Proving B(r,x) is a Subset of S^c: Basic Topology Question

• Thread starter trap101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary: Thanks again.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which the goal is to prove that if |X| > \rho and r = |X| - \rho, then B(r,x) is a subset of the complement of set S. The participants struggle to find the correct inequality to prove that |y| > \rho, but eventually use the triangle inequality and the fact that r + \rho = |X| to show that |y| > \rho. A derivation of the triangle inequality is also mentioned as a helpful tool in this proof.
trap101
Assume ##|X| > \rho## , let ##r = |X| - \rho##

Now I am trying to show that ##B(r,x)\subseteq S^c##

This should be a simple question, but I am struggling trying to find the right inequlity.

Attempt:

let ##y## be a point in ##B(r,x)##.

I know that ##|x - y| < r##.

I have to somehow show that ##|y| > \rho##

this is where my argument falls apart:

##|y| \leq |y-x| + |x|< r + \rho## (by triangle inequality)

but this doesn't show that ##|y| > \rho##

what am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's awfully hard to figure out what you are trying to say here.

trap101 said:
Assume |X| > [itex]\rho[/itex] , let r = |X| - [itex]\rho[/itex]
Is "X" a number and |X| its absolute value (as opposed to a vector and its length)? If a vector or point, in R2, R3, or Rn?

Now I am trying to show that B(r, x) [itex]\subset[/itex] Sc
Okay, Is "x" the same as "X", above? I presume that B(r, x) is the ball of radius r centered on x (in some metric space) but what is Sc? I would guess "the compliment of set S" but what is S?

This should be a simple question, but I am struggling trying to find the right inequlity.

Attempt:

let y be a point in B(r,x).

I know that |x - y| < r.

I have to somehow show that |y| > [itex]\rho[/itex]

this is where my argument falls apart:

|y| <= |y-x| + |x| (by triangle inequality) < r + [itex]\rho[/itex]

but this doesn't show that |y| > [itex]\rho[/itex]

what am I missing?

HallsofIvy said:
It's awfully hard to figure out what you are trying to say here.

Is "X" a number and |X| its absolute value (as opposed to a vector and its length)? If a vector or point, in R2, R3, or Rn?

Okay, Is "x" the same as "X", above? I presume that B(r, x) is the ball of radius r centered on x (in some metric space) but what is Sc? I would guess "the compliment of set S" but what is S?

I apologize my writing of the question is very messy. You are right on both counts. X is a vector in Rn, Sc is the complement of S, and S is a subset of Rn. Sorry for making it messy.

Then your question makes no sense. You are given that [itex]|x|> \rho[/itex], and you want to prove that [itex]B(r, x)\subset S^c[/itex], the complement of set S? But what is "S". You don't mention it in the hypotheses.

HallsofIvy said:
Then your question makes no sense. You are given that [itex]|x|> \rho[/itex], and you want to prove that [itex]B(r, x)\subset S^c[/itex], the complement of set S? But what is "S". You don't mention it in the hypotheses.

Sorry. S is B([itex]\rho[/itex], 0) , that is the ball of radius [itex]\rho[/itex] about the origin.

OK, you want to show that if ##0<\rho<\|x\|## and ##r=\|x\|-\rho##, then ##B(x,r)\subseteq B(0,\rho)^c##. Let ##y\in B(x,r)## be arbitrary. You want to show that ##\|y\|>\rho##. I suggest this as the first step:
$$\|y\|\geq\|x\|-\|y-x\|.$$

Fredrik said:
OK, you want to show that if ##0<\rho<\|x\|## and ##r=\|x\|-\rho##, then ##B(x,r)\subseteq B(0,\rho)^c##. Let ##y\in B(x,r)## be arbitrary. You want to show that ##\|y\|>\rho##. I suggest this as the first step:
$$\|y\|\geq\|x\|-\|y-x\|.$$

Ok using: $$\|y\|\geq\|x\|-\|y-x\|.$$

I was trying this before but didn't feel it would be valid. Now since ##r=\|x\|-\rho##, I can then say

## r + \rho = \|x\|##

now can I say that:

##\|y\|\geq\|x\|-\|y-x\|\geq r + \rho = \|x\| - r##

which wold reduce to ##\|y\|\geq\rho ##

trap101 said:
Ok using: $$\|y\|\geq\|x\|-\|y-x\|.$$

I was trying this before but didn't feel it would be valid.
Are you familiar with the triangle inequality in the form ##\|x+y\|\geq \|x\|-\|y\|##? (This can be derived from the usual version). Write ##\|y\|=\|(y-x)+x\|## and then use this.

trap101 said:
## r + \rho = \|x\|##

now can I say that:

##\|y\|\geq\|x\|-\|y-x\|\geq r + \rho = \|x\| - r##
This should be ##\|y\|\geq\|x\|-\|y-x\| > r+\rho-r##. (Because ##\|x\|=r+\rho## and ##\|y-x\|<r##).

Fredrik said:
This should be ##\|y\|\geq\|x\|-\|y-x\| > r+\rho-r##. (Because ##\|x\|=r+\rho## and ##\|y-x\|<r##).

Yea I just copied the code wrong for that, but no i was not aware of the triangle inequality in that form. I'm gping to go derive it now. Thanks. If I have an issue I will ask for assistence

Related to Proving B(r,x) is a Subset of S^c: Basic Topology Question

What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric figures and spaces that are preserved through continuous deformations, such as stretching, twisting, and bending, but not tearing or gluing. It is a fundamental tool in many areas of mathematics, including algebraic geometry, differential geometry, and analysis.

What is a topology space?

A topology space is a set equipped with a collection of subsets called open sets, which satisfy certain axioms. These axioms govern the behavior of open sets and allow for the study of continuity, convergence, and other important concepts in topology.

What is the difference between open and closed sets?

In topology, an open set is a subset of a topology space that satisfies certain axioms, while a closed set is the complement of an open set. Intuitively, an open set can be "expanded" or "stretched" without leaving the set, while a closed set is "complete" and contains all of its limit points.

What is a topological property?

A topological property is a property that is preserved under continuous deformations. This means that if two spaces have the same topological property, then they can be continuously deformed into each other without changing the property. Examples of topological properties include connectedness, compactness, and Hausdorffness.

What is the importance of topology in science?

Topology plays a crucial role in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. It provides a powerful framework for understanding and analyzing the structure of complex systems, such as networks, surfaces, and manifolds. Additionally, topological methods have been used to solve problems in fields such as data analysis, machine learning, and computer science.