Prove f(x) Continuous at x=1/2 for x Rational, Irrational

• Thread starter ashok vardhan
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to prove that for any rational number k, f(kx)=kf(x) for any continuous function f(x) at x=0. This can be done by assuming k to be p/q where p and q are integers, and using the definition of continuity and the sequence convergence theorem. It can also be proved using the definition of limits and the given function.
ashok vardhan
f[x]=x,x is rational, 1-x, x is irrational. prove that f(x) is only continuous at x=1/2.

Physics news on Phys.org
please give a proper mathematical solution to this

Why? It looks like homework to me. You need to try yourself, first, and show us what you have.

Here's a nudge: for any x, there exist a sequence of rational numbers converging to x and there exist a sequence or irrational numbers converging to x.

i have already solved the problem in the way you suggested.but i have a problem in solving it using epsilon and those things

Reminder: members are expected to show their attempt at solving a problem before they receive help.

ashok vardhan: please see your Private Messages for an important message, if you have not already done so.

f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y).f is continuous at x=0.prove that f(kx)=kf(x). i have proved it for k os an integer.for k a rational number i assumed it to be of p/q.and i can't proceed further to prove this. would you like to help in this

Is this a completely new problem? f(x+ y) is definitely NOT equal to f(x)+ f(y) for the problem you gave before. For example, [itex]1+ \sqrt{2}[/itex] is irrational and so [itex]f(1+ \sqrt{2})= 1- (1+ \sqrt{2})= -\sqrt{2}[/itex] but since 1 is rational and [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is irrational, [itex]f(1)+ f(\sqrt{2})= 1+ (1- \sqrt{2})= 2- \sqrt{2}[/itex].

You didn't say anything about using [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and [itex]\delta[/itex] in your first post. If you are not allowed to use "[itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= L[/itex] if and only if, for any sequence [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] that converges to a, the sequence [itex]\{f(x_n)\}[/itex] converges to L", then copy the proof of that theorem, for this particular function.

Related to Prove f(x) Continuous at x=1/2 for x Rational, Irrational

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

A function is considered continuous if it has no abrupt changes or breaks in its graph. This means that the function is defined and has a limit at every point in its domain.

2. What is the difference between rational and irrational numbers?

Rational numbers are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, such as 1/2 or 3/4. Irrational numbers, on the other hand, cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers and have an infinite number of non-repeating decimal places, such as pi or the square root of 2.

3. Why is proving continuity at a specific point important?

Proving continuity at a specific point is important because it ensures that the function is well-behaved and has no sudden jumps or gaps in its graph. This allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations using the function.

4. How do you prove continuity at a specific point for a function with both rational and irrational inputs?

To prove continuity at a specific point for a function with both rational and irrational inputs, we need to show that the limit of the function as x approaches the point from both the left and right sides is equal to the value of the function at that point. In this case, we need to show that the limit of f(x) as x approaches 1/2 from both the left and right sides is equal to f(1/2).

5. What techniques can be used to prove continuity at a specific point?

There are a few techniques that can be used to prove continuity at a specific point, such as the definition of continuity, the epsilon-delta method, and the continuity theorems. These techniques involve using mathematical concepts and properties to show that the limit and value of the function are equal at the specific point.