Proving sin(x + pi/2) = cos(x)

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about proving the trigonometric identity sin(x + pi/2) = cos(x), and the different methods that can be used to do so. The conversation includes discussing using the angle addition formula, using the Euler's formula and Taylor expansion, and graphically proving the identity. A student also shares a simple trigonometric proof involving right triangles.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

This always seemed intuitive to me, but when I tried to prove it I got stuck:

sin(x +pi/2) = cos(x)

It is easy with the angle addition formula, but is there another way?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
how else do u want to prove it?
consider

[tex]
e^{i(\theta + \pi/2)} = \cos (\theta + \pi/2) +i \sin (\theta + \pi/2) \qquad\quad (1)
[/tex]

[tex]
e^{i(\theta + \pi/2)} = e^{i\theta} e^{i\pi/2} = i e^{i\theta}
= -\sin (\theta) + i \cos (\theta) \quad (2)
[/tex]

equating Re and I am part of (1) and (2) to get two relationships between sin and cos.

I love the beauty of this mathematical proof:

Using Taylor expansion about [itex]x=0[/itex]:

[tex]\cos(x) = 1 - \frac{1}{2}x^2 + \frac{1}{24}x^4 + ...[/tex]

[tex]\sin(x) = x - \frac{1}{6}x^3 + \frac{1}{120}x^5 + ...[/tex]

and:
[tex]e^{ix} = 1 + ix - \frac{1}{2}x^2 - i\frac{1}{6}x^3 + ... + \frac{i^n}{n!}x^n[/tex]

So
[tex]e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i\sin(x)[/tex]

It still amazes me, absolutely incredible :P

Sam

ehrenfest said:

Homework Statement

This always seemed intuitive to me, but when I tried to prove it I got stuck:

sin(x +pi/2) = cos(x)

It is easy with the angle addition formula, but is there another way?

There are many ways. The analytical approaches are very nice, but awfully sophisticated and high-powered.

This trig relation just came up in the work I'm doing with students on torque. Here's a trigonometric proof (which I'll describe rather than scanning and uploading a drawing):

Draw a right triangle and mark one of the non-right angles, theta. The other angle is of course complimentary, so it's (90º - theta); the sine of this angle will be the cosine of the other angle, which is the familiar "co-relation"

[tex] sin(90º - \theta) = cos \theta[/tex].

Now extend the side of the triangle adjacent to the complimentary angle outward away from the right angle. The angle between that ray and the hypotenuse is supplementary to the angle (90º - theta), so its measure is 180º - (90º - theta) = 90º + theta . But the sine of a supplementary angle is the same as the sine of the angle itself:

[tex] sin(180º - \theta) = sin \theta[/tex] , so

[tex] sin(90º + \theta) = sin(90º - \theta) = cos \theta[/tex]. Q.E.D.

P.S. *heh* I just thought of a graphical way to prove it. The graph of sin x looks like the graph of cos x translated to the right by [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]. So if you shift the graph of sin x to the left by the same amount, you have [tex] sin( x + \frac{\pi}{2}) = cos x [/tex].

Last edited:

Related to Proving sin(x + pi/2) = cos(x)

1. Can you prove that sin(x + pi/2) = cos(x)?

Yes, this identity can be proven using the sum formula for sine and cosine. By substituting pi/2 for the angle in the sum formula, we can simplify the expression and show that sin(x + pi/2) = cos(x).

2. What is the intuitive explanation for sin(x + pi/2) = cos(x)?

The intuitive explanation is that when x + pi/2 is added to an angle, it results in a 90 degree rotation of the original angle. This rotation changes the sine value to the cosine value, hence the identity sin(x + pi/2) = cos(x).

3. How does this identity relate to the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin on a coordinate plane. The x-axis represents the cosine values and the y-axis represents the sine values. When an angle is rotated by pi/2, it moves clockwise or counterclockwise along the unit circle, changing the sine value to the cosine value and vice versa.

4. Is this identity only true for certain values of x?

No, this identity is true for all values of x. It is a fundamental trigonometric identity that holds true for any angle in radians or degrees.

5. What other trigonometric identities can be derived from sin(x + pi/2) = cos(x)?

From this identity, we can also derive the identities cos(x + pi/2) = -sin(x) and sin(x - pi/2) = -cos(x). These identities can be useful when solving trigonometric equations and simplifying expressions involving sine and cosine.