Proving lemma about regular pentagons?

• Thread starter quackdesk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Regular
In summary: I can't seem to find any information about this.I think I overlooked the possibility of a vertex of the triangle touching a vertex of the square. I can't seem to find any information about this.
quackdesk
Proving lemma about regular polygons?

Homework Statement

Can a n-1 sided regular polygon be inscribed in n sided regular polygon for
[itex]\forall n \in \mathbb {N} \gt 3[/itex]

Homework Equations

N/A
The area of n-1 sided regular polygon may be the largest of any n-1 polygon which is to be inscribed.

The Attempt at a Solution

PS. It is polygon of course not pentagon MY BAD!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A pentagon has always 5 sides.

It should be possible to derive an equation for the "height" of those polygons. If they fit in each other, one side can be identical, and it will become interesting on the opposite side(s), I think.

mfb said:
A pentagon has always 5 sides.

It should be possible to derive an equation for the "height" of those polygons. If they fit in each other, one side can be identical, and it will become interesting on the opposite side(s), I think.
I don't think having a common side will work even with trying to inscribe an equilateral triangle into a square.

Last edited:
Hmm... I am unsure how to interpret the question now.

- does the inscribed polygon have to touch all sides, with arbitrary side lengths?
- do we have the same side length, and the polygon just have to fit inside? <- my interpretation in post 2

mfb said:
Hmm... I am unsure how to interpret the question now.

- does the inscribed polygon have to touch all sides, with arbitrary side lengths?
- do we have the same side length, and the polygon just have to fit inside? <- my interpretation in post 2

He said they had to be regular polygons so the sides must be equal length. They can't touch all sides; consider the equilateral triangle in a square. My interpretation would be the the inscribed polygon must have its vertices touching the outer polygon. That said, I have nothing to say about how to proceed.

The polygons are regular, so all n sides have the same length, of course. But what about the inscribed polygon? Does it have to have the same side length as well?

They can't touch all sides; consider the equilateral triangle in a square.
That is a part of the solution (n=4), if the inner polygon has to touch all sides of the outer polygon.

Independent of the interpretation, there is a symmetry we can use.

LCKurtz said:
. They can't touch all sides; consider the equilateral triangle in a square.

mfb said:
That is a part of the solution (n=4), if the inner polygon has to touch all sides of the outer polygon.

Independent of the interpretation, there is a symmetry we can use.

I think I overlooked the possibility of a vertex of the triangle touching a vertex of the square.

Related to Proving lemma about regular pentagons?

1. What is a lemma?

A lemma is a proven statement or theorem that is used to support a larger proof. It is often a smaller, simpler version of the main statement being proven.

2. What is a regular pentagon?

A regular pentagon is a polygon with five sides and five angles, where all sides and angles are equal in measure. It is a type of regular polygon, which is a polygon with all equal sides and angles.

3. How do you prove a lemma about regular pentagons?

To prove a lemma about regular pentagons, you would typically use deductive reasoning and mathematical principles such as geometry or algebra. You would also need to provide a logical explanation for each step of the proof.

4. Why are lemmas important in mathematics?

Lemmas are important in mathematics because they help to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. They also serve as building blocks for larger proofs and can be used to prove more complex statements and theorems.

5. Can a lemma about regular pentagons be used for other shapes?

It depends on the specific lemma. Some lemmas about regular pentagons may be applicable to other regular polygons, while others may only apply to pentagons specifically. It is important to carefully consider the properties and characteristics of the shape in question when determining the applicability of a lemma.