Proving Convergence of Direct Comparison Test for \sum \frac{3}{n^{2} + 1}

In summary: For example, if c is not a constant and a_n -> 0 as n → ∞, then ##\sum_n c a_n = c \sum_n a_n## but ##\sum_n c a_n = -c \sum_n a_n##.Therefore, the integral test would be inconclusive.
Platformance

Homework Statement

Show that:

[itex]\sum \frac{3}{n^{2} + 1}[/itex]

converges from n = 1 to ∞

Homework Equations

If Ʃbn converges, and Ʃan < Ʃbn.

Ʃan also converges.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\sum \frac{1}{n^{2}}[/itex] converges

[itex]\sum \frac{3}{n^{2} + 1}[/itex] = 3 * [itex]\sum \frac{1}{n^{2} + 1}[/itex]

[itex]\sum \frac{1}{n^{2} + 1}[/itex] < [itex]\sum \frac{1}{n^{2}}[/itex] for all n from 1 to ∞.

Therefore [itex]\sum \frac{1}{n^{2} + 1}[/itex] converges.

Therefore [itex]\sum \frac{3}{n^{2} + 1}[/itex] also converges.

The problem I am having is if the 3 remained in the summation.

[itex]\sum \frac{3}{n^{2} + 1}[/itex] is not less than [itex]\sum \frac{1}{n^{2}}[/itex] for all n from 1 to ∞.

Why does placing the 3 outside the summation make the problem work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Platformance said:

Homework Statement

Show that:

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{3}{n^{2} + 1}\ [/itex] converges .

The problem I am having is if the 3 remained in the summation.

[itex]\sum \frac{3}{n^{2} + 1}[/itex] is not less than [itex]\sum \frac{1}{n^{2}}[/itex] for all n from 1 to ∞.

Why does placing the 3 outside the summation make the problem work?
If you leave the 3 inside the sum, you will have to find a different converging series to compare it to. The method will still work.

So that means I would need to compare the series to [itex]\frac{3}{n^{2}}[/itex] instead.

I can prove [itex]\frac{3}{n^{2}}[/itex] through the integral test. Though speaking of the integral test, it doesn't seem like the test works for the original series since I am getting tan-1(∞). So would the integral test be inconclusive in this case?

Platformance said:
So that means I would need to compare the series to [itex]\frac{3}{n^{2}}[/itex] instead.

I can prove [itex]\frac{3}{n^{2}}[/itex] through the integral test. Though speaking of the integral test, it doesn't seem like the test works for the original series since I am getting tan-1(∞). So would the integral test be inconclusive in this case?

arctan(∞), which is what I assume is what you mean by tan^(-1)(∞), is finite.

Platformance said:

You are making it WAAAAAY too complicated: it is a simple fact---easily proved---that if c is a constant, then ##\sum_n c a_n = c \sum_n a_n##, in the sense that if one side converges, so does the other (and the two sides are equal), and if one side diverges so does the other.

Platformance said:
No. You would not necessarily have to compare to [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{3}{n^{2}}\ .[/itex]

There are many other possibilities.

Related to Proving Convergence of Direct Comparison Test for \sum \frac{3}{n^{2} + 1}

1. What is the Direct Comparison Test?

The Direct Comparison Test is a method used in mathematics to determine the convergence of infinite series. It involves comparing the given series with a known series whose convergence or divergence is already known.

2. How is the Direct Comparison Test used?

To use the Direct Comparison Test, you must first identify a known series that is either always greater than or always less than the given series. Then, if the known series converges, the given series must also converge. If the known series diverges, the given series must also diverge.

3. Can any series be tested using the Direct Comparison Test?

No, the Direct Comparison Test can only be used on series that have non-negative terms. It also cannot be used on alternating series or series with terms that do not approach zero.

4. What is the difference between the Direct Comparison Test and the Limit Comparison Test?

The Direct Comparison Test compares the given series to a known series, while the Limit Comparison Test compares the ratio of the terms in the given series to the terms in a known series. The Limit Comparison Test is often used when the Direct Comparison Test cannot be applied.

5. Are there any limitations to the Direct Comparison Test?

One limitation of the Direct Comparison Test is that it can only determine convergence or divergence, it cannot determine the exact value of the sum of a series. Also, if the known series and the given series both have terms that approach zero, the test may not be conclusive.