Prove that (1+tanx)^2-2tanx=1/(1-sinx)(1+sinx)

• Thread starter wishiknewit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    identities
In summary, the problem asks to prove that (1+tanx)^2-2tanx=1/(1-sinx)(1+sinx). The attempt at a solution involves manipulating the equation and using the identities 1+tanx^2=secx^2 and 1-sinx^2=cosx^2. The main question is whether secx^2=1/cosx^2.
wishiknewit

Homework Statement

prove that: (1+tanx)^2-2tanx=1/(1-sinx)(1+sinx)

Homework Equations

Main question is does 1/cosx^2 = secx^2? More in my attempt at the solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

(1+tanx)^2-2tanx=1/(1-sinx)(1+sinx)

(1+tanx)(1+tanx)= 1+2tanx+tanx^2
1+2tanx+tanx^2-2tanx=1+tanx^2
1+tanx^2=secx^2

Now to the right side.

1/(1-sinx)(1+sinx)= 1/1-sinx^2 Now i will solve for the denominator.
1-sinx^2=cosx^2 the equation is now:

1/cosx^2. I know that secx=1/cosx my main question is does secx^2=1/cosx^2? This would give me my correct answer but I somehow feel that if you square secx it does not = 1/cosx.

Physics news on Phys.org
If
[tex]\frac{1}{\cos x}= \sec x[/tex]
then certainly
[tex]\frac{1}{\cos^2 x}= \sec^2 x[/tex]

Related to Prove that (1+tanx)^2-2tanx=1/(1-sinx)(1+sinx)

1. What is the purpose of proving this equation?

The purpose of proving this equation is to show that it is true and to provide a mathematical explanation for why it is true. This can help us better understand the relationship between the trigonometric functions involved and their properties.

2. What is the significance of the equation (1+tanx)^2-2tanx=1/(1-sinx)(1+sinx)?

This equation is significant because it shows a relationship between the trigonometric functions of tangent and sine. It also demonstrates how manipulating and simplifying expressions can lead to an equivalent equation.

3. How do you prove this equation?

To prove this equation, we can use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities. We can start by expanding the left side of the equation and then using the double angle formula for tangent to simplify. From there, we can use the Pythagorean identity for sine to further simplify the equation. Finally, by equating the two sides, we can show that they are equivalent.

4. Can this equation be used to solve for unknown values?

Yes, this equation can be used to solve for unknown values of x. By manipulating the equation and using inverse trigonometric functions, we can solve for x in terms of known values or variables.

5. Are there any limitations to this equation?

As with any mathematical equation, there may be limitations to its applicability. In this case, the equation is only valid for values of x that do not cause the denominator to be zero. Additionally, we must also consider any restrictions on the values of x for the trigonometric functions involved.