Programs at Oberlin and Macalester

• Thread starter wynton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programs
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking advice on the physics departments at Oberlin and Macalester colleges for their son who is deciding between the two schools. They are also wondering if either school has a stronger astrophysics program. They have visited both schools and the son seems to prefer Macalester overall, but is concerned about the strength of Oberlin's physics program. They are looking for an objective way to assess the strength of the physics programs at each school, possibly through a third-party resource that rates or evaluates undergraduate programs.
wynton
I posted a question here once before, as my son was beginning the college application process. Now that the decisions have arrived, it appears that he will likely be deciding between Oberlin and Macalester.

From what I can discern, the schools are very close in reputation as a general matter, but I can't tell how their physics departments compare. Does anyone have an opinion about their physics programs specifically?

Also, my son thinks he may eventually want to pursue astrophysics. Is that a reason to favor either school?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am bumping this thread, in the hope that it will catch someone's interest this time.

We visited Oberlin and Macalester last week. My son seems to like Macalester more in general, but he is concerned that Oberlin's physics/astronomy program might be much stronger than Macalester, enough so that it is a determinative factor.

Is there any objective way of assessing how strong the physics programs are at each school? Is there any resource from a third-party that reliably rates or evaluates undergraduate programs?

Related to Programs at Oberlin and Macalester

1. What programs are available at Oberlin and Macalester?

Oberlin and Macalester both offer a wide range of programs in various fields including arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Some popular programs at Oberlin include Music, Creative Writing, and Neuroscience. Macalester's top programs include International Studies, Economics, and Biology.

2. Can students at Oberlin and Macalester create their own programs or majors?

Yes, both Oberlin and Macalester have flexible academic structures that allow students to design their own programs or majors. This is often done in collaboration with a faculty advisor and must be approved by the respective academic departments.

3. Are there opportunities for research or hands-on learning at Oberlin and Macalester?

Yes, both Oberlin and Macalester prioritize hands-on learning and offer numerous opportunities for undergraduate research. Students can work closely with faculty on research projects, present their findings at conferences, and even publish their work in academic journals.

4. Are there study abroad options available for students at Oberlin and Macalester?

Both Oberlin and Macalester have strong study abroad programs, with over 50% of students participating in a study abroad experience during their time at the colleges. These programs offer a variety of locations and academic focuses, allowing students to gain a global perspective on their studies.

5. How do the programs at Oberlin and Macalester prepare students for their future careers?

Oberlin and Macalester both have career centers that offer resources and support for students as they prepare for life after graduation. Additionally, the diverse academic programs at both colleges provide students with a well-rounded education and critical thinking skills that are highly sought after by employers.