for X^n - y^n?

The formula for X^n - y^n can be proven using mathematical induction. This method involves showing that the formula holds for the base case, typically n = 1, and then assuming that it holds for some arbitrary value of n, and proving that it also holds for n+1. This process is repeated until the desired formula is proven to hold for all values of n.

2. What is the significance of the formula for X^n - y^n?

The formula for X^n - y^n has various applications in mathematics, particularly in algebra and calculus. It is used to factorize polynomial expressions and solve equations involving powers, and is also used in the study of limits and derivatives.

3. Can the formula for X^n - y^n be extended to complex numbers?

Yes, the formula for X^n - y^n can be extended to complex numbers. In this case, the formula becomes (X-y)(X^{n-1}+X^{n-2}y+...+Xy^{n-2}+y^{n-1}), where n is a positive integer. This extension is useful in solving equations involving complex numbers.

4. What happens if n is a negative integer in the formula for X^n - y^n?

If n is a negative integer, the formula for X^n - y^n can be rewritten using negative exponents, which gives (X^{-n}-y^{-n}). This formula can be further simplified using the laws of exponents to give (y^n-X^n). Therefore, the formula still holds for negative values of n.

5. Are there any other methods to prove the formula for X^n - y^n?

Yes, there are other methods to prove the formula for X^n - y^n, such as using logarithms and geometric series. These methods involve manipulating the formula and showing that it reduces to a known identity or series, thus proving its validity.