Proving Continuity of $$ \int_{-\pi}^{\pi}te^{xt}\cos(yt)g(t)dt$$

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, the given expressions for the integrals and the defined Fourier transform suggest that the integrands are continuous, but this needs to be proven explicitly. The definition of the Fourier transform also implies that if the integrands are continuous, then the transform is everywhere differentiable and therefore continuous. However, it is necessary to show that the integrands are continuous before concluding that the integrals are continuous.
Dustinsfl
How can I prove the below is continuous?

$$
\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}te^{xt}\cos(yt)g(t)dt \quad\text{and}\quad
-\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}te^{xt}\sin(yt)g(t)dt
$$

define the Fourier transform of g as
$$
G(z) = \int_{-\pi}^{\pi}e^{zt}g(t)dt
$$

We know t, e^{xt}, sine, and cosine are continuous which means their products are continuous but we don't know about g(t).

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
How can I prove the below is continuous?

$$
\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}te^{xt}\cos(yt)g(t)dt \quad\text{and}\quad
-\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}te^{xt}\sin(yt)g(t)dt
$$

define the Fourier transform of g as
$$
G(z) = \int_{-\pi}^{\pi}e^{zt}g(t)dt
$$

We know t, e^{xt}, sine, and cosine are continuous which means their products are continuous but we don't know about g(t).

The definition of F.T. of g(*) You have given...

$\displaystyle \mathcal{F} \{g(t)\}= G(z)=\int_{- \pi}^{\pi} g(t)\ e^{z t}\ dt$ (1)

... implies that...

$\displaystyle G^{'}(z)= \int_{- \pi}^{\pi} t\ g(t)\ e^{z t}\ dt= \mathcal{F}\{t\ g(t)\}$ (2)

Now if $\displaystyle g(t)\ e^{z t}$ is integrable in $(-\pi\ ,\ \pi)$ the same is for $\displaystyle t\ g(t)\ e^{z t}$ so that G(z) is everywhere derivable and that means that G(z) is everywhere continuous...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
The definition of F.T. of g(*) You have given...

$\displaystyle \mathcal{F} \{g(t)\}= G(z)=\int_{- \pi}^{\pi} g(t)\ e^{z t}\ dt$ (1)

... implies that...

$\displaystyle G^{'}(z)= \int_{- \pi}^{\pi} t\ g(t)\ e^{z t}\ dt= \mathcal{F}\{t\ g(t)\}$ (2)

Now if $\displaystyle g(t)\ e^{z t}$ is integrable in $(-\pi\ ,\ \pi)$ the same is for $\displaystyle t\ g(t)\ e^{z t}$ so that G(z) is everywhere derivable and that means that G(z) is everywhere continuous...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Can the derivative be slipped past the integral because of uniform continuous?

dwsmith said:
Can the derivative be slipped past the integral because of uniform continuous?

The derivative of the function...

$\displaystyle g(z)= \int_{a}^{b} f(x,z)\ dx$ (1)

... exists if $f_{z} (x,z)$ exists and is continuous...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:

Don't we need the G' to be continuous because than the partials would be continuous?

dwsmith said:
Don't we need the G' to be continuous because than the partials would be continuous?

We are interested only to the existence of G'(z), because if G'(z) exists then G(z) is continuous...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
We are interested only to the existence of G'(z), because if G'(z) exists then G(z) is continuous...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I think you misunderstood the question. I want to show the first to integrals are continuous. I gave the Fourier Transform information because g(t) is defined by it.

dwsmith said:
I think you misunderstood the question. I want to show the first to integrals are continuous. I gave the Fourier Transform information because g(t) is defined by it.

I'm sure to have misunderstood because continuous can be [if it is...] a function and not a definite integral...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
I'm sure to have misunderstood because continuous can be [if it is...] a function and not a definite integral...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

If the definite integrals are partial derivatives, then they can be continuous (or not) as well.

Related to Proving Continuity of $$ \int_{-\pi}^{\pi}te^{xt}\cos(yt)g(t)dt$$

1. What is the definition of continuity for an integral?

The continuity of an integral refers to the ability to change the order of integration and the limit of integration without affecting the value of the integral. In other words, as the limits of integration approach a certain value, the value of the integral remains unchanged.

2. How do you prove the continuity of an integral?

To prove the continuity of an integral, you must show that the function being integrated is continuous and that the limits of integration are also continuous. This can be done by using the definition of continuity and applying it to both the function and the limits of integration.

3. What is the importance of proving continuity of an integral?

Proving the continuity of an integral is important because it ensures that the value of the integral is not affected by changes in the limits of integration. This allows for easier manipulation and evaluation of integrals in mathematical calculations and applications.

4. Can the continuity of an integral be proven for all functions?

No, the continuity of an integral can only be proven for certain types of functions. Specifically, the function must be integrable and the limits of integration must also be continuous. If either of these conditions are not met, the continuity of the integral cannot be proven.

5. Are there any special techniques for proving continuity of an integral?

Yes, there are certain techniques that can be used to prove the continuity of an integral for specific types of functions. These include using properties of continuous functions, applying the mean value theorem, and using the fundamental theorem of calculus. It is important to use the appropriate technique based on the specific function being integrated.