Problem about equality of energy formulas

In summary: Can you explain a bit more?In summary, Georg is trying to figure out if E=hf has more energy than E=hf, and he is using some unfamiliar terms and equations. He is also asking for help understanding what he is trying to figure out.
georg gill
upload_2016-2-10_6-45-20.png

Above they use the equality that the massless energy hv is equal to einsteins energy. Both have the same velocity. How can not this mean that einsteins formula has more energy then the other. I have added a proof of einsteins formula just in case it can be used:

upload_2016-2-10_6-50-52.png

upload_2016-2-10_6-52-14.png

upload_2016-2-10_6-55-18.png

In the proof above I don't know why the speed stops at c. But at least c is the same speed as in E=hf.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give a source for all these equations? What exactly are you trying to figure out?

Likes bcrowell
Dear Georg,

You are using some unfamiliar (well ... ) terms: what do you mean with massless energy and what do you mean with einstein's energy ?
And do the various clippings actually not belong together at all ? Where do they come from ?

BvU said:
Dear Georg,

You are using some unfamiliar (well ... ) terms: what do you mean with massless energy and what do you mean with einstein's energy ?
And do the various clippings actually not belong together at all ? Where do they come from ?
Well the one with the green background are my own derivation but it should be correct. The next white box is from a blog. And the third I will add the link to here:

http://www.pitt.edu/~jdnorton/teaching/HPS_0410/chapters/E=mcsquared/proof2.html

By massless energy I was thinking about E=hf. By einsteins energy I was thinking about ## E=mc^2##. It is proved that EM-waves in vacuum have velocity=c which is the same as the velocity in ## E=mc^2##.

georg gill said:
Well the one with the green background are my own derivation but it should be correct
georg gill said:
Above they use the equality that the massless energy hv is equal to einsteins energy
So the 'they' in post #1 is in fact 'I' ?

And where is there an energy that is more than some other energy ?

BvU said:
So the 'they' in post #1 is in fact 'I' ?

And where is there an energy that is more than some other energy ?
Yes the green part would be me. It is pretty classic physics reasoning I think. The problem for me is that if E=hf is transferred to an object with mass. The speed of the object must be dependent on how big it is. Let us say that ##mass_1=0.0001 g## and ##mass_2=1000000000 kg##. If both had the same velocity then we could create infinite energy by infinitely increasing the mass if the speed always was c?

georg gill said:
The problem for me is that if E=hf is transferred to an object with mass. The speed of the object must be dependent on how big it is.

When you say "how big it is" presumably you refer to the mass, not the volume. But yes, that's correct.

Are you perhaps thinking that if an object of mass ##m## has energy ##mc^2## it means the object is moving with speed ##c##? That's not a correct interpretation.

Mister T said:
When you say "how big it is" presumably you refer to the mass, not the volume. But yes, that's correct.

Are you perhaps thinking that if an object of mass ##m## has energy ##mc^2## it means the object is moving with speed ##c##? That's not a correct interpretation.
:smile: Can you explain a bit more?

georg gill said:
:smile: Can you explain a bit more?

Suppose we have a particle of mass ##m## and total energy ##E##. They are related by ##E=\gamma mc^2## where ##\gamma## is defined as ##(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^{-\frac{1}{2}}## and ##v## is the particle's speed. So if you're looking for the relationship between speed ##v## and energy ##E## this is it. Note that when ##v## is zero ##E## equals ##mc^2##, the so-called rest energy.

(Note that you may be used to referring to ##\gamma m## as the mass, in which case you'd refer to ##m## as the rest mass. That's an old convention that most of us don't use. We refer to ##m## as the mass.)

georg gill said:
the one with the green background are my own derivation

Derivation of what? It just looks like a bunch of equalities to me, with no argument for why they should be true. I still don't understand what you are trying to figure out.

Likes BvU
georg gill said:
Yes the green part would be me. It is pretty classic physics reasoning I think. The problem for me is that if E=hf is transferred to an object with mass. The speed of the object must be dependent on how big it is. Let us say that ##mass_1=0.0001 g## and ##mass_2=1000000000 kg##. If both had the same velocity then we could create infinite energy by infinitely increasing the mass if the speed always was c?
You can't. Objects with mass can not have speed c and you can't increase the mass. Unless you mean the relaticvistic mass and then you have to put in exactly the energy difference as per the formula. Seems to me you are applying classic physics reasoning to things that need to be looked at with simple relativistic considerations. And I still don't see an energy that is more than some other energy when it should have been the same.

Where are you in your curriculum ?
Can you work out and post an example, so we can lay a finger on the spot where things go wrong ?

BvU said:
You can't. Objects with mass can not have speed c and you can't increase the mass. Unless you mean the relaticvistic mass and then you have to put in exactly the energy difference as per the formula. Seems to me you are applying classic physics reasoning to things that need to be looked at with simple relativistic considerations. And I still don't see an energy that is more than some other energy when it should have been the same.

Where are you in your curriculum ?
Can you work out and post an example, so we can lay a finger on the spot where things go wrong ?
Thanks for all the feedback. I am not in curriculum I tried to solve the schrødinger equation :) But I am taking classes

Don't see what is the link between what you posted and the schroedinger equation ?

Yes. Now Peter and I still have no idea what your problem is and how we can help you. Could you help us with that ?

This thread is closed as the question being asked is unclear, and from the link in post #16 it doesn't even appear that it's a question about relativity, it's a question about quantum mechanics and wave-particle duality.

georg gill, if you have a question about wave-particle duality, please start a new thread in the Quantum Physics forum. But please first think carefully about what your question actually is. Please try to think of some actual physical experiment that illustrates the issue you are concerned about, instead of just quoting equations. Feel free to PM me if you aren't sure how to phrase your question. (You should also consider that the page you linked to, when taken in context, is talking about an early heuristic quantum model, the Bohr atom, which is not actually correct; also that it uses "relativistic mass", which is a concept that is not used much in modern relativity because it causes more confusion than it solves.)

Likes BvU

Related to Problem about equality of energy formulas

1. What is the problem with equality of energy formulas?

The problem with equality of energy formulas is that they do not always accurately represent the total energy of a system. This is because energy can take on different forms and can be converted from one form to another, making it difficult to measure and compare.

2. How do energy formulas account for different forms of energy?

Energy formulas account for different forms of energy by including variables that represent each type of energy, such as kinetic energy, potential energy, and thermal energy. These variables are then combined in the formula to calculate the total energy of a system.

3. Can energy formulas be used to compare different systems?

Yes, energy formulas can be used to compare different systems as long as the same variables are used and the systems are in similar conditions. However, it is important to note that energy formulas may not accurately represent the total energy of a system, as mentioned before.

4. What are some limitations of energy formulas?

Some limitations of energy formulas include not accounting for all types of energy, not being applicable to all systems, and not accurately representing the total energy of a system in certain situations. They also do not take into account external factors that may affect the energy of a system.

5. How can the problem of equality of energy formulas be addressed?

The problem of equality of energy formulas can be addressed by using more comprehensive formulas that account for a wider range of energy types and by considering external factors that may affect the energy of a system. It is also important to understand the limitations of energy formulas and use them appropriately in the context of a specific system.