Prove about radius of convergence

In summary, the power series \sumck (z-a)^k over all k converges to 1/R when ck is not 0 and you can use the epsilon-definition of the limsup to prove the theorem.
jacobrhcp

Homework Statement

Prove that the radius of convergence [tex]\rho[/tex] of the power series [tex]\sum[/tex]ck (z-a)^k over all k, equals 1/R when ck is not 0 and you know that:

|[tex]\frac{ck+1}{ck}[/tex]|=R>0

Homework Equations

I was planning on using that the radius of convergence is in this case:
[tex]\rho[/tex]= 1/limsup(|ck|^1/k) ( and k->infinity)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to make it sensible that

limsup(|ck|^1/k)=|[tex]\frac{ck+1}{ck}[/tex]|=R

I've been staring at it for quite some hours now (it's 3 in the morning and it's got to be done by 9 o'clock this morning... so any help would be greatly appreciated, though I understand if you think it's my own fault)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure a quick ratio test does the trick

I'm not so sure what a ratio test is (I'm reading about on wikipedia right now) but we haven't handeled it yet, and so I can't use it.

edit: unless I prove it, ofcourse.

edit2: taking another look at it, it looks like I'm trying to prove this ratio test for general power series here, but they didn't tell me it's name <_<

edit3: and thanks for your help, ofcourse =)

Last edited:
it's 3:30 and it's looking hopeless; I'm going to go to bed now. Thanks all.

I find it hard to imagine anyone working with power series if they have not already learned how to handle numerical series. And I find it hard to believe that you could have already learned numerical series without learning the ratio test!

I am a bit concerned about your [tex]\frac{ck+1}{ck}[/tex]
I would think it ought to be [tex]\frac{c(k+1)}{ck}[/tex].

well, I did the assignment now, without the ratio test. I used the epsilon-definition of the limsup, and it followed quite easily.

The ratio test they did in an other course (on Fourier analysis), but we skipped the use of it, but proved the theorem by ourselves.

if you'd like to know: here are the course specifics (translated to english by me)

course: analysis 2

foreknowledge: analysis 1, linear algebra, calc1, foundations of higher mathematics

description:

After a short repeat of definitions and basics about functions in more variables, we handle theorems about exchanging. These are about exchanging limits, order of integration, differential operators, limits under the integral. After that we introduce line integrals and gradient vector fields. Complex line integrals are used to research complex differentiable functions of complex variables.

In the second part we study power series and Fourier series. We show that a function is complex differentiable if and only if it's equal to the sum of convergent power series.

and you're right about what it ought to be.

Related to Prove about radius of convergence

1. What is the definition of radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a mathematical concept used in power series to determine the values of the variable for which the series converges. It is the distance from the center of the power series to the closest point where the series converges.

2. How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence is typically calculated using the ratio test, which compares the absolute value of the coefficient of the variable in the series to the limit of the ratio between consecutive terms. If this limit is less than 1, the series converges and the radius of convergence can be determined.

3. What is the significance of the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence provides information about the behavior of a power series. If the value of the variable is within the radius of convergence, the series will converge and the sum can be approximated. If the value is outside the radius of convergence, the series will diverge and the sum cannot be approximated.

4. Can the radius of convergence be infinite?

Yes, in some cases the radius of convergence can be infinite, meaning that the series converges for all values of the variable. This is often the case for simple power series such as geometric or alternating series.

5. How does the radius of convergence relate to the convergence of the series?

The radius of convergence is directly related to the convergence of the series. If the series converges for a specific value of the variable, then the value must be within the radius of convergence. However, the series may still converge at the endpoints of the radius of convergence, so additional tests may be needed to determine the full convergence behavior of the series.