Pronounce Serotonin: Fun Post Help

• Thread starter DB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funny
In summary: In summary, the conversation is about the pronunciation of the word serotonin. The poster asks for help in pronouncing it correctly and another poster provides a link to an online dictionary with audio pronunciations. The correct pronunciation is discussed, with variations and regional accents mentioned. The poster also shares their own way of pronouncing the word and notes how it doesn't follow the usual rules for biological terms. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about being arbitrary with pronunciation.
DB
sort of a funny post, if it not to much trouble could some1 help me pronouce the word serotonin? thnx

Biology news on Phys.org
DB said:
sort of a funny post, if it not to much trouble could some1 help me pronouce the word serotonin? thnx

Sss-Air-Oh-Tone-In

Accent is on the third syllable, but only slightly so. ser-uh-TOE-nin

There are online dictionaries that have audio pronunciations. Go here to listen to the word. http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=serotonin&x=10&y=13 Just click on the little red speaker icon. This is also a great tool for non-english speakers to learn how to pronounce words.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
Accent is on the third syllable, but only slightly so. ser-uh-TOE-nin

Is that how you say it? All this time I've been pronouncing it with the classical antipenult: sair-AH-tunin, where the u represents a schwa or neutral vowel (weak "uh" in English).

selfAdjoint said:
Is that how you say it? All this time I've been pronouncing it with the classical antipenult: sair-AH-tunin, where the u represents a schwa or neutral vowel (weak "uh" in English).
Click on Evo's link. I don't agree with the way they broke the syllables in the written version (they put the r into the second syllable, and it really is part of the first syllable), but the way the person there pronounces it is pretty much the way I pronounce it (with a slight regional accent variation in vowel sound of the "ser" part), and is the correct pronunciation. But, yeah, this one doesn't follow the "default" pronunciation of biological terms where the accent would be the third syllable from the end (is that what antipenult means?) Don't you love how we have rules for pronunciation and then don't follow them?

thanks guys :)

Sarah Tone In

Moonbear said:
the third syllable from the end (is that what antipenult means?) Don't you love how we have rules for pronunciation and then don't follow them?

Yes. Ult means last, penult means "almost last", i.e. next-to-last, and antepenult means "before the almost last", or third from the end. I doubt that I'll be changing my pronunciation; I can be just as arbitrary as anybody! :)

Ante-antepenultima

selfAdjoint said:
Yes. Ult means last, penult means "almost last", i.e. next-to-last, and antepenult means "before the almost last", or third from the end.
Also, as a noun ult is used only as ultima. Penult and antepenult are nouns in those forms, but can also be used as penultima and antepenultima. And ante-antepenult (which can be in the form ante-antepenultima) is a noun meaning fourth from the last in a series.
google.com/search?q=ante-antepenult

Last edited:

Related to Pronounce Serotonin: Fun Post Help

1. What is serotonin and why is it important?

Serotonin is a chemical neurotransmitter that plays a key role in regulating many bodily functions, including mood, sleep, appetite, and digestion. It is often referred to as the "happy hormone" because it contributes to feelings of well-being and happiness.

2. How do you pronounce serotonin?

The correct pronunciation of serotonin is suh-RAH-toh-nin. The emphasis is on the second syllable.

3. Can low levels of serotonin cause mental health problems?

Yes, low levels of serotonin have been linked to various mental health conditions, such as depression, anxiety, and obsessive-compulsive disorder. However, it is important to note that serotonin is not the sole cause of these conditions and other factors also play a role.

4. How can I increase my serotonin levels naturally?

There are several ways to naturally boost serotonin levels in the body, such as exercise, spending time outdoors, getting enough sleep, and eating a balanced diet that includes foods rich in tryptophan, the building block of serotonin.

5. Are there any side effects of having too much serotonin?

Yes, having too much serotonin in the body can lead to a condition called serotonin syndrome, which can cause symptoms such as agitation, confusion, rapid heart rate, and high blood pressure. This is often a result of taking medications or supplements that increase serotonin levels too quickly. It is important to always follow dosage instructions and consult a doctor before making any changes to medication or supplement routines.