Proving Homomorphism in Commutative Subalgebras of Bounded Operators

• MHB
  • Thread starter Boromir
  • Start date
In summary, we are proving that for a commutative unital subalgebra A of B(H), and T in A, the spectrum of T is equal to the range of the Gelfand transform of T. Furthermore, the homomorphisms from A to the scalars are exactly the point evaluation functions on the structure space X. This can be used to show that A is closed under inverses, as the inverse Gelfand transform belongs to A and is equal to the inverse of T.
Boromir
Let A be a communitative unital subalgebra of B(H) (the set of bounded operators on a hilbert space). Let T be in A. Prove that for all x in the spectrum of T, there is a homomorphism h on A such that h(T)=x. Give the homomorphism explicity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Boromir said:
Let A be a communitative unital subalgebra of B(H) (the set of bounded operators on a hilbert space). Let T be in A. Prove that for all x in the spectrum of T, there is a homomorphism h on A such that h(T)=x. Give the homomorphism explicity.
Hi Boromir, and welcome to MHB!

Can you give us some idea of what you know about such algebras? Is the algebra A supposed to be selfadjoint? If so, then the spectral theorem will apply. That might give you a handle on the problem.

Opalg said:

Can you give us some idea of what you know about such algebras? Is the algebra A supposed to be selfadjoint? If so, then the spectral theorem will apply. That might give you a handle on the problem.

Thanks for the welcome Opalg

I'm afraid I'm in the process of trying to prove the spectral theorem. I will give you more context. I'm trying to prove that for T in A, the spectrum of T is {h(T):h is a non-zero homomorphism A->C}. I have proved that h(T) is in the spectrum so now I need the reverse inclusion. That is, that every member of the spectrum is equal to h(T) for some (non-zero) homomorphism h. I don't want to go down the road of ideals as the proofs on the internet do as I'm specifically focusing on the space B(H).
Nearly forgot, the algebra is adjoint preserving

Last edited:
Opalg said:

Do you think I am trying to 'square the circle' as in there needs to be an assumption of commutativity which is not present in B(H)?

The key to this is the commutative Gelfand–Naimark theorem.

The problem is unchanged if we replace $A$ by its closure (in the operator norm topology). So we may as well assume that $A$ is closed. Now that you have added the crucial information that $A$ is selfadjoint (i.e. closed under the adjoint operation), it follows that $A$ is a commutative unital C*-algebra. The G–N theorem then tells you that there is an isometric isomorphism $\phi:A\to C(X)$ from $A$ to the algebra of continuous functions on a compact Hausdorff space $X$ (the structure space or spectrum of $A$). It follows fairly easily that the spectrum of $T$ is equal to the range of the function $\phi(T)$. Also, the homomorphisms from $A$ to the scalars are exactly the point evaluation functions on $X$, in other words functions of the form $S\mapsto (\phi(S))(x)$ for $x\in X$ and $S\in A$. That is all you need to deduce the result.

Last edited:
Opalg said:

The problem is unchanged if we replace $A$ by its closure (in the operator norm topology). So we may as well assume that $A$ is closed. Now that you have added the crucial information that $A$ is selfadjoint (i.e. closed under the adjoint operation), it follows that $A$ is a commutative unital C*-algebra. The G–N theorem then tells you that there is an isometric isomorphism $\phi:A\to C(X)$ from $A$ to the algebra of continuous functions on a compact Hausdorff space $X$ (the structure space or spectrum of $A$). It follows fairly easily that the spectrum of $T$ is equal to the range of the function $\phi(T)$. Also, the homomorphisms from $A$ to the scalars are exactly the point evaluation functions on $X$, in other words functions of the form $S\mapsto (\phi(S))(x)$ for $x\in X$ and $S\in A$. That is all you need to deduce the result.

On a separate but related note, why is A closed under inverses i.e. if T has an inverse, then the inverse is in A

Boromir said:
On a separate but related note, why is A closed under inverses i.e. if T has an inverse, then the inverse is in A
That also comes from the G–N theorem. If $T$ has an inverse then its Gelfand transform $\phi(T)$ never takes the value $0$ and therefore has an inverse, namely the function $f(x) = 1/((\phi(T))(x))$. The inverse Gelfand transform $\phi^{-1}(f)$ belongs to $A$ and is equal to $T^{-1}$.

Opalg said:

Taking as a concrete example the set of polynomials generated by T and it's adjoint, you are saying that the map $p(T,T^*)$->$p(x,x*)$ where x is any fixed member of the spectrum is a homomorphism? Does it preserve the 'multiplication? Well, given polynomials p,g, we have $p(g(T,T^*))$->$p(g(x,x*))$ but that does not equal $p(x,x*)$$g(x,x*)$ which is the multiplication in C. Or am I missing something?

Boromir said:
Taking as a concrete example the set of polynomials generated by T and it's adjoint, you are saying that the map $p(T,T^*)$->$p(x,x*)$ where x is any fixed member of the spectrum is a homomorphism? Does it preserve the 'multiplication? Well, given polynomials p,g, we have $p(g(T,T^*))$->$p(g(x,x*))$ but that does not equal $p(x,x*)$$g(x,x*)$ which is the multiplication in C. Or am I missing something?
The product of the polynomials $p(T,T^*)$ and $g(T,T^*)$ is $p(T,T^*)g(T,T^*)$, not $p(g(T,T^*))$.

Opalg said:
The product of the polynomials $p(T,T^*)$ and $g(T,T^*)$ is $p(T,T^*)g(T,T^*)$, not $p(g(T,T^*))$.
Yes of course the operation is not composition of functions (polynomials) but composition of operators. Case closed.

Related to Proving Homomorphism in Commutative Subalgebras of Bounded Operators

What is a homomorphism task?

A homomorphism task is a scientific problem or experiment that involves studying the relationship between two or more objects or systems. The goal of a homomorphism task is to identify the similarities and differences between the objects or systems in order to gain a better understanding of their underlying properties and functions.

What is the purpose of a homomorphism task?

The purpose of a homomorphism task is to reveal the fundamental structure and behavior of objects or systems by looking at their similarities and differences. This can help scientists to identify patterns and make predictions about how the objects or systems will behave in different situations.

What are some common examples of homomorphism tasks?

Some common examples of homomorphism tasks include analyzing the relationship between DNA sequences, studying the similarities and differences between different species, and comparing the behavior of different chemical compounds. Other examples include identifying patterns in mathematical equations or analyzing the structure of networks.

What techniques are used in homomorphism tasks?

Homomorphism tasks often involve using a variety of scientific techniques and methods, such as data analysis, mathematical modeling, and computer simulations. These techniques allow scientists to identify patterns and relationships between objects or systems and make predictions about their behavior.

How can homomorphism tasks contribute to scientific research?

Homomorphism tasks can provide valuable insights and information that can contribute to scientific research in various fields. By identifying patterns and relationships between objects or systems, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of their properties and functions, which can lead to new discoveries and advancements in their respective fields.