Prove Fibonacci formula with induction?

In summary, the person is having difficulties proving the Fibonacci formula with induction and is seeking assistance. They have tried a base case of n=1 and have attempted to add n+1 to both sides, but are unsure of where to go from there. They are looking for help in assuming the formula is true for f(n) and f(n-1).
Sven

Homework Statement

I'm trying to prove the Fibonacci formula with induction, but I'm having difficulties. This is what I'm trying to prove:

http://www.psc-consulting.ca/fenske/cpjav17e.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I did a base case, n=1. It worked, so move to induction. Now, I have absolutely *no* idea how to get this to work, even start? So I took it and added n+1 to both sides. Then what? I tried multiplying by sqrt(5) to make it a lil simpler (dunno if I'm allowed to do that) but I'm really not sure where to go next. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to assume that the formula is true for f(n) and for f(n-1).

what base case(s) do you have to prove?

I understand your struggle to prove the Fibonacci formula with induction. It can be a challenging task, but with careful reasoning and mathematical manipulation, we can arrive at a proof.

First, let's review the Fibonacci sequence. It is defined as a sequence of numbers where each term is the sum of the two preceding terms, starting with 0 and 1. So, the sequence goes like this: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, ...

Now, let's rewrite the formula we are trying to prove using the definition of the Fibonacci sequence:

F(n+1) = F(n) + F(n-1)

where F(n) represents the nth term in the Fibonacci sequence.

Next, we will use mathematical induction to prove that this formula holds true for all values of n.

Step 1: Base case
We start by proving the formula for the first term, n=1. From the definition of the Fibonacci sequence, we know that F(1) = 1 and F(0) = 0. Plugging these values into the formula, we get:
F(1+1) = F(1) + F(1-1)
F(2) = F(1) + F(0)
1 = 1 + 0
1 = 1

So, the formula holds true for n=1.

Step 2: Inductive hypothesis
Assuming that the formula holds true for some arbitrary integer k, we will prove that it also holds true for k+1.

Step 3: Inductive step
We want to show that if the formula holds true for k, then it also holds true for k+1. So, we start with the left side of the equation:
F((k+1)+1) = F(k+2)
Using the definition of the Fibonacci sequence, we can rewrite this as:
F(k+2) = F(k+1) + F(k)

Now, we will use our inductive hypothesis and substitute F(k) and F(k+1) with their respective formulas:
F(k+2) = F(k+1) + F(k)
= (F(k) + F(k-1)) + (F(k-1) + F(k-2))
= (F(k) + F(k-1)) + F(k-1) + F(k

Related to Prove Fibonacci formula with induction?

1. What is the Fibonacci formula?

The Fibonacci formula is a mathematical formula that calculates the sequence of numbers known as the Fibonacci sequence. It is defined as Fn = Fn-1 + Fn-2, where Fn represents the nth number in the sequence, and Fn-1 and Fn-2 represent the previous two numbers in the sequence. The first two numbers in the sequence are 0 and 1, and every subsequent number is the sum of the two previous numbers.

2. What is induction?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique that is used to prove statements about all natural numbers. It involves showing that a statement is true for the first few natural numbers (usually 0 and 1), and then showing that if the statement is true for a particular number, it must also be true for the next number. This process is repeated until the statement has been proven to be true for all natural numbers.

3. Why is induction used to prove the Fibonacci formula?

Induction is used to prove the Fibonacci formula because it is a statement that is true for all natural numbers. By using induction, we can show that the formula is true for the first few numbers in the sequence (0 and 1), and then use the fact that it is true for a particular number to show that it must also be true for the next number. This process can be repeated to show that the formula is true for all natural numbers, thus proving the formula using induction.

4. What is the base case in the proof of the Fibonacci formula?

The base case in the proof of the Fibonacci formula is when n = 0 or n = 1. These are the first two numbers in the Fibonacci sequence, and they are used as the starting point for the proof by induction. By showing that the formula is true for these two numbers, we can then use induction to show that it is true for all subsequent numbers in the sequence.

5. Can the Fibonacci formula be proven using methods other than induction?

Yes, the Fibonacci formula can also be proven using other methods, such as direct proof or proof by contradiction. However, induction is the most commonly used method for proving the formula because it is a statement that is true for all natural numbers, and induction is specifically designed for proving statements about all natural numbers. Additionally, the proof by induction for the Fibonacci formula is relatively simple and straightforward, making it an efficient method for proving the formula.