Proving Sum of Cosines Simplifies to Trig Identity

In summary, the given expression $\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n\cos k\theta = \text{Re}\left(\frac{1 - e^{i(n + 1)\theta}}{1 - e^{i\theta}}\right)$ can be simplified to $\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n\cos k\theta = \frac{\sin\left(\frac{n + 1}{2}\theta\right)}{\sin\frac{\theta}{2}}\cos\frac{n}{2}\theta$ by using the identity $e^{i\theta} - 1 = 2ie^{i\frac{\theta}{2}}\sin\frac{\
Dustinsfl
Prove that the $\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n\cos k\theta = \text{Re}\left(\frac{1 - e^{i(n + 1)\theta}}{1 - e^{i\theta}}\right)$ simplifies to
$$
\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n\cos k\theta = \frac{\sin\left(\frac{n + 1}{2}\theta\right)}{\sin\frac{\theta}{2}}\cos\frac{n}{2}\theta
$$

So I have that the real part is
$$
\frac{1-\sin^2\theta + \cos\theta\cos(n+1)\theta-\cos\theta-\cos(n+1)\theta}{4\sin^2\frac{\theta}{2}}
$$

However, I don't see which trig identities will help here.

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Prove that the $\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n\cos k\theta = \text{Re}\left(\frac{1 - e^{i(n + 1)\theta}}{1 - e^{i\theta}}\right)$ simplifies to
$$
\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n\cos k\theta = \frac{\sin\left(\frac{n + 1}{2}\theta\right)}{\sin\frac{\theta}{2}}\cos\frac{n}{2}\theta
$$

So I have that the real part is
$$
\frac{1-\sin^2\theta + \cos\theta\cos(n+1)\theta-\cos\theta-\cos(n+1)\theta}{4\sin^2\frac{\theta}{2}}
$$

However, I don't see which trig identities will help here.

Hi dwsmith, :)

With reference to your thread http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f13/basics-fourier-series-1717/ we have,

\[e^{i\theta} - 1 = 2ie^{i\frac{\theta}{2}}\sin\frac{\theta}{2}\]

\[\Rightarrow e^{i(n+1)\theta} - 1 = 2ie^{i\frac{(n+1)\theta}{2}}\sin\frac{(n+1)\theta}{2}\]

Therefore,

\begin{eqnarray}

\text{Re}\left(\frac{1 - e^{i(n + 1)\theta}}{1 - e^{i\theta}}\right)&=&\text{Re}\left(\frac{2ie^{i \frac{(n+1)\theta}{2}}\sin\frac{(n+1)\theta}{2}}{2ie^{i \frac{\theta}{2}}\sin\frac{\theta}{2}}\right)\\

&=&\text{Re}\left(\frac{e^{\frac{i n\theta}{2}}\sin\frac{(n+1)\theta}{2}}{\sin\frac{ \theta}{2}}\right)\\

&=&\frac{\sin\frac{(n+1) \theta}{2}}{\sin\frac{ \theta}{2}}\text{Re}\left(e^{\frac{i n\theta}{2}}\right)\\

&=&\frac{\cos\frac{n\theta}{2}\sin\frac{(n+1) \theta}{2}}{\sin\frac{ \theta}{2}}

\end{eqnarray}

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Related to Proving Sum of Cosines Simplifies to Trig Identity

What is the sum of cosines identity?

The sum of cosines identity, also known as the cosine sum formula, states that the sum of two cosines is equal to the product of their individual cosines plus the product of their individual sines.

How do you prove the sum of cosines identity?

To prove the sum of cosines identity, you can use the cosine sum formula and apply the Pythagorean identity to simplify the expression.

What are the steps to simplify the sum of cosines to the trig identity?

The steps to simplify the sum of cosines to the trig identity are:
1. Write the cosine sum formula: cos(a + b) = cos(a)cos(b) - sin(a)sin(b)
2. Apply the Pythagorean identity: sin²(x) + cos²(x) = 1
3. Substitute the Pythagorean identity into the cosine sum formula.
4. Simplify the expression to get the trig identity: cos(a + b) = cos(a)cos(b) - sin(a)sin(b) = cos(a + b).

What is the difference between the sum of cosines and the cosine sum identity?

The sum of cosines refers to the actual sum of two cosine functions, while the cosine sum identity is a formula that represents the relationship between the sum of cosines and the product of their individual cosines and sines.

Why is it important to understand the sum of cosines identity?

The sum of cosines identity is a fundamental concept in trigonometry and is used in various applications, including solving trigonometric equations and simplifying trigonometric expressions. Understanding this identity can also help in understanding other trigonometric identities and their applications in mathematics and science.