Proving an inequality using maximum modulus

In summary, the problem is asking to show that |f(z)| is less than or equal to M times the absolute value of the fraction (z-a)/(1-a'z) when |z|<1. This can be proved by rewriting the inequality as |f(z)|/M ≤ |\frac{z-a}{1-a'z}| and then using the maximum modulus principle. By multiplying with the complex conjugate of the denominator and using the fact that |z|<1, the fraction can be simplified to |e^{i\theta}|, which is less than or equal to 1. This proves that |f(z)| is less than or equal to M times the absolute value of the fraction, as desired.
stgermaine

Homework Statement

Let f be an analytic function on the disc |z|<1 and satisfies |f(z)|≤M if |z|<1.
Show that [itex] |f(z)| \le M \left| \frac{z-a}{1-a'z} \right| [/itex] when |z|<1

where a' is the complex conjugate of a

Homework Equations

This section uses maximum modulus principle, but I really don't understand it.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since |z|<1 and consequently |f(z)|≤1, I rewrite the inequality to be proved as
|f(z)|/M ≤ |[itex]\frac{z-a}{1-a'z}[/itex]|
If M=0, the inequality holds, since it is a trivial case of 0 =< 0. If not, we can use the fraction above. Since [itex]|f(z)| \le M, \; \frac{|f(z)|}{M} \le 1[/itex]

Then, I write z as e^iθ. Technically I should write e^(iθ) but for the sake of convenience, e^iθ means just that, not e^i * θ.

Now, [itex] \frac{e^{i\theta} - a}{1-a'e^{i\theta}} = e^{i\theta} \frac{1-ae^{-i\theta}}{1-a'e^{i\theta}} [/itex]

Note that the numerator is the complex conjugate of the denominator. Then, we can reduce |f(z)| as [itex]|e^{i\theta}|[/itex]

Here's where it gets confusing. [itex]|e^{i\theta}|[/itex] was stipulated to be less than 1 in the problem, but I wish to show that it is greater than equal to one.

What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, here is how I did it:

1) Multiply with the complex conjugate of the denominator;
2) Use the fact that |z|<1 to get of an 'a';
3) Use |z|<1 again to get rid of the fraction.

Related to Proving an inequality using maximum modulus

What is the concept of maximum modulus?

The maximum modulus of a function is the maximum value of the absolute value of the function over a given domain. In other words, it is the largest distance between the function and the origin.

How is maximum modulus used to prove an inequality?

In mathematics, the maximum modulus principle states that the maximum value of a complex-valued function within a given domain occurs at the boundary of the domain. This principle can be used to prove inequalities by showing that the maximum modulus of one function is greater than the maximum modulus of another function over a given domain.

What are the steps involved in proving an inequality using maximum modulus?

The first step is to define the domain of the functions involved and determine the boundary of the domain. Then, calculate the maximum modulus of each function over the domain. Finally, compare the maximum moduli to prove the desired inequality.

What are some common techniques used to simplify the calculation of maximum modulus?

One common technique is to use the Cauchy-Riemann equations to rewrite the complex-valued function in terms of its real and imaginary parts. Another technique is to use the triangle inequality to bound the absolute value of a complex number.

Are there any limitations to using maximum modulus to prove inequalities?

Yes, using maximum modulus to prove inequalities may not always be possible or may be difficult in certain cases. For example, if the boundary of the domain is not well-defined or if the functions involved are not analytic, the maximum modulus principle may not hold and therefore cannot be used to prove inequalities.