Propagating degree of freedom (GR)

In summary, the speaker is discussing the number of degrees of freedom from the number of constraints of the Einstein field equations. They are stuck on the second thumbnail and the deduction that the right hand side of equation 5.18 can only have two derivatives at most. The speaker is unsure of how to deduce this and asks if they need to carry out dimensional analysis. They also mention that the first term should have third-order derivatives, not just two. The expert agrees that the statement is not correct and suggests a correction that the right hand side can have at most two time derivatives of any of the metric components.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

I am trying to follow my lecture notes, attached below, an argument to the number of degrees of freedom from the number of constraints of he Einstein field equations

The bit I a man stuck on is the second thumbnail, and the deduction that he righ hand side of 5.18 only has two derivatives at most. I see that the terms the connection multiplied by G must be a first derivative of the metric multiplied by a second derivative, since ## R \approx \partial\Gamma \implies G \approx \partial^2 g ##

However for the first term I would deduce a third derivative of the metric, since there's another derivative acting on ##G##

So I am unsure how to deduce the right hand side must at most have two derivatives of any type. Do I need to carry out some sort of dimensional analysis ? Obviously these terms must be consistent with each other, in turn consistent with the left hand side? From the second and third term I could agree with the statEment but not the first ? If so, I am unsure how to go about this...

Many thanks
IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

Homework Equations

Above

The Attempt at a Solution

Above[/B]

Attachments

• IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 560
Physics news on Phys.org
bump?

The notes make the statement:
"But we know that the right hand side has at most two derivatives, of any kind."

I agree with you that this is not correct. The first term of the right hand side would have third-order derivatives of metric components with respect to spatial coordinates ##x^i##. I believe the statement should have said something like:
"But we know that the right hand side has at most two time derivatives of any of the ##g_{\mu \nu}##."

With this correction, the next statement of the notes is still correct. That is, "there cannot be any term in ##G^{t \nu}## with two time derivatives in it".

Last edited:
Likes Geofleur

Related to Propagating degree of freedom (GR)

1. What is the propagating degree of freedom in general relativity?

The propagating degree of freedom in general relativity refers to the number of independent components or variables that are needed to fully describe and model the gravitational field. In other words, it is the number of ways in which the gravitational field can change or evolve over time.

2. How does the propagating degree of freedom in general relativity differ from other theories of gravity?

In general relativity, there is only one propagating degree of freedom, which is the metric tensor. This means that there is only one gravitational field that affects the curvature of space-time. In contrast, other theories of gravity may have more than one propagating degree of freedom, resulting in different predictions for the behavior of gravity.

3. How does the concept of the propagating degree of freedom relate to the concept of gauge invariance?

In general relativity, the propagating degree of freedom is closely related to the principle of gauge invariance. This principle states that the equations describing the gravitational field must remain unchanged under certain transformations, such as a change in coordinates. The propagating degree of freedom, the metric tensor, is the only variable that remains invariant under these transformations.

4. What implications does the propagating degree of freedom have for our understanding of the universe?

The propagating degree of freedom in general relativity plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of gravity on a large scale, including the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies. It also helps us to understand the effects of gravity on the structure and evolution of the universe as a whole.

5. Are there any ongoing research or developments related to the propagating degree of freedom in general relativity?

Yes, there is ongoing research and developments related to the propagating degree of freedom in general relativity. Scientists are constantly exploring and refining different theories of gravity, including modifications of general relativity that may have more than one propagating degree of freedom. Additionally, researchers are using advanced techniques and technologies to study and observe the effects of gravity on a variety of astrophysical systems, which can provide valuable insights into the nature of the propagating degree of freedom.