Proton Collision Feynman Diagram

In summary: I'm afraid. In summary, a relativistic proton colliding with a stationary proton results in changes in the momentum of both particles and the production of a neutral pion. The pion then decays into two photons. While pion production in p-p collisions is not rare, the production of pions from two photons is unlikely and it is more likely to come from the decay of high mass baryon states.
connorp
Supposed to represent a relativistic proton colliding with a stationary proton, leading to changes in the momentum of both and the production of a neutral pion. The pion then decays into two photons.

No clue if this is right. I've never drawn anything much more complicated than electron-positron annihilations. Any help is appreciated.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428543224.371581.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to make sure that your particles travel in time ... one of the product protons, for eg, travels in the -space direction and backwards in time while one of the u's appears to be stationary in the center of mass frame of the initial protons. Hmmm... don't interactions involving triangles usually sum to zero?
When you go ##u \to u + \gamma## ... are you saying that the particle spontaneously emits a photon? And why is the second u traveling backwards in time?

You are basically drawing a position-time graph ... you've been doing those since secondary school - you now how to do those.

I'm sorry, but what you are drawing is not a Feynman diagram. It doesn't conserve charge, and there's an arrow on the pi0.

Draw each fundamental fermion as a separate line with an arrow. Don't draw hadrons as single lines. Make sure the arrows point "backwards" for antifermions.

I've redrawn the π0 decay since you pretty much got it right, other than the single line for the meson itself. The oval won't be necessary on your diagram, and I didn't care for space and time axes.

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 3,739
@Simon Bridge: the pion decay is fine, apart from the drawing of the pion as mentioned before.

The proton/proton collision process does not make sense. Proton plus proton cannot give pion+Z. And the "space" axis is questionable at best. You don't know the directions the particles will fly to, and you don't want to fix it in a sketch like this.

Any better?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,774
That is an unlikely, but possible process.

From NASA:
"In gamma-ray astronomy, "particle-particle collision" usually means a high-energy proton, or cosmic ray, strikes another proton or atomic nucleus. This collision produces, among other things, one or more neutral pi mesons (or pions). These are unstable particles that decay into a pair of gamma rays."
I have found several other sources as well that indicate it is not a completely rare outcome from a high energy p-p collision. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Pions from p-p collisions are more likely to come from the decay of high mass baryon states (deltas etc. etc.) than from the kind of process you've drawn.

I did not say pion production was rare, but pion production from two photons is. A production via the strong interaction is much more likely.
DaPi said:
Pions from p-p collisions are more likely to come from the decay of high mass baryon states (deltas etc. etc.) than from the kind of process you've drawn.
If the energy is sufficient most pions come from hadronization itself, not from hadron decays afterwards.

connorp said:
Any better?
??

I'd go with what mfb said in his last post... it's a strong interaction that will give the pion...

Related to Proton Collision Feynman Diagram

1. What is a Proton Collision Feynman Diagram?

A Proton Collision Feynman Diagram is a visual representation of a subatomic particle interaction, specifically the collision of two protons. It is named after physicist Richard Feynman who developed the concept.

2. How is a Proton Collision Feynman Diagram used in particle physics?

Proton Collision Feynman Diagrams are used to represent and calculate the probability of particle interactions in high-energy physics experiments. They help scientists understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe.

3. What do the lines and symbols in a Proton Collision Feynman Diagram represent?

The lines represent particles, with straight lines representing fermions (such as protons) and wavy lines representing bosons (such as photons). The symbols represent the interactions between particles, such as the emission or absorption of a particle.

4. How are Proton Collision Feynman Diagrams created?

Proton Collision Feynman Diagrams are created using Feynman rules, which are mathematical formulas that determine the probability of particle interactions based on their properties. These diagrams are then drawn to visualize the interactions.

5. Are Proton Collision Feynman Diagrams accurate representations of particle interactions?

Proton Collision Feynman Diagrams are simplified representations of complex particle interactions. While they provide a useful tool for visualization and calculation, they do not accurately represent the exact behavior of particles, as this can only be determined through experiments and further research.