Proving Midpts of Quadrilateral Make Parallelogram: Position Vectors

In summary: In the book it's givenPQ= position vector of Q - position vector of P How so? Is there any particular standard formula for this that I am missing?There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. However, you can use the following formula to calculate the position vector of a point on a parallelogram:##\vec{OP} + \vec{PQ} = \vec{AR}##
gracy
While proving the Midpoints of the Sides of a Quadrilateral Form a Parallelogram , I got bogged down with position vectors.

parallel.png

Let a,b,c and d be the position vectors of A,B,C and D. But where is the origin? Aren't we supposed to locate position of origin?

Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
Let a,b,c and d be the position vectors of A,B,C and D. But where is the origin? Aren't we supposed to locate position of origin?

You can put the origin wherever you like. I might put it at point ##A##.

Likes gracy
If we take origin at A, position vector of A that is given to be a will be 0,0 . Right?

As PeroK said, you can put the origin at any point as per your convenience.
gracy said:
While proving the Midpoints of the Sides of a Quadrilateral Form a Parallelogram ,
This problem can be solved using simple properties of triangle.

Likes gracy
gracy said:
If we take origin at A, position vector of A that is given to be a will be 0,0 . Right?

I'd say the position vector of ##A## in that case is ##\vec{0}##. This may simplify the problem.

Likes gracy
I want to use the following formula for position vector of mid point
Su58k03_m27.gif

For that I need origin other than point A.

gracy said:
I want to use the following formula for position vector of mid point
Su58k03_m27.gif

For that I need origin other than point A.

That's the right formula, but it's even simpler with ##\vec{OA} = \vec{0}##.

Likes gracy
If we take ##\vec{OA}## = ##\vec{0}##
The formula will be reduced to
##\vec{OM}## = ##\frac{OB}{2}##
(I meant position vector of OB , I don't know how to get vector sign on top of OB)

gracy said:
If we take ##\vec{OA}## = ##\vec{0}##
The formula will be reduced to
##\vec{OM}## = ##\frac{OB}{2}##
(I meant position vector of OB , I don't know how to get vector sign on top of OB)

Okay, that gives you the position vector of point ##P##.

Have you thought yet about what you need to do to show that ##PQRS## is a parallelogram?

Likes gracy
In the book it's given
PQ= position vector of Q - position vector of P
How so? Is there any particular standard formula for this that I am missing?

gracy said:
In the book it's given

It's not a formula. But, what defines a parallelogram?

Likes gracy
PeroK said:
what defines a parallelogram?
A Parallelogram has opposite sides parallel and equal in length.

gracy said:
Parallelogram has opposite sides parallel.

Good. Think a bit more about what you need to do to show this.

gracy said:
In the book it's given

You can get from the origin to point ##Q## in two ways:

##\vec{OQ}##

Or:

##\vec{OP} + \vec{PQ}##

Therefore:

##\vec{OQ} = \vec{OP} + \vec{PQ}##

Likes gracy

Related to Proving Midpts of Quadrilateral Make Parallelogram: Position Vectors

What is the concept behind proving midpoints of a quadrilateral make a parallelogram using position vectors?

The concept behind this proof is based on the fact that if the midpoints of a quadrilateral are connected, they will form a parallelogram. This is because the opposite sides of a parallelogram are equal and parallel, and the diagonals of a parallelogram bisect each other.

What are position vectors and how are they used in this proof?

Position vectors are vectors that represent the position or location of a point in space. In this proof, we use position vectors to represent the coordinates of the vertices of the quadrilateral. By using position vectors, we can easily calculate the midpoints of the sides of the quadrilateral and show that they form a parallelogram.

What are the steps involved in proving midpoints of a quadrilateral make a parallelogram using position vectors?

The steps involved in this proof are as follows:

1. Assign position vectors to the vertices of the quadrilateral
  2. Calculate the midpoints of the sides of the quadrilateral using the formula (a + b)/2, where a and b are the position vectors of the endpoints of the side
  3. Show that the opposite sides of the resulting parallelogram are equal by calculating the lengths of the sides using the distance formula
  4. Show that the diagonals of the resulting parallelogram bisect each other by calculating the midpoint of the diagonal and showing it is the same as the midpoint of the opposite diagonal
  5. Conclude that the midpoints of the quadrilateral form a parallelogram by proving that all the properties of a parallelogram are satisfied

Why is it important to prove midpoints of a quadrilateral make a parallelogram using position vectors?

Proving this property using position vectors is important because it provides a mathematical explanation for why the midpoints of a quadrilateral form a parallelogram. It also helps to strengthen our understanding of vectors and their properties in geometry.

Can this proof be generalized to other shapes besides quadrilaterals?

Yes, this proof can be generalized to any polygon with an even number of sides. The same steps can be followed to show that the midpoints of the sides of any polygon with an even number of sides will form a parallelogram.