Proving Positive WFFs with Induction

In summary, structural induction on arithmetic expressions is a way of proving properties of the expression without having to actually use the expression.
kp100591
hello, i was wondering if anyone could help me with this induction proof.
thank you

A positive well-formed formula in the Propositional Calculus is a well-formed formula that avoids all use of the negation symbol ∼ .
(a) Use induction on the length of a wff to prove that if W = W(P1,...,Pn) is a positive wff in terms of propositional variables P1, . . . , Pn, then
V(P1) = ... = V(Pn) = T implies V(W)=T .

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello again, and welcome to the forum! I am glad you found MHB. I like it more than MMF. Nevertheless, I gave you a pretty detailed help in this thread on MMF, and I think it would make sense to start from there. I believe the information I wrote is necessary in order to understand structural induction. (Induction on formula length is almost the same as structural induction on formulas themselves, and I believe the latter concept is cleaner.) If you have any questions about it, I would be happy to answer them here.

I also know that many textbooks on logic and computer science have introductory sections that discuss structural induction because it is an indispensable tool for proving properties of formulas. I am wondering if your textbook has it as well. If you need book references, let us know.

The fact you need to prove is similar to the following. If you have an arithmetic expression $f(x_1,\dots,x_n)$ that uses variables $x_1,\dots,x_n$ and only addition and multiplication (no subtraction or division), then this expression is monotonic. That is, if $x_1\le y_1$, ..., $x_n\le y_n$, then $f(x_1,\dots,x_n)\le f(y_1,\dots,y_n)$. Intuituvely, this is obvious: this is true if $f(x)=x$, and multiplication and addition are monotonic, i.e., greater arguments lead to greater results. Formally, this is proved by structural induction on $f$.

Related to Proving Positive WFFs with Induction

1. What is the purpose of proving positive WFFs with induction?

The purpose of proving positive WFFs with induction is to show that a given statement or formula is true for all possible cases or values within a certain set. This method of proof is commonly used in mathematics and computer science to demonstrate the validity of a particular statement or formula.

2. How does induction work in proving positive WFFs?

Induction involves proving a statement for a base case, typically the smallest value or simplest case, and then assuming that the statement holds for a general case. By showing that the statement holds for the base case and that it also holds for the next case, it can be concluded that the statement is true for all cases within the set.

3. What are the steps involved in proving positive WFFs with induction?

The steps in proving positive WFFs with induction are as follows:

1. Prove the statement for the base case.
  2. Assume the statement holds for a general case.
  3. Show that the statement also holds for the next case.
  4. Conclude that the statement is true for all cases within the set.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in proving positive WFFs with induction?

Some common mistakes to avoid in proving positive WFFs with induction include:

• Not clearly stating the base case or general case being assumed.
  • Not showing how the statement holds for the next case.
  • Assuming that the statement holds for all cases without proper proof.
  • Using examples instead of general cases to demonstrate the validity of the statement.

5. What are some examples of proving positive WFFs with induction?

One example of proving positive WFFs with induction is demonstrating that the sum of the first n positive integers is n(n+1)/2. This can be proven by showing that the statement holds for the base case of n=1, assuming it holds for a general case of n=k, and then showing that it also holds for the next case of n=k+1. Another example is proving that the product of two even numbers is always even by using induction on the smallest even number.