Programming language in MSN/Y/MS Office?

In summary: If you are looking for the language used to create the software, a good place to start would be looking for strings in the file. There is usually a program called "strings" which will filter out the printable characters from any file.
pairofstrings
My question is simple. And that is: How to find out the programming language used in creating the softwares that we use on our different platforms/architectures/instruction sets? Is there any method to find it? Is it necessary that all the windows based software use C/C++ to create softwares? Which language is preferred, in general?

Thank you for replying.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Yes: write a polite e-mail to the publisher (although sometimes, it'll also be stated on their website). There are a multitude of compilers of various programming languages that target the Windows platform, and most have probably been used at some point to compile code. Windows (or any other OS) doesn't care what language a program was written in: just whether or not the binary code (compiled from the source code) works.

No Java? Is it because java programs needs Java Run-time Environment(installed) to run the program that everybody gives preference to C/C++?

pairofstrings said:
My question is simple. And that is: How to find out the programming language used in creating the softwares that we use on our different platforms/architectures/instruction sets? Is there any method to find it? Is it necessary that all the windows based software use C/C++ to create softwares? Which language is preferred, in general?

Thank you for replying.

For development, if you are developing for something like windows, you have to understand the structure of the binary representation for programs, and then how to make calls to the various routines.

In terms of developing for the windows platform, many of the platform functions exist in public Dynamic Link Libraries (DLL's). In fact this is the way it works for many windows programs.

Then there are frameworks like the Component Object Model (COM) and the .NET platform. Again these have their own special representations as well as ways to interface the objects and make use of them.

In terms of the language, you can pretty much use anything that is out there, just so long as it interfaces correctly with whatever you are trying to interface with.

As an example of this look at the .NET platform. You can call any valid procedure from VB.NET, C#.NET, the C++.NET implementation and so on. They all reduce their code down to .NET intermediate representations, but never the less it does demonstrate what I said above.

If you want to do some simple things within Office, you might want to use Visual Basic for Applications if that is still supported. VBA is basically Visual Basic, and with that you can do things like add functionality to spreadsheets, databases, or documents. If you know Visual Basic, then the big challenges are knowing what the states are, as well as the callbacks for the different document types.

If you have a professional version of Office, you should be able to get access to the VBA backend if Office still has VBA support (I know it definitely used to in older versions, but I'm not sure about newer ones).

If you want to know what the source language was for a specific .exe or .dll file, try looking at it in a text editor. There are often some character strings identifying the software development system that created it.

On unix systems, there is usually a program called "strings" which will filter out the printable characters from any file.

Which text editor should I try?

Related to Programming language in MSN/Y/MS Office?

1. What is a programming language in MSN/Y/MS Office?

A programming language in MSN/Y/MS Office is a set of instructions and rules that are used to create programs or software within the MSN/Y/MS Office suite. These languages allow users to customize and automate tasks within the software, making it more efficient and tailored to their specific needs.

2. What are some common programming languages used in MSN/Y/MS Office?

Some common programming languages used in MSN/Y/MS Office include Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), C#, and JavaScript. These languages are often used to create macros, add-ins, and customized solutions for Excel, Word, and other MSN/Y/MS Office programs.

3. Is it necessary to know programming languages to use MSN/Y/MS Office?

No, it is not necessary to know programming languages to use MSN/Y/MS Office. The suite is designed to be user-friendly and accessible to all users, regardless of their programming knowledge. However, learning some basic programming skills can greatly enhance the functionality and efficiency of MSN/Y/MS Office.

4. Can I create my own custom programs using programming languages in MSN/Y/MS Office?

Yes, you can create your own custom programs using programming languages in MSN/Y/MS Office. These languages allow users to write code and create personalized solutions for their specific needs within the MSN/Y/MS Office suite.

5. Are there any resources available to learn programming languages in MSN/Y/MS Office?

Yes, there are many resources available to learn programming languages in MSN/Y/MS Office. Microsoft offers tutorials, documentation, and online courses for their programming languages, and there are also many third-party resources and courses available online.