Prove Constant: Entire Function f(z)=f(1/z)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Amer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that a function with certain properties is constant. Several approaches are suggested, including using Cauchy-Riemann equations, Liouville's theorem, and Taylor and Laurent series. Ultimately, it is shown that the function must be constant by showing that all of its coefficients are equal to zero.
Amer
if f is entire and f(z) = f(1/z) for all z, Prove f is constant
any hint ?

I was thinking about if I can prove that f' = 0 then we are done so
$f(z) = f\left(\dfrac{1}{z}\right)$
$f(x,y) = f\left(\dfrac{x}{x^2+y^2} , \dfrac{-y}{x^2+y^2} \right) $

I thought about Cauchy remain Equations.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have a solution that uses Taylor and Laurent series. If you know about those series, that's a hint. Otherwise, it might be helpful for you to state in which section of text this problem occurs.

Amer said:
if f is entire and f(z) = f(1/z) for all z, Prove f is constant
any hint ?
Use Liouville's theorem – show that $f$ is bounded in the unit ball. Then the condition $ f(z) = f(1/z)$ shows that it is also bounded outside the unit ball, hence everywhere.

Here's my solution, which is quite different from Opalg's elegant argument:

Since $f$ is entire, we can write

$f(z) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_nz^n$

which converges for all $z \in \mathbb{C}$. Rewrite this as a Laurent series:

$f(z) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_nz^n$

where $a_n = 0$ for $n<0$. Then

$f(1/z) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_{-n}z^n$

Since $f(z)=f(1/z)$, we have

$\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_nz^n=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_{-n}z^n$

By the uniqueness property of Laurent series, we see that $a_n=a_{-n}$ for all $n$. Therefore, $a_n=0$ for all $n \neq 0$. We conclude that $f(z)=a_0$ for all $z \in \mathbb{C}$, so $f$ is constant.

Petek said:
Here's my solution, which is quite different from Opalg's elegant argument:

Since $f$ is entire, we can write

$f(z) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_nz^n$

which converges for all $z \in \mathbb{C}$. Rewrite this as a Laurent series:

$f(z) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_nz^n$

where $a_n = 0$ for $n<0$. Then

$f(1/z) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_{-n}z^n$

Since $f(z)=f(1/z)$, we have

$\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_nz^n=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_{-n}z^n$

By the uniqueness property of Laurent series, we see that $a_n=a_{-n}$ for all $n$. Therefore, $a_n=0$ for all $n \neq 0$. We conclude that $f(z)=a_0$ for all $z \in \mathbb{C}$, so $f$ is constant.

$\displaystyle f \left( \frac{1}{z} \right) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} a_{-n} z^n $

Why if $a_n = a_{-n} $ we conclude $a_n = 0 $ for all $n$ non zero ?
Thanks

Amer said:
$\displaystyle f \left( \frac{1}{z} \right) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} a_{-n} z^n $

Why if $a_n = a_{-n} $ we conclude $a_n = 0 $ for all $n$ non zero ?
Thanks

Sorry, I should have explained that better. In the expression $f(z)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty a_nz^n$ all of the $a_n$ with $n<0$ are zero. On the other hand, in the expression $f(1/z)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty a_{-n}z^n$ all of the $a_n$ with $n>0$ are zero. The equation $a_n=a_{-n}$, simply says that the coefficients of each power of $z$ in the two series are equal. Since, for nonzero $n$, the coefficient of $z^n$ is $0$ in at least one of the series, we conclude that all the coefficients of such powers of $z$ are $0$.

Hope that makes my argument more clear.

Petek said:
Sorry, I should have explained that better. In the expression $f(z)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty a_nz^n$ all of the $a_n$ with $n<0$ are zero. On the other hand, in the expression $f(1/z)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty a_{-n}z^n$ all of the $a_n$ with $n>0$ are zero. The equation $a_n=a_{-n}$, simply says that the coefficients of each power of $z$ in the two series are equal. Since, for nonzero $n$, the coefficient of $z^n$ is $0$ in at least one of the series, we conclude that all the coefficients of such powers of $z$ are $0$.

Hope that makes my argument more clear.

Very clear thanks for your effort.

Related to Prove Constant: Entire Function f(z)=f(1/z)

What is an entire function?

An entire function is a complex-valued function that is defined and analytic (has a derivative at every point) over the entire complex plane.

What does it mean to prove a function is constant?

Proving that a function is constant means showing that the function always returns the same value, regardless of the input. In other words, the function does not depend on the input and is therefore constant.

How do you prove a function is entire?

To prove that a function is entire, you must show that it is analytic over the entire complex plane. This can be done by checking that the function has a derivative at every point in the complex plane.

What is the significance of f(z)=f(1/z) for an entire function?

If f(z)=f(1/z) for an entire function, it means that the function is symmetric about the origin. This can provide useful information about the function's behavior and can also be used in the proof that the function is constant.

What are some common techniques for proving a function is constant?

Some common techniques for proving a function is constant include using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, using the maximum modulus principle, and using the identity theorem. It is also important to consider the domain and range of the function and to make use of any given conditions or constraints.