Problem: Rotational Kinematics; Moment of Inertia

In summary, a mass (M) is dropped from height (H) onto one end of a stick of mass (M) and of length (L) pivoted around the opposite end. Upon collision the mass adheres to the stick.
m2010

Homework Statement

A mass (M) is dropped from height (H) onto one end of a stick of mass (M) and of length (L) pivoted around the opposite end. Upon collision the mass adheres to the stick. Respond to the following in terms of M, L, H, and g.

a. Find speed of mass just before impact
b. Find angular speed of the system immediately after impact
c. Find linear speed of the mass M at its lowest point (when stick is vertical).
d. Determine the mechanical energy lost as a result of the collision.

Homework Equations

The moment of inertia of the stick is 1/3ML^2.
conservation of momentum
conservation of energy

The Attempt at a Solution

a. v=sqrt(2gH)
b. w= sqrt(2gH)/2L
I need help with c and d.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) use kinematic equations
you know that it falls a distance (H - L) so use the (v_final)^2 = (v_initial)^2 + 2*a*d where v_initial is 0 and a is acceleration which equals g (gravity), d distance
(v_final) = sqrt(2*g*(H-L))

b) use the the eq L = I*(omega, which i will use as 'w')
so w = L/I
I = 1/3 * M * L^2
also use L = r x p (r crossproduct p)
in this case, theta is 90 degrees so cos(90deg) = 1
L = L * M * v_final
so w = L*M*sqrt(2*g*(H-L))/(1/3)*M*L^2
w = 3sqrt(2g(H-L))/L

c)for part C, you would need to find the center of mass of the stick. the stick weighs M and the mass weighs M, so the center of mass is 3/4 out toward the end of the stick. therefore, the center of mass falls 3/4 * L

shoot I am not 100% sure how to do the next part ... i had this on a test but now i forgot it -.-

Last edited:
I actually think I had part a right...I attached the diagram given. Can anyone give a more detailed explanation of parts c and d? (L is the length of the stick; M is the mass of the stick)

Attachments

• physics1.jpg
    physics1.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 396

Related to Problem: Rotational Kinematics; Moment of Inertia

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that rotate around an axis. It involves the study of rotational motion, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

2. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. It is represented by the symbol "I" and is measured in units of kilogram meters squared (kg•m²).

3. How is moment of inertia related to rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of an object determines how much torque is needed to produce a certain amount of angular acceleration. It is directly proportional to the angular acceleration, meaning that the greater the moment of inertia, the more torque is required to achieve the same amount of angular acceleration.

4. What factors affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object depends on its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. Objects with larger masses, shapes that are farther from the axis of rotation, and mass that is concentrated farther from the axis will have a greater moment of inertia.

5. How is moment of inertia used in real-world applications?

Moment of inertia is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing vehicles and machines that require rotational motion. It is also important in sports, as it affects the performance of objects like golf clubs, tennis rackets, and figure skates. Understanding moment of inertia is crucial for engineers and designers to create efficient and effective products.