Problem understanding a proof in Spivak Vol. 4

In summary, the discussion involves proving an inequality using the given equations and attempting to understand the second term in the proof. The key to understanding the term is to verify the given inequality and remember that analysis is all about inequalities. There may have been confusion due to a mistaken equal sign in the fourth line of the proof.
SheldonG

Homework Statement

This is from Spivak, Vol. 4 Page 102-103

Given |x-x_0| < 1, |x-x0| < Epsilon/(2(|y_0|+1))

Also given |y-y_0| < Epsilon/(2(|x_0| + 1))

Prove |xy-x_0y_0| < Epsilon

Homework Equations

See above

The Attempt at a Solution

The proof proceeds clearly enough. Using |x-x_0| < 1, he shows that |x| < |x_0| + 1.

Then

|xy-x_0y_0| = |x(y-y_0) + y_0(x-x_0)|

< |x(y-y_0)| + |y_0(x-x_0)|

< (1+|x_x0|)*Epsilon/(2(|x0|+1)) + |y_0|*Epsilon/(2(|y_0|+1))

= Epsilon/2 + Epsilon/2 = Epsilon

So.. Q.E.D., but I do not understand the second term...

How is |y_0|*Epsilon/(2(|y_0| + 1)) = Epsilon/2 ??

Any help would be most appreciated. This is for self-study, so I am without a teacher.

Thanks,
Shelly

Physics news on Phys.org
That term, in fact, is not equal to [itex]\epsilon/2[/itex], it's merely less than it.

Try verifying the inequality

[tex] |y_0| \cdot \frac{ \epsilon}{2(|y_0|+1)} < \frac{\epsilon}{2}.[/tex]

Spivak's book was my first introduction to rigorous calculus too. In these proofs I remember trying to equate everything (and having it never work). It's quite frustrating at first! Just remember analysis is all about inequalities.

EDIT: Oh! Did you notice that that equal sign in the fourth line of your proof is supposed to be a less-than sign? Maybe that's where you got mixed up...?

Last edited:
Stringy - thank you *so* much. That is a tremendous help.

Much appreciated!

Shelly

Related to Problem understanding a proof in Spivak Vol. 4

1. What is the difficulty level of understanding proofs in Spivak Vol. 4?

The difficulty level of understanding proofs in Spivak Vol. 4 varies depending on the reader's mathematical background and familiarity with the concepts presented. Some may find the proofs challenging, while others may find them relatively straightforward.

2. What are some strategies for understanding proofs in Spivak Vol. 4?

Some strategies for understanding proofs in Spivak Vol. 4 include breaking down the proof into smaller, more manageable parts, looking up any unfamiliar terminology or symbols, and working through examples to better understand the concepts being presented.

3. Are there any prerequisites for understanding proofs in Spivak Vol. 4?

Yes, some prior knowledge of calculus, linear algebra, and real analysis is recommended for understanding the proofs in Spivak Vol. 4. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of mathematical notation and logic.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills while studying proofs in Spivak Vol. 4?

Practicing regularly and actively engaging with the material can help improve problem-solving skills while studying proofs in Spivak Vol. 4. Additionally, seeking out additional resources and working through a variety of problems can also be beneficial.

5. How can I overcome any struggles I may have with understanding proofs in Spivak Vol. 4?

If you are struggling with understanding proofs in Spivak Vol. 4, seeking out help from a professor, tutor, or study group can be beneficial. It is also important to not get discouraged and to continue practicing and engaging with the material. Additionally, breaking down the proof into smaller parts and trying to connect it with real-world examples can also help with understanding.