Proving integration for a bounded increasing function

In summary, we are given a bounded, increasing function f on [a,b] and we need to show that it is integrable. We can do this by showing that for any partition p of [a,b] into n sub-intervals, the difference between the upper sum and lower sum (Sp - sp) is less than any given ε>0. This can be achieved by choosing a partition p such that the maximum sub-interval length L is less than ε/(f(b) - f(a)), where f(a) and f(b) are the lower and upper bounds of f. This shows that f is integrable on [a,b].
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Suppose that f is a bounded, increasing function on [a,b]. If p is the partition of [a,b] into n equal sub intervals, compute Sp - sp and hence show f is integrable on [a,b]. What can you say about a decreasing function?

Homework Equations

We partition [a,b] into sub-intervals.

For each i, we let : [itex]m_i = inf \left\{{f(x)|x_{i-1} ≤ x ≤ x_i}\right\}[/itex] and [itex]M_i = sup \left\{{f(x)|x_{i-1} ≤ x ≤ x_i}\right\}[/itex]

Now, we define [itex]s_p = \sum_{i=1}^{n} m_i Δx_i[/itex] as the lower sum and [itex]S_p = \sum_{i=1}^{n} M_i Δx_i[/itex] as the upper sum.

Some more info in my notes :

Let [itex]M = sup \left\{{f(x)|x \in [a,b]}\right\}[/itex] and [itex]m = inf \left\{{f(x)|x \in [a,b]}\right\}[/itex]. Then we get sp ≤ M(b-a) so the set of all possible sp is bounded above.

Let I = sup{sp} and J = inf{Sp}

Definition : if I = J, then f(x) is integrable.

Now another theorem I could use : For a bounded function f on [a,b]. f is integrable if and only if :

[itex]\forall ε>0[/itex] there is a partition p of [a,b] such that Sp < sp + ε.

The Attempt at a Solution

So we are given that f is a bounded increasing function. This means that m ≤ f ≤ M for some lower bound m and upper bound M. For any partition p of [a,b] into n sub-intervals, we also have :

[itex]m_i = inf \left\{{f(x)|x_{i-1} ≤ x ≤ x_i}\right\}[/itex] and [itex]M_i = sup \left\{{f(x)|x_{i-1} ≤ x ≤ x_i}\right\}[/itex]

Now before I jump any further I want to confirm the direction I'm going in. I have two theorems I provided and I'm wondering which one is more appropriate to use here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have an idea about how the information given relates, so continuing from my first post :

So we are given that f is a bounded increasing function. This means that m ≤ f ≤ M for some lower bound m and upper bound M. For any partition p of [a,b] into n sub-intervals, we also have :

[itex]m_i = inf \left\{{f(x)|x_{i-1} ≤ x ≤ x_i}\right\}[/itex] and [itex]M_i = sup \left\{{f(x)|x_{i-1} ≤ x ≤ x_i}\right\}[/itex]

Now, writing out the upper sum we get : [itex]S_p = \sum_{i=1}^{n} M_iΔx_i[/itex] and the lower sum : [itex]s_p = \sum_{i=1}^{n} m_iΔx_i[/itex]

So we get :

[itex]S_p - s_p = \sum_{i=1}^{n} (M_i - m_i)Δx_i = \sum_{i=1}^{n} (f(x_i) - f(x_{i-1}))(\frac{b-a}{n})[/itex]

I think this the path I'm trying to take.

Sorry for all the posting, but since no one has responded I believe I have pieced this puzzle together. So I'll write it out cleanly here.

So we are given that f is a bounded increasing function on [a,b]. This means that f(a) ≤ f(x) ≤ f(b) for any x in [a,b]. Hence f(a) is a lower bound for f and f(b) is an upper bound so that f is bounded. We need to show that for any ε>0, we can choose any partition p of [a,b] into n sub-intervals such that Sp - sp < ε. Suppose p is the partition [itex]\left\{{x_0, x_1, ..., x_n}\right\}[/itex].

We let : [itex]L = \displaystyle\max_{1≤i≤n}(x_i - x_{i-1}) < \frac{ε}{f(b) - f(a)} = Q[/itex]

Now, we define :

Now, writing out the upper sum we get : [itex]S_p = \sum_{i=1}^{n} M_iΔx_i[/itex] and the lower sum : [itex]s_p = \sum_{i=1}^{n} m_iΔx_i[/itex]

So we get :

[itex]S_p - s_p = \sum_{i=1}^{n} (M_i - m_i)Δx_i ≤ \sum_{i=1}^{n} (f(x_i) - f(x_{i-1}))L = (f(b) - f(a))L < (f(b) - f(a))Q = ε[/itex]

Hence f is integrable on [a,b] since Sp - sp < ε.

Is this good? It's my first time trying one of these.

Last edited:

Related to Proving integration for a bounded increasing function

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to measure quantities such as distance, volume, and time.

What does it mean for a function to be bounded and increasing?

A bounded function is one that has a maximum and minimum value, and stays within those values on a given interval. An increasing function is one that always increases as its input value increases.

Why is it important to prove integration for a bounded increasing function?

Proving integration for a bounded increasing function is important because it ensures that the integration process is accurate and can be relied upon for solving real-world problems. It also helps to verify the consistency and validity of the function.

What is the process for proving integration for a bounded increasing function?

The process for proving integration for a bounded increasing function involves first showing that the function is bounded and increasing on a given interval. Then, the Riemann sum method can be used to approximate the area under the curve. Finally, taking the limit of the Riemann sum as the number of subintervals approaches infinity proves the integration for the function.

Are there any limitations to proving integration for a bounded increasing function?

Yes, there are limitations to proving integration for a bounded increasing function. It can be a complex and time-consuming process, and may not be possible for all functions. Additionally, the accuracy of the integration depends on the smoothness of the function and the number of subintervals used in the Riemann sum.