Proving SL_2(C) Homeomorphic to SU(2)xT & Simple Connectedness

In summary, the conversation discusses the QR decomposition and its use in proving that SL(2,C) is homeomorphic to the product SU(2) × T, where T is the set of upper-triangular 2×2-complex matrices with real positive entries at the diagonal. This also implies that SL(2,C) is simply-connected. The conversation also mentions a map between SU(2) × T and SL(2,C) and its injectivity and surjectivity, as well as the continuity of this map and its inverse. The use of determinant in this map is also mentioned.
aalma
Using the QR decomposition (the complex version) I want to prove that ##SL_2(C)## is homeomorphic to the product ##SU(2) × T## where ##T## is the set of upper-triangular 2×2-complex matrices with real positive entries at the diagonal. Deduce that ##SL(2, C)## is simply-connect.

So, I can define a map ##SU(2)×T–>SL(2,C)## given by: ##(u,t) –> ut## where ##u \in SU(2)## and ##t \in T## (from QR decomposition we have that each ##A## in ##GL(2,C)## can be written as ##ut## where ##u \in U(n)## and ##t \in T## (##T## mentioned above)).
We have that the intersection ##SU(2)\cap T=1##.
This map is injective:
if ##u_1t_1=u_2t_2## then this gives
##u_2^{-1}u_1=t_2t_1^{-1} \in SU(2)\cap T## so ##u_1=u_2## and ##t_1=t_2##.
Can I say that this map is surjective by the QR decomposition?
why is this map and its inverse contiuous?

Thanks for help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org