Problem involving slits, diffraction, and incident angle.

So the first null will be for n = 1.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a formula to determine the incident angle at which the first null of a diffraction pattern will occur for a plane wave of 400-nm light passing through a 25-µ(mu) m slit. The first null is defined as the position next to the central maximum where destructive interference occurs for the first time. The formula given calculates the angles at which minima will be located behind the screen, with the first minima occurring at n = 1.
nobb
Hi.
I am a bit confused with this question:

A plane wave of 400-nm light is incident on a 25-µ(mu) m slit in a screen, as shown in the figure below. At what incident angle will the first null of the diffraction pattern be on a line perpendicular to the screen? (picture is attached).

Do I use the formula wavelength=(dSinA)/n ? I am a bit unsure what the "first null" refers to and how this should be taken into account into my formula. Is the first null referring to "n"?

Help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• problem.JPG
    problem.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
I would think that the first null will refer to the position next to the central maximum where destructive interference occurs "for the first time". The formula you are referring to gives the angles at which minima will be located behind the screen. So the first minima will occur at n = 1.

Last edited:

I can help clarify this question for you. The first null in a diffraction pattern refers to the first point where there is no detectable light intensity. In other words, it is where the light waves cancel each other out and there is no resulting light intensity on the screen. This is commonly referred to as the dark fringe or the first minimum in the diffraction pattern.

To calculate the incident angle at which the first null will occur, you can use the equation you mentioned: wavelength = (d*sin θ)/n. In this equation, d represents the slit width, θ represents the incident angle, and n represents the order of the diffraction pattern (in this case, n=1 for the first null).

So, to find the incident angle, you can rearrange the equation to solve for θ: θ = arcsin (n*wavelength/d). Plugging in the given values (n=1, wavelength=400 nm, d=25 µm), we get θ = arcsin (1*400 nm / 25 µm) = 9.6 degrees. This means that the first null will occur at an incident angle of 9.6 degrees.

I hope this helps clarify the question for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Problem involving slits, diffraction, and incident angle.

1. What is diffraction and how does it relate to slits and incident angle?

Diffraction is the bending or spreading of waves as they pass through an opening or around an obstacle. In the case of slits, diffraction occurs when light or other waves pass through a narrow opening, causing them to spread out. The angle at which the waves are incident on the slit also affects the diffraction pattern.

2. How does the size of the slit affect the diffraction pattern?

The size of the slit determines the amount of diffraction that will occur. A smaller slit will result in a wider diffraction pattern, while a larger slit will result in a narrower diffraction pattern. This is because a smaller slit allows for more bending of the waves, leading to a wider spread.

3. Can the incident angle affect the diffraction pattern?

Yes, the incident angle can affect the diffraction pattern. As the angle of incidence increases, the diffraction pattern will also shift. This is because a different angle of incidence will result in a different amount of bending and spreading of the waves, resulting in a different diffraction pattern.

4. How does the distance from the slit to the screen affect the diffraction pattern?

The distance from the slit to the screen affects the diffraction pattern by determining how much the waves have spread out by the time they reach the screen. The farther the screen is from the slit, the wider the diffraction pattern will be. This is because the waves have had more time to spread out and interfere with each other.

5. What other factors can affect the diffraction pattern?

Other factors that can affect the diffraction pattern include the wavelength of the waves, the type of waves (such as light or sound), and any obstructions or irregularities in the opening or medium through which the waves are passing. These factors can all contribute to a more complex and varied diffraction pattern.