Proving that $\mathcal{T}$ is the Smallest Topology Containing $\mathcal{B}$

• Thread starter littleHilbert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, the conversation discusses the sets \mathcal{B} and \mathcal{T} in relation to topology. It is asked to prove that \mathcal{T} is the smallest topology for which all the sets in \mathcal{B} are open. This is proven by showing that every open set in \mathcal{T} is also open in every other topology containing \mathcal{B}. The reasoning for this is correct.
littleHilbert
Hello, could you please check if the reasoning is correct. This is not a homework, just a part of an exercise in a book I'm reading at the moment.

Suppose [tex]X[/tex] is a set, [tex]\mathcal{B}:=\{S\subset{}X:\bigcup{}S=X\}[/tex], \\
[tex]\mathcal{T}:=\{U\subset{}X:U=\bigcup_{\alpha\in{}A}\bigcap_{i\in{}I_\alpha}S_i\}[/tex], where [tex]I_\alpha[/tex] is a finite index set, and [tex]A[/tex] is an arbitrary index set.

(b) It is asked to prove that [tex]\mathcal{T}[/tex] is the smallest topology for which all the sets in [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex] are open, i.e. [tex]\mathcal{T}=\bigcap_{\tau\supset\mathcal{B}}\tau[/tex] is the intersection of all topologies containing [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex].

Let [tex]U[/tex] be an open set, contained in every topology, where [tex]S\in\mathcal{B}[/tex] is among open sets. Then being a subset of [tex]X[/tex] the set [tex]U\subset\bigcup_{S\in\mathcal{B}}S[/tex], so every [tex]x\in{}U[/tex] is in some [tex]S_{\beta}\in\mathcal{B}[/tex]. By assumption every finite intersection of sets in [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex] is open. Intersecting [tex]S_\beta[/tex] with finitely many elements in [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex] that contain [tex]x[/tex] will give us the open subset [tex]\bigcap_{S\in\mathcal{B}'\subset\mathcal{B}}S\subseteq{}S_\beta[/tex]. Taking the union [tex]\bigcup_{x\in{}U}\bigcap_{S\in\mathcal{B}'\subset\mathcal{B}}S[/tex] we thus obtain an open (in each [tex]\tau[/tex]) set, which is of the form given by [tex]\mathcal{T}[/tex].

Conversely, let [tex]U\in\mathcal{T}[/tex] be open. We need to show that [tex]U[/tex] is open in every topology [tex]\tau[/tex], containing [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex]. For some [tex]\alpha\in{}A[/tex] an element [tex]x\in{}U[/tex] is contained in [tex]V:=\bigcap_{i\in{}I_\alpha}S_i[/tex]. But on the other hand [tex]V[/tex] is open in [tex]\tau[/tex] and is a subset of [tex]U[/tex]. This means that every point [tex]x\in{}U[/tex] is contained in a subset of [tex]U[/tex] that is open in [tex]\tau[/tex]. Hence [tex]U[/tex] is a union sets open in [tex]\tau[/tex] and is thus open in [tex]\tau[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Therefore, \mathcal{T} is the smallest topology for which all the sets in \mathcal{B} are open. Yes, your reasoning is correct.

Related to Proving that $\mathcal{T}$ is the Smallest Topology Containing $\mathcal{B}$

What is the definition of a topology?

A topology on a set $X$ is a collection $\mathcal{T}$ of subsets of $X$ that satisfies three axioms: (1) both the empty set and the whole set $X$ are elements of $\mathcal{T}$, (2) the union of any collection of sets in $\mathcal{T}$ is also in $\mathcal{T}$, and (3) the intersection of any finite collection of sets in $\mathcal{T}$ is also in $\mathcal{T}$.

What is the definition of a basis for a topology?

A basis for a topology on a set $X$ is a collection $\mathcal{B}$ of subsets of $X$ such that every element of $\mathcal{T}$, the topology generated by $\mathcal{B}$, can be written as a union of elements of $\mathcal{B}$.

Why is it important to prove that $\mathcal{T}$ is the smallest topology containing $\mathcal{B}$?

Proving that $\mathcal{T}$ is the smallest topology containing $\mathcal{B}$ ensures that all the elements of $\mathcal{T}$ are necessary for defining the topology, and no extra elements are added. This is important for ensuring that the topology is well-defined and consistent with the definition.

How do you prove that $\mathcal{T}$ is the smallest topology containing $\mathcal{B}$?

To prove that $\mathcal{T}$ is the smallest topology containing $\mathcal{B}$, we need to show that $\mathcal{T}$ satisfies the three axioms of a topology, and that every element of $\mathcal{T}$ can be written as a union of elements of $\mathcal{B}$. We also need to show that any other topology $\mathcal{T}'$ that contains $\mathcal{B}$ must also contain all the elements of $\mathcal{T}$, making $\mathcal{T}$ the smallest topology containing $\mathcal{B}$.

Can there be multiple smallest topologies containing $\mathcal{B}$?

No, there can only be one smallest topology containing $\mathcal{B}$, since topologies are defined by their elements and the axioms they satisfy. If there were multiple smallest topologies, they would all have the same elements and satisfy the same axioms, making them the same topology.