Prove this inequality for all triangles

In summary, using the half angle formula, it is possible to show that the angles a, b, and c of each triangle satisfy the inequality \tan \frac{a}{2}\tan \frac{b}{2} \tan \frac{c}{2} (\tan \frac{a}{2} + \tan \frac{b}{2} + \tan \frac{c}{2}) < \frac{1}{2}. By substituting the value of c/2 as (pi/2)-(a+b), and using the relation a + b + c = π, it is possible to prove that (cot A)(cot B)(cot C) = cot A + cot B + cot C. Further
sharpycasio

Homework Statement

Show that the angles a, b, c of each triangle satisfy this inequality.

[itex]\tan \frac{a}{2}\tan \frac{b}{2} \tan \frac{c}{2} (\tan \frac{a}{2} + \tan \frac{b}{2} + \tan \frac{c}{2}) < \frac{1}{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the half angle formula: [itex] \tan \frac{\theta}{2} = \frac{1- \cos x}{\sin x} [/itex]

That gives

[tex]\frac{(1- \cos a)(1- \cos b)(1- \cos c)}{(\sin a)(\sin b)(\sin c)} [\frac{1- \cos a}{\sin a} + \frac{1- \cos b}{\sin b} + \frac{1- \cos c}{\sin c}] < \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

I don't know where to go from this. Can someone give me any hints please? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
sharpycasio said:

Homework Statement

Show that the angles a, b, c of each triangle satisfy this inequality.

[itex]\tan \frac{a}{2}\tan \frac{b}{2} \tan \frac{c}{2} (\tan \frac{a}{2} + \tan \frac{b}{2} + \tan \frac{c}{2}) < \frac{1}{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the half angle formula: [itex] \tan \frac{\theta}{2} = \frac{1- \cos x}{\sin x} [/itex]

That gives

[tex]\frac{(1- \cos a)(1- \cos b)(1- \cos c)}{(\sin a)(\sin b)(\sin c)} [\frac{1- \cos a}{\sin a} + \frac{1- \cos b}{\sin b} + \frac{1- \cos c}{\sin c}] < \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

I don't know where to go from this. Can someone give me any hints please? Thanks.
One hint is that a + b + c = π .

Thanks SammyS.

Since a + b + c = π we can prove that (cot A)(cot B)(cot C) = cot A + cot B + cot C
With that I did the following.

Rearrange given equation:
2[tan(a/2) + tan(b/2) + tan(c/2)] < [tan(a/2) * tan(b/2) * tan(c/2)]^-1

2[tan(a/2) + tan(b/2) + tan(c/2)] < cot(a/2) * cot(b/2) * cot (c/2)

Substitute RHS

2[tan(a/2) + tan(b/2) + tan(c/2)] < cot(a/2) + cot(b/2) + cot (c/2)

From here on, everything I try leads to no where. I tried expressing c/2 as (pi/2)-(a+b) but that makes the problem even more complicated. I honestly give up. Can someone please help me? I suck at this and I need to solve this problem for tomorrow. I'm desperate. Thanks.

Can someone please please help me? I only have about two more hours to solve this stupid question.

No help at all? :(

I'm sorry, but I don't have the solution either.

My thought with a + b + c = π was simply that then

[itex]\displaystyle c=\pi-(a+b)\ \ \text{ so that }\ \ \frac{c}{2}=\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{a+b}{2}\,,[/itex]

thus [itex]\displaystyle \tan\left(\frac{c}{2}\right)=\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{a+b}{2}\right)=\cot\left(\frac{a+b}{2}\right)\ .[/itex]

I haven't figured out if that leads anywhere.How did you conclude the following:
Since a + b + c = π we can prove that (cot A)(cot B)(cot C) = cot A + cot B + cot C​
?

SammyS said:
I'm sorry, but I don't have the solution either.

My thought with a + b + c = π was simply that then

[itex]\displaystyle c=\pi-(a+b)\ \ \text{ so that }\ \ \frac{c}{2}=\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{a+b}{2}\,,[/itex]

thus [itex]\displaystyle \tan\left(\frac{c}{2}\right)=\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{a+b}{2}\right)=\cot\left(\frac{a+b}{2}\right)\ .[/itex]

I haven't figured out if that leads anywhere.

How did you conclude the following:
Since a + b + c = π we can prove that (cot A)(cot B)(cot C) = cot A + cot B + cot C​
?

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080111225452AADKNLv

I was told that

tan(a/2)tan(b/2)+tan(a/2)tan(c/2)+tan(b/2)tan(c/2) =1 is useful.

You can prove that by taking the tan of both sides of the following

(a+b)/2 = 90 -c

Thanks for trying.

sharpycasio said:
http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080111225452AADKNLv

I was told that

tan(a/2)tan(b/2)+tan(a/2)tan(c/2)+tan(b/2)tan(c/2) =1 is useful.

You can prove that by taking the tan of both sides of the following

(a+b)/2 = 90 -c

Thanks for trying.
I looked that over & I'm quite sure there is a sign error in that derivation.

I know it is too late, but I think I found the solution just now.

As SammyS pointed out,
[tex]\tan(\frac{c}{2})=\cot(\frac{a+b}{2})[/tex]

Expanding: [tex]\cot(\frac{a+b}{2})=\frac{1-\tan(\frac{a}{2})\tan(\frac{b}{2})}{\tan(\frac{a}{2})+\tan(\frac{b}{2})}[/tex]

With the notations x=tan(a/2) and y=tan(b/2), (x≥0, y≥0) the original expression becomes

[tex]A=xy \frac{1-xy}{x+y} \left( x+y+\frac{1-xy}{x+y} \right)=xy\left(1-xy+\frac{(1-xy)^2}{(x+y)^2}\right)[/tex]

From the relation between the arithmetic and geometric means (x+y)2≥4xy, so
[tex]\frac{(1-xy)^2}{(x+y)^2} ≤ \frac{(1-xy)^2}{4xy}[/tex]

[tex]A≤xy\left(1-xy+\frac{(1-xy)^2}{4xy}\right)[/tex]

denoting xy by z (z≥0):

[tex]A≤z\left(1-z+\frac{(1-z)^2}{4z}\right)=\frac{1}{4}(-3z^2+2z+1)[/tex], which is an upside-down parabola.

Check, please.

ehild

Related to Prove this inequality for all triangles

1. How can I prove an inequality for all triangles?

There are several ways to prove an inequality for all triangles. One method is to use the Triangle Inequality Theorem, which states that the sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the length of the third side. Another approach is to use mathematical induction, where you would prove the inequality for the simplest triangle (such as an equilateral triangle) and then show that it holds for all other triangles by using a series of logical steps.

2. Can I use geometric constructions to prove an inequality for all triangles?

Yes, geometric constructions can be used to prove inequalities for all triangles. For example, you could construct a triangle with the given side lengths and show that the inequality holds by using properties of similar triangles or by finding the area of the triangle using Heron's formula.

3. Are there any specific inequalities that are commonly proved for all triangles?

Yes, there are several commonly proved inequalities for all triangles, such as the Triangle Inequality Theorem, the Law of Cosines, and the Law of Sines. These inequalities are important in geometry and trigonometry, and they help to establish relationships between the sides and angles of a triangle.

4. What are some real-world applications of proving inequalities for triangles?

Proving inequalities for triangles has many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. These inequalities help to determine the stability and strength of structures, as well as the accuracy of measurements and calculations involving triangles.

5. Can I use algebraic methods to prove an inequality for all triangles?

Yes, algebraic methods can also be used to prove an inequality for all triangles. You could use algebraic manipulation and properties of triangles (such as the Pythagorean Theorem) to show that the inequality holds for all possible triangle configurations.