Proving the Existence of a Greatest Element in a Set

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for making an assertion about the existence of a "greatest" element in a set of unique identifiers under an ordering scheme. It is suggested that the set must be well-ordered and have a distinct greatest element. Other options are considered, such as using the least-upper-bound property, but it is determined that this may not work in all cases. The conversation also mentions the need to prove the assertion for a specific set, rather than just stating it.
gnome
If I'm writing a proof that depends upon the assumption that a set of unique identifiers (integers, names, etc) must have a "greatest" element under some ordering scheme, what do I need in order to be entitled to make that assertion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course I am no mathematician but it seems you would want to show there is a unique element x such that x R y for all y in the set and also that there is no z other than x so that z R x, where R is your ordering relation.

That's more work than I want to do. I don't want to prove anything about the identifiers. I just want to say something like "it is assumed that the elements of U are unique and there is an ordering scheme such that any subset of U has a greatest element" so that I can use that in a proof of something about some algorithm.

But is there a more formal or "preferred" way to make that assertion?

If you want to say any subset of U has a greatest element, I think that's called being well-ordered. But I'm not sure on that; well-ordering might also have some other condition.

Thanks, that's more or less what I wrote:
"there is an underlying assumption that each process has a unique identifier (UID) taken from some totally ordered set of identifiers so there is one process with a "greatest" UID."

I do remember reading a definition of a well-ordered set saying that it's a set S, such that every nonempty subset of S has a least element. Nothing explicitly about a greatest element, but it's so obvious that there must be a theorem to that effect.

So hopefully one of the mathematicians will tell me the "scholarly" way to say that.

I looked it up in mathworld, there's a lot to well-ordering.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/WellOrderedSet.html

Not sure exactly the term you're looking for, then. I think, however, that once you say you have a "least element," you can just flip your definitions around and call the same thing a "greatest element," so long as you are ordering the set arbitrarily.

Thanks. I should've thought to look there. Based on that I think I can just require that my set of UIDs is well-ordered and therefore has a distinct greatest element. I don't have to prove that any particular set is well-ordered, just that my algorithm will use some arbitrary well-ordered set of unique identifiers. And I think it's obvious enough that since by definition every subset of a well-ordered set has a least element, it also has a greatest element (just keep taking away the least element until there's only 1 left).

Why won't the least-upper-bound property work? Just say your sets are all non-empty subsets of a set that has the least-upper-bound property, and they contain their supremum. Wouldn't that work?

well there are two drawbacks to what you suggest:

1) you would have to prove, not just say, that it is true for your set.

2) the least upper bound propery, even when it is true, does not say what he wants, as a subset, in order to have a lub must be itself bounded, and then the lub may not lie in the subset.

mathwonk said:
well there are two drawbacks to what you suggest:

1) you would have to prove, not just say, that it is true for your set.

2) the least upper bound propery, even when it is true, does not say what he wants, as a subset, in order to have a lub must be itself bounded, and then the lub may not lie in the subset.
Ooh, right. Thanks.

Related to Proving the Existence of a Greatest Element in a Set

1. What is the concept of a "greatest element" in a set?

The concept of a greatest element in a set is that it is the largest or highest element in the set. It is also known as the maximum element and is denoted by the symbol "max".

2. How do you prove the existence of a greatest element in a set?

To prove the existence of a greatest element in a set, we need to show that there is at least one element in the set that is larger than or equal to all other elements in the set. This can be done by using the well-ordering principle, which states that every non-empty set of positive integers has a least element. If we can show that our set of numbers is a set of positive integers, then we can conclude that it has a least element, which in this case will be the greatest element.

3. Can all sets have a greatest element?

No, not all sets have a greatest element. This depends on the properties of the set. For example, if we have a set of real numbers, there is no greatest element as there is always a larger number. However, if we have a set of positive integers, it will have a greatest element.

4. What is the importance of proving the existence of a greatest element in a set?

The existence of a greatest element in a set is important as it allows us to determine the largest element in the set, which can be useful in many mathematical applications. It also helps us to establish order and hierarchy in the set, making it easier to work with and analyze.

5. Are there any alternative ways to prove the existence of a greatest element in a set?

Yes, there are alternative ways to prove the existence of a greatest element in a set. One way is to use the least upper bound property, which states that every non-empty set of real numbers that is bounded above has a least upper bound. This can be used to show that a set has a greatest element if it is bounded above and contains all its upper bounds. Another way is to use the completeness axiom, which states that every non-empty set of real numbers that is bounded above has a supremum (least upper bound). If we can show that our set has a supremum, we can conclude that it has a greatest element.