Proving the Equality of Topologies for the Usual and Taxicab Metrics

• Thread starter LMKIYHAQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary: Ok, so in summary, you need to find constants K and L such that sqrt((x-a)^2+(y-b)^2)=r. Then you need to show that |x-a|<=r and |y-b|<=r, which is the same as saying that sqrt((x-a)^2+(y-b)^2)<=r.
LMKIYHAQ

Homework Statement

Let d be the usual metric on RxR and let p be the taxicab metric on RxR. Prove that the topology of d = the topology of p.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to show that the open ball around point (x,y) with E/2 as the radius (in topology d) is a subset of the open ball around point (x,y) with E as the radius (in topology p), which is a subset of the open ball around point(x,y) with E as the radius (in topology d).

I have chosen point (a,b) and assumed it is in the usual metric. I have tried to show then that the point in the taxi-cab metric is less than E, using the usual metric's distance formula less than E/2. I have done some algebra to see that l x-a l + l y-b l < [tex]E^{2}[/tex]. I am not sure how to go from here since I need to show l x-a l + l y-b l < E? Once I get the inequality less than E, then do I show[tex]\sqrt{(x-a)^{2} +(y-b)^{2}}[/tex] < E?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does an open ball of radius r look like in the taxicab metric? Can you picture it? Describe it.

I have already pictured it. I thought the "proof by picture" would be a circle (usual top) inside of a rotated square (diamond shape) for taxi-cab top, and that all inside another larger circle. Is this correct? I am still having trouble with the proof even though I have visualized it.

LMKIYHAQ said:
I have already pictured it. I thought the "proof by picture" would be a circle (usual top) inside of a rotated square (diamond shape) for taxi-cab top, and that all inside another larger circle. Is this correct? I am still having trouble with the proof even though I have visualized it.

Sure. It's a diamond. It's not that hard to prove. You just figure out that the graph of the boundary |x|-|y|=r consists of four intersecting lines. The 'radius' of the diamond is 1/2 the diagonal. So a diamond of radius r is contained in a circle of radius r. What's the radius of a circle contained in a diamond of radius r?

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I can see how what you have said works pictorially but I still can't see how I can use the formula for the usual topoloy < E/2 to get it to say that the taxicab top formula< E. I know once I do this, I will be able to assume the point (a,b) is in the the taxicab metric and then I will have the taxicab metric formula< E and will have to show somehow that the usual top formula < E? Where should I start?

All you have to show is that every ball in the ordinary metric contains a ball in the taxicab metric and vice versa. Isn't that enough to show they induce the same topology? I you know what they look like then just use geometry.

Last edited:
What algebra should I use?

LMKIYHAQ said:
What algebra should I use?

As I appended to the last message just use the geometry, if you know what the shapes look like. E.g. I have a taxicab ball around x of radius R. If I have an ordinary ball around x of radius r, how small does r have to be relative to R to make sure the circle is contained in the diamond?

I guess I am having trouble bc my professor wants me to show in terms of E and E/2 the containment. I know that [tex]\sqrt{(x-a)^{2}+(y-b)^{2}}[/tex]=E for an open ball in the usual and l x-a l +l y-b l=E for the taxicab. I do not know how to show the taxicab is contatined on the usual here.

Ok, so you want to do inequalities instead of geometry. Then you want to find constants K and L such that K*(|x-a|+|y-b|)<=sqrt((x-a)^2+(y-b)^2)<=L*(|x-a|+|y-b|). For L just think about the triangle inequality. For K, suppose sqrt((x-a)^2+(y-b)^2)=r. Then |x-a|<=r and |y-b|<=r, right? So |x-a|+|y-b|<=?

Related to Proving the Equality of Topologies for the Usual and Taxicab Metrics

1. What is the difference between the usual and taxicab metrics?

The usual metric, also known as the Euclidean metric, measures the distance between two points in a straight line. The taxicab metric, also known as the Manhattan metric, measures the distance between two points by only traveling along horizontal and vertical paths.

2. Why is it important to prove the equality of topologies for these metrics?

Proving the equality of topologies for the usual and taxicab metrics allows us to understand the relationship between these two metrics and their respective topologies. This can help us better understand and compare different mathematical structures and how they behave under different metrics.

3. What is a topology and why is it relevant in this context?

A topology is a mathematical concept that describes the properties of a space that are preserved under continuous deformations. In this context, topology is relevant because it helps us understand how the usual and taxicab metrics can be used to define the same mathematical structure, despite their different methods of measuring distance.

4. How is the equality of topologies for the usual and taxicab metrics proven?

The equality of topologies for the usual and taxicab metrics can be proven by showing that any open set in one metric can be transformed into an open set in the other metric and vice versa. This can be done by showing that the basis elements of the two topologies are the same.

5. What are some real-life applications of this proof?

The proof of the equality of topologies for the usual and taxicab metrics has applications in various fields such as computer science, economics, and physics. In computer science, it can be used to optimize algorithms and data structures. In economics, it can be used to model the distance between different markets. In physics, it can be used to understand the behavior of particles in different types of spaces.