Proving \sum_{i=0}^n (i-3) \geq \frac{n^2}{4} with Mathematical Induction

In summary, the conversation discusses using mathematical induction to prove the inequality \sum_{i=0}^n (i-3) \geq \frac{n^2}{4}. The base step is shown to hold for n=12, and the inductive step is then considered. The process of rewriting the summation is discussed and eventually leads to the equation \sum_{i=0}^n (i-3)+ n- 2 = \frac{(n+1)^2}{4} + (n+1). The conversation ends with a humorous acknowledgement of the difficulty of the problem.
James889
Hi,

I need some help with mathematical induction

The question is as follows:

prove that [tex]\sum_{i=0}^n (i-3) \geq \frac{n^2}{4}[/tex]

I have shown that it holds for the base step where n=12
[tex]\frac{144}{4} = 36[/tex]
and the sum of all the i's up to 12 [tex]-3,-2,-1,0,+1,+2,+3,+4,+5,+6,+7,+8,+9 = 39[/tex]

[tex]39\geq36[/tex]

Now for the inductive step:
[tex] \sum_{i=0}^{n+1} [/tex]
and i know this can be rewritten, but I am not sure how
either it's [tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n} (i-3)(i-3)~~ \text{or}~~\sum_{i=0}^{n} (i-3)+(i-3)[/tex]

How do i proceed from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you need
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n+1} (i-3) = ((n+1)-3) + \sum_{i=0}^{n} (i-3)[/tex]

then assuming the proposition is true for n leads to
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n+1} (i-3) = ((n+1)-3) + \sum_{i=0}^{n} (i-3) \geq ((n+1)-3) + \frac{n^2}{4}[/tex]

The last term, that you want to take out of the sum, has i= n+1 so i- 3= n+1-3= n- 2.

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n+1}(i- 3)= \sum_{i=0}^n (i- 3)+ (n+1- 3)= \sum_{i=0}^n (i-3)+ n- 2[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
The last term, that you want to take out of the sum, has i= n+1 so i- 3= n+1-3= n- 2.

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n+1}(i- 3)= \sum_{i=0}^n (i- 3)+ (n+1- 3)= \sum_{i=0}^n (i-3)+ n- 2[/tex]

Okay,
Then you have to add (n+1) to the other side of the equation as well?
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^n (i-3)+ n- 2 = \frac{(n+1)^2}{4} + (n+1)[/tex]

James889 said:
Okay,
Then you have to add (n+1) to the other side of the equation as well?
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^n (i-3)+ n- 2 = \frac{(n+1)^2}{4} + (n+1)[/tex]
?? No, add n- 2 to other side as well!

HallsofIvy said:
?? No, add n- 2 to other side as well!

Haha, I am so bad at this, it's almost funny :biggrin:

Related to Proving \sum_{i=0}^n (i-3) \geq \frac{n^2}{4} with Mathematical Induction

What is Mathematical Induction?

Mathematical Induction is a proof technique used to prove statements about mathematical objects that depend on a natural number n. It involves two steps: the base case, where the statement is shown to be true for a specific value of n, and the inductive step, where it is shown that if the statement is true for one value of n, it must also be true for the next value of n.

How does Mathematical Induction work?

The base case is usually the simplest case, where the statement can be easily proven to be true. Then, in the inductive step, the statement is assumed to be true for some value of n, and using this assumption, it is shown to be true for the next value of n. Since it has been shown to be true for the first value of n and the next value of n, it can be concluded that it is true for all values of n.

Why is Mathematical Induction a valid proof technique?

Mathematical Induction is based on the principle of mathematical induction, which states that if a statement is true for the first value of n and it is also true for the next value of n whenever it is true for the previous value of n, then it must be true for all values of n. This principle is accepted as a valid logical argument, making mathematical induction a valid proof technique.

How is Mathematical Induction used to prove the given statement?

To prove the statement \sum_{i=0}^n (i-3) \geq \frac{n^2}{4} with Mathematical Induction, we first show that it is true for the base case, n = 0. Then, we assume that it is true for some value of n and use this assumption to show that it is also true for the next value of n. This completes the inductive step and proves that the statement is true for all values of n.

What are the common mistakes made when using Mathematical Induction?

Some common mistakes include not proving the base case, not properly stating the inductive hypothesis, and assuming that the statement is true for all values of n without properly showing the inductive step. It is important to carefully follow the steps of mathematical induction to ensure a valid proof.