Proving Definition of Continuous Function: Hi, Carla!

In summary, to prove that \displaystyle \begin{align*} f(x) = |x| \end{align*} is continuous at \displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 0 \end{align*}, we need to show that for any \displaystyle \begin{align*} \epsilon > 0 \end{align*}, there exists a \displaystyle \begin{align*} \delta > 0 \end{align*}, such that for all \displaystyle \begin{align*} x \in \mathbb{R} \end{align*}, \displaystyle \begin{align*} |x - 0 | < \delta \implies \
Carla1985
Hi, I have my exam tomorrow and have been doing the practice questions. However we don't get the answers to these questions so I am lost as to whether I am doing them right, also I am stuck at a few points, particularly with the definition questions.

\[

1.)Prove\ lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{2n+3}{n+1}=2 \\
I\ did:\ |a_n-a_m|=|(a_n-a)-(a_m-a)|\leq|a_n-a|+|a_m-a| \\
=|\frac{2n+3}{n+1}-2|+|\frac{2m+3}{m+1}-2|=|\frac{1}{n+1}|+|\frac{1}{m+1}|\leq\frac{1}{n}+\frac{1}{m}=\frac{m+n}{mn}\\
\text{not sure how to get that less than epsilon. usually i have m-n so can take out the m's.}\\
\ \\
\ \\
2.)Prove\ by\ definition\ f(x)=|x|\ is\ continuous\ at\ x_0=0\\
I\ have\ the\ definition\ as\ \forall\epsilon>0\ \exists\delta>0\ such\ that\ \forall y\in\mathbb{R}\ |x_0-y|<\delta\ implies\ |f(x_0)-f(y)|<\epsilon"\\
so\ I\ have:\ |0-y|=|-y|<\delta\ \rightarrow\ ||0|-|y||=|-y|<\epsilon\\
I\ know\ I'm\ supposed\ to\ relate\ delta\ and\ epsilon\ together\ somehow\ but\ cant\ for\ the\ life\ of\ me\ figure\ out\ why.\ The\ notes\ we\ have\ are\ very\ confusing\\

\]

Thank you for the help. I would be so lost without this forum :)
Carla x

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Carla1985 said:
Hi, I have my exam tomorrow and have been doing the practice questions. However we don't get the answers to these questions so I am lost as to whether I am doing them right, also I am stuck at a few points, particularly with the definition questions.

\[

=|\frac{2n+3}{n+1}-2|+|\frac{2m+3}{m+1}-2|=|\frac{1}{n+1}|+|\frac{1}{m+1}|\leq\frac{1}{n}+\frac{1}{m}=\frac{m+n}{mn}\\
\text{not sure how to get that less than epsilon. usually i have m-n so can take out the m's.}\\

Is...

$$\frac{2\ n + 3}{n+1} = \frac{2 + \frac{3}{n}}{1 + \frac{1}{n}}\ (1)$$

Now what does it happen if $n \rightarrow \infty$?... Kind regards$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
Carla1985 said:

\[

\ \\
\ \\
\text{I have the definition as }"\forall\epsilon>0\ \exists\delta>0\ such\ that\ \forall y\in\mathbb{R}\ |x_0-y|<\delta\ implies\ |f(x_0)-f(y)|<\epsilon"\\
\text{I know I'm supposed to relate delta and epsilon together somehow but can't for the life of me figure out why. The notes we have are very confusing}\\
\ \\
\ \\
3.) Prove\ using\ the\ sequence\ definition\ that\ f(x)=10x^2\ is\ continuous\ at\ x_0=0\\
I\ have:\ take\ any\ sequence\ x_n\ converging\ to\ 0.\ Then\ f(x_n)=10x_n^2\ converges\ to\ f(x_0)=10*0^2=0\ so\ it\ is\ continuous.\\
\text{is that sufficient?}

\]

Thank you for the help. I would be so lost without this forum :)
Carla x

To prove \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{2n+3}{n+1} = 2 \end{align*}\) you need to show \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} n > N \implies \left| \frac{2n+3}{n+1} - 2 \right| < \epsilon \end{align*}\), so by working on the second inequality we find

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| \frac{2n+3}{n+1} - 2 \right| &< \epsilon \\ \left| \frac{2n + 3 - 2\left( n + 1 \right) }{n + 1} \right| &< \epsilon \\ \left| \frac{2}{n + 1} \right| &< \epsilon \\ \frac{2}{| n + 1|} &< \epsilon \\ 2 &< \epsilon |n + 1| \\ \frac{2}{\epsilon} &< | n + 1| \\ \frac{2}{\epsilon} < | n + 1| &< | n | + |1| \textrm{ by the Triangle Inequality} \\ \frac{2}{\epsilon} &< |n| + 1 \\ \frac{2}{\epsilon} - 1 &< |n| \\ \frac{2}{\epsilon} - 1 &< n \textrm{ since } n \to \infty \implies n > 0 \end{align*}\)

So if you let \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} N = \frac{2}{\epsilon} - 1 \end{align*}\) and reverse the process, you will have your proof :)

- - - Updated - - -

Carla1985 said:
\text{I have the definition as }"\forall\epsilon>0\ \exists\delta>0\ such\ that\ \forall y\in\mathbb{R}\ |x_0-y|<\delta\ implies\ |f(x_0)-f(y)|<\epsilon"\\
\text{I know I'm supposed to relate delta and epsilon together somehow but can't for the life of me figure out why. The notes we have are very confusing

A function is continuous at a point if it is defined at that point and the limit of the function as you approach that point is equal to the function value. It's pretty obvious that the function is defined at \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 0 \end{align*}\) and that \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} f(0) = |0| = 0 \end{align*}\). So for \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} f(x) = |x| \end{align*}\) to be continuous at \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 0 \end{align*}\) you need to show \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} |x - 0| < \delta \implies \left| |x| - 0 \right| < \epsilon \end{align*}\). Working on the second equality we have

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| |x| - 0 \right| &< \epsilon \\ \left| | x | \right| &< \epsilon \\ |x| &< \epsilon \\ |x - 0 | &< \epsilon \end{align*}\)

So that means we can let \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \delta = \epsilon \end{align*}\) and reverse the process, this will complete the proof :)

Aaaaah, ofc. I was using the cauchy definition as opposed to the convergence one. Explains where I was stuck. Thank you so much for the help :)

Carla1985 said:
1) Prove \(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{2n+3}{n+1}=2\)

I did: \(\displaystyle |a_n-a_m|=|(a_n-a)-(a_m-a)|\leq|a_n-a|+|a_m-a| \\
=|\frac{2n+3}{n+1}-2|+|\frac{2m+3}{m+1}-2|=|\frac{1}{n+1}|+|\frac{1}{m+1}|\leq\frac{1}{n}+\frac{1}{m}=\frac{m+n}{mn}\)

not sure how to get that less than epsilon. usually i have m-n so can take out the m's.

Suppose m, n > N, then
$$\frac{1}{n}+\frac{1}{m} < \frac 1 N + \frac 1 N = \frac 2 N$$

So pick \(\displaystyle N = \frac 2 \varepsilon\).

Prove It said:
So if you let \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} N = \frac{2}{\epsilon} - 1 \end{align*}\) :)

This is wrong because only some values of ε will produce natural Nos N

For example,for :\(\displaystyle \epsilon=\frac{3}{5}\) we get : \(\displaystyle N=\frac{7}{3}\).

For :\(\displaystyle \epsilon=\frac{5}{7}\) we get :\(\displaystyle N = \frac{9}{5}\)

While for : \(\displaystyle \epsilon=3\) we get:\(\displaystyle N= -\frac{1}{3}\)

Only for ε=1 we get : N=1.

But we wnt to be able to find an N for all values of ε

I like Serena said:
Suppose m, n > N, then

So pick $$N = \frac 2 \varepsilon$$.

Again this is wrong not all values of ε will produce natural Nos N

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Suppose m, n > N, then

So pick \(\displaystyle N = \frac 2 \varepsilon\).

solakis said:
Again this is wrong not all values of ε will produce natural Nos N
Defining \(\displaystyle N = \frac 2 \varepsilon\) is a little sloppy but harmless. It is clear than one may take any natural number $\ge2/\varepsilon$, e.g., $N=\lceil 2/\varepsilon\rceil$. Then $N\ge2/\varepsilon$, so $1/n+1/m<2/N\le\varepsilon$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Defining \(\displaystyle N = \frac 2 \varepsilon\) is a little sloppy but harmless. It is clear than one may take any natural number $\ge2/\varepsilon$, e.g., $N=\lceil 2/\varepsilon\rceil$. Then $N\ge2/\varepsilon$, so $1/n+1/m<2/N\le\varepsilon$.

Not sloppy at all and very harmfulll if one does not know on what bases one should be able, given any real No, to choose a natural No N.

Besides that, he does not prove that lima_n=2 ,but he tries to prove unsuccessfully that :

if lim a_n=2 then the sequence is a Cauchy sequence

Last edited:
Prove It said:
To prove \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{2n+3}{n+1} = 2 \end{align*}\) you need to show \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} n > N \implies \left| \frac{2n+3}{n+1} - 2 \right| < \epsilon \end{align*}\), so by working on the second inequality we find

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| \frac{2n+3}{n+1} - 2 \right| &< \epsilon \\ \left| \frac{2n + 3 - 2\left( n + 1 \right) }{n + 1} \right| &< \epsilon \\ \left| \frac{2}{n + 1} \right| &< \epsilon \\ \frac{2}{| n + 1|} &< \epsilon \\ 2 &< \epsilon |n + 1| \\ \frac{2}{\epsilon} &< | n + 1| \\ \frac{2}{\epsilon} < | n + 1| &< | n | + |1| \textrm{ by the Triangle Inequality} \\ \frac{2}{\epsilon} &< |n| + 1 \\ \frac{2}{\epsilon} - 1 &< |n| \\ \frac{2}{\epsilon} - 1 &< n \textrm{ since } n \to \infty \implies n > 0 \end{align*}\)

So if you let \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} N = \frac{2}{\epsilon} - 1 \end{align*}\) and reverse the process, you will have your proof :)

- - - Updated - - -
A function is continuous at a point if it is defined at that point and the limit of the function as you approach that point is equal to the function value. It's pretty obvious that the function is defined at \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 0 \end{align*}\) and that \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} f(0) = |0| = 0 \end{align*}\). So for \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} f(x) = |x| \end{align*}\) to be continuous at \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 0 \end{align*}\) you need to show \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} |x - 0| < \delta \implies \left| |x| - 0 \right| < \epsilon \end{align*}\). Working on the second equality we have

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| |x| - 0 \right| &< \epsilon \\ \left| | x | \right| &< \epsilon \\ |x| &< \epsilon \\ |x - 0 | &< \epsilon \end{align*}\)

So that means we can let \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \delta = \epsilon \end{align*}\) and reverse the process, this will complete the proof :)

The right approach is the following:

We have shown that:

\(\displaystyle |a_{n}-2|<\frac{2}{n+1}\).

But \(\displaystyle \frac{2}{n+1}<\frac{2}{n}\)

So if we want to choose an N such that for every n>N \(\displaystyle |a_{n}-2|\) is less than epsilon

We simply choose \(\displaystyle N>\frac{2}{\epsilon}\) and

Hence for every n>N WE HAVE:

\(\displaystyle n>\frac{2}{\epsilon}\) and thus:

\(\displaystyle |a_{n}-2|<\epsilon\)

There is nothing wrong with what I posted, if you have the sequence \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{2n+3}{n+1} \end{align*}\), then it will have the same limit as the function \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} f(x) = \frac{2x+3}{x + 1} \end{align*}\). So proving the limit for the continuous function will prove the limit for the sequence also.

Related to Proving Definition of Continuous Function: Hi, Carla!

What is the definition of a continuous function?

A continuous function is a mathematical function where small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. In other words, as the input values get closer together, the output values also get closer together.

How do you prove that a function is continuous?

To prove that a function is continuous, you need to show that it satisfies the three conditions of continuity: the function is defined at a point, the limit of the function at that point exists, and the limit is equal to the function value at that point.

What is the importance of proving a function is continuous?

Proving a function is continuous is important because it ensures that the function is well-behaved and has a predictable behavior. This is especially important in applications where small changes in the input can have significant effects on the output.

What are some common techniques for proving a function is continuous?

Some common techniques for proving a function is continuous include using the epsilon-delta definition of continuity, the intermediate value theorem, and the limit laws for continuous functions.

Can a function be continuous at some points and not at others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at some points and not at others. This is known as a piecewise continuous function and it has different definitions and properties at different intervals.