Prove that ∃ a∈]0,2[ such that f(a)=a^2

• Thread starter lep11
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the existence of a value a in the interval ]0,2[ such that f(a)=a2, for a continuous function f:[0,2] --> ]0,4[. The intermediate value theorem is used to show that there exists a zero of the function g(x)= f(x)- x^2 by proving that g(0)>0>g(2). This ultimately leads to the conclusion that there exists a value a in the given interval such that f(a)=a2.
lep11

Homework Statement

Let f:[0,2] --> ]0,4[ be continuous function. Prove that ∃ a∈]0,2[ such that f(a)=a2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sadly I have no idea whatsoever.
if e.g. a=1 and f(x)=x, then f(1)=12

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the function g(x)= f(x)- x^2. g(0)= f(0) and g(2)= f(2)- 4. Since the largest possible value for f is 4, what can you say about g(2)?

Apply the intermediate value theorem to a suitably chosen function ##g: [0,2] \to [0,4]##.

I still don't get it :(

Is there something specific that you don't get? Did you make a start?

Could you perhaps give a precise formulate of the intermediate value theorem, as you understand it? (I suppose this question comes from a calculus course, where this theorem should appear.)

You were told to look at the function [itex]g(x)= f(x)- x^2[/itex]. Now you have been told to use the "intermediate value theorem". Do you know what that is?

I don't know how to get started and how to apply the intermediate value theorem.

Intermediate value theorem: If function f is continuous in [a,b] and f(a)<u<f(b), then there exists c ∈]a,b[ such that f(c)=u.

f(0)< a2 <f(2) --> a∈]0,2[ such that f(a)=a2

Last edited:
And what have I already told you, last Sunday, about g(0) and g(4)?

Careful, the function ##f## in your statement of the IVT is not the same as the function ##f## from your exercise. Replace ##f## in the IVT by ##g## as proposed earlier. Also, the IVT is true as well when we replace "##f(a) < u < f(b)##" by "##f(a) > u > f(b)##".

Last edited:
You want to find a zero of the function ##g(x) = f(x) - x^2 ##.
If you prove there is ##x_0## and ##x_1## in ##[0,2]## such that ##g(x_0) < 0 ## and ##g(x_1) > 0 ##, then the intermediate value theorem guarantees the existence of a zero for ##g##.

You have ## 0 < f < 4 ##. Then what about ##g(0)## and ##g(2)## ?

Last edited:
Likes lep11
geoffrey159 said:
You want to find a zero of the function ##g(x) = f(x) - x^2 ##.
If you prove there is ##x_0## and ##x_1## in ##[0,2]## such that ##g(x_0) < 0 ## and ##g(x_1) > 0 ##, then the intermediate value theorem guarantees the existence of a zero for ##g##.

You have ## 0 < f < 4 ##. Then what about ##g(0)## and ##g(2)## ?
g(0)>0 and g(2)<0
g(0)>0>g(2) so IVT: ∃x0∈]0,2[ such that g(x0)=0 ⇔ f(x0)=x02
Now I got it, I appreciate your help! thanks everyone!

lep11 said:
g(0)>0 and g(2)<0
g(0)>0>g(2) and g continuous on [0,2] so IVT: ∃x0∈]0,2[ such that g(x0)=0 ⇔ f(x0)=x02
Now I got it, I appreciate your help! thanks everyone!

Likes lep11

Related to Prove that ∃ a∈]0,2[ such that f(a)=a^2

1. What does the notation ∃ a∈]0,2[ mean?

The notation ∃ a∈]0,2[ is read as "there exists a number a, such that a is an element of the interval between 0 and 2". In other words, we are looking for a value of a that falls between 0 and 2.

2. What does it mean for f(a) to equal a^2?

This means that the function f, when evaluated at the value a, will result in the same value as a squared. In other words, the input value a and the output value a^2 are equal.

3. Why is it important to prove the existence of a value a that satisfies this equation?

Proving the existence of a value a that satisfies this equation is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function f. It also allows us to make conclusions about the properties of the function and its solutions.

4. How do you go about proving the existence of a value a that satisfies this equation?

To prove the existence of a value a, we can use the Intermediate Value Theorem. This theorem states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, and the function takes on two different values at the endpoints of the interval, then there must exist a value within that interval where the function takes on a specific value. In this case, we are looking for a value a where f(a) = a^2.

5. Can this equation have more than one solution?

Yes, it is possible for this equation to have more than one solution. However, the Intermediate Value Theorem guarantees the existence of at least one solution within the given interval. If there are multiple solutions, they can be found by evaluating f(a) at different values of a within the interval and seeing which ones satisfy the equation.