Pronouncing Spinors: A Self-Adjoint QM & GR Example

In summary, Self Adjoint explains that in Quantum Mechanics, there are instances where it does not work with General Relativity due to the use of Spinors, which define quantum mechanical particles. The speaker then asks how to pronounce spinors, clarifying if it is similar to spinners or something else. They also mention checking the dictionary for the correct pronunciation. Self Adjoint provides a link to a pronunciation guide and confirms that it is pronounced as "spin'ur." The speaker expresses relief and humor in being able to pronounce it correctly and mentions it being time to discuss Spinors in their lecture.
Tom McCurdy
Self Adjoint very nicely gave me an example when QM doesn't work with GR using something called Spinors which define quantum mechanical particles. i was wondering

how exactly is spinors pronounced

Is it like spinners umm like the rims lol :) ?

Sorry for the odd question, I just don't want to sound dumb for my lecture. the dictionary didn't have it when I looked for how to pronouce it.

Physics news on Phys.org
spin'ur

Listen to this: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=spinors

hahahaha that's great IT IS the same

hehe now I can say its time to talk about Spinors flash

a spinner
then have not that kind

thanks doc

Related to Pronouncing Spinors: A Self-Adjoint QM & GR Example

1. What are spinors in quantum mechanics and general relativity?

Spinors are mathematical objects used to describe the spin of particles in quantum mechanics and the rotation of spacetime in general relativity. They are represented by complex numbers and have both magnitude and direction, much like vectors.

2. Why is the pronunciation of spinors important in understanding quantum mechanics and general relativity?

The pronunciation of spinors is important because it helps us differentiate between different mathematical concepts and understand their specific roles in these complex theories. It also allows for more precise communication among scientists and avoids confusion in discussions and research.

3. How do you properly pronounce spinors?

The correct pronunciation of spinors is "spy-ners" with the emphasis on the first syllable. It is important to note that the "o" is pronounced as a short "i" sound, rather than a long "o" sound.

4. Are there any common mispronunciations of spinors?

Yes, there are some common mispronunciations of spinors such as "spin-ors" or "spee-nors." These mispronunciations may lead to confusion and should be avoided when discussing these concepts.

5. Are there any resources available to help with the pronunciation of spinors?

Yes, there are various online resources and guides that provide the correct pronunciation of spinors, including audio recordings and phonetic spellings. Additionally, consulting with fellow scientists and experts in the field can also be helpful in ensuring proper pronunciation.