Proper distance integral limits seem wrong

In summary, the proper distance dp(t) can be written as an integral from t_e to t_0 of c/a(t)dt, which can also be expressed as an integral from 0 to z of c/H(z)dz. This can be calculated using the fact that H = \dot a/a and 1 + z = 1/a(t_e). The limits of integration must be switched to account for the minus sign in da = -a^2dz. This means that t_0 corresponds to a redshift of 0, while t_e corresponds to a redshift of z. This clarification has helped to settle the confusion.
deneve
I've seen in some lecture notes that the proper distance dp(t) can be written as
##\int_{t_e}^{t_0} c dt/a = \int_0^z c dz /H(z)##

I can perform this integral ok using
##H =\dot a/a## and the fact that ##1 + z = 1/a(t_e)## but it requires associating the limits of the integration as te transforming to z and t0 to z= 0 - there is a minus sign which creeps in when you find dz/dt because da = - a2dz so the limits have to be switched. Thus they don't match as it appears when you read the integral.

I don't see how to interpret this because I feel it should be the other way round. That is t 0 should be associated with red shift z (that's what we measure today) and at time t = te the red shift should be 0 . Why am I wrong here?

Space news on Phys.org
If the photon is emitted at t_0, then its observed redshift will be zero. If it's emitted at t_e, then its observed redshift will be z.

Thank you Chalnoth that makes so much sense. I just couldn't get it right in my mind but this has settled the matter.

Kindest regards

Related to Proper distance integral limits seem wrong

What does the proper distance integral measure?

The proper distance integral is a way to calculate the distance between two points in space, taking into account the curvature of the space itself. It is commonly used in cosmology to measure the distance between galaxies or other celestial objects.

Why do the limits of the proper distance integral sometimes seem incorrect?

The limits of the proper distance integral can seem incorrect because they are often calculated using a simplified model of the universe, which may not accurately reflect the true curvature of space. Additionally, the limits may be affected by factors such as the expansion of the universe or the presence of dark energy.

How can I ensure that the limits of the proper distance integral are accurate?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to use the most up-to-date cosmological models and data when calculating the limits of the proper distance integral. It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists and compare results to ensure consistency.

Are there any alternative methods for calculating distance in curved space?

Yes, there are alternative methods for calculating distance in curved space, such as using geodesic equations or using numerical simulations. However, the proper distance integral is a commonly used and well-established method in cosmology.

How does the proper distance integral relate to the concept of spacetime?

The proper distance integral is a way to measure the spatial distance between two points in a curved spacetime. It takes into account the spatial curvature caused by mass and energy in the universe, as well as the expansion of the universe over time.