Probability of measuring E in a Hydrogen atom, and expectation values

In summary: I think I get it...In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the energy eigenstates of the hydrogen atom. The question involves finding the probability to measure energy E1, E2, and E3, the expectation values of the energy operators, and determining the state's parity. The conversation also mentions the eigenvalues of the energy operator, the squared angular momentum operator, and the z-component of the angular momentum operator. The solution to part (a) is E1=4/9, E2=4/9, and E3=1/9. The solution to part (b) is <\vec{\hat{L}}^{2}>=8/9\hbar
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hey guys, so here's the question:
The energy eigenstates of the hydrogen atom [itex]\psi_{n,l,m}[/itex] are orthonormal and labeled by three quantum numbers: the principle quantum number n and the orbital angular momentum eigenvalues l and m. Consider the state of a hydrogen atom at [itex]t=0[/itex] given by a linear combination of states:
[itex]\Psi=\frac{1}{3}(2\psi_{0,0,0}+2\psi_{2,1,0}+\psi_{3,2,2})[/itex]

(a) What is the probability to find in a measurement of energy [itex]E_{1}, E_{2}, E_{3}[/itex]?

(b) Find the expectation values of the energy [itex]\vec{\hat{L}}^{2}[/itex] and [itex]L_{z}[/itex].

(c) Does this state have definite parity? (HINT: use orthonormality of the [itex]\psi_{n,l,m}[/itex] and the known eigenvalues of [itex]\psi_{n,l,m}[/itex] with respect to [itex]\hat{H}, \vec{\hat{L}}^{2}, \hat{L}_{z}[/itex].

Homework Equations

So here's what we need I think:

Eigenvalues of [itex]\vec{\hat{L}}^{2} = \hbar^{2}l(l+1)[/itex]
Eigenvalues of [itex]\hat{L}_{z} = \hbar m[/itex]
Eigenvalues of [itex]\hat{H} = E_{n}[/itex]..right?

The Attempt at a Solution

so for part (a)...is this just really trivial, that the [itex]E_{1}=\frac{2}{3}, E_{2}=\frac{2}{3}, E_{3}=\frac{1}{3}[/itex] or am I missing something?

(b) I've got something pretty weird...like [itex]<\vec{\hat{L}}^{2}>=\frac{8}{3}\hbar^{2}[/itex] and [itex]<\hat{L}_{z}>=\frac{2}{3}\hbar[/itex] which doesn't seem right to me...

(c) I have no idea!

could you guys gimme a hand please?

thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Dixanadu said:
so for part (a)...is this just really trivial, that the [itex]E_{1}=\frac{2}{3}, E_{2}=\frac{2}{3}, E_{3}=\frac{1}{3}[/itex] or am I missing something?

Remember, the probabilities are from the modulus of the amplitudes squared.
Dixanadu said:
(b) I've got something pretty weird...like [itex]<\vec{\hat{L}}^{2}>=\frac{8}{3}\hbar^{2}[/itex] and [itex]<\hat{L}_{z}>=\frac{2}{3}\hbar[/itex] which doesn't seem right to me...
Would you be willing to show some work?

You might also have noticed that if you added up the three probabilities you got, they sum to more than 1, which should strike you as wrong.

as far as the probabilities go, is the correct answer then:
[itex]E_{1}=\frac{4}{9}, E_{2}=\frac{4}{9}, E_{3}=\frac{1}{9}[/itex]?

And yea, i'll show u my working for part (b), but I am a bit confused cos of the factors. I'll type it in word:
http://imageshack.com/a/img21/6121/81jv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a hunch that I'm not meant to multiply by the factors already in front of the [itex]\psi[/itex]'s...

Related to Probability of measuring E in a Hydrogen atom, and expectation values

1. What is the probability of measuring the energy state E in a hydrogen atom?

The probability of measuring a specific energy state E in a hydrogen atom is determined by the quantum mechanical wave function, which describes the probability amplitude of finding the electron in a particular energy state. The square of this probability amplitude gives the actual probability of measuring the energy state E.

2. How is the probability of measuring E in a hydrogen atom related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, can be known simultaneously. This also applies to energy and time. Therefore, the more precisely the energy of a hydrogen atom is measured, the less precisely the time of the measurement can be known. So, the probability of measuring E in a hydrogen atom is related to the uncertainty in time.

3. Can the probability of measuring E in a hydrogen atom be calculated exactly?

No, the probability of measuring E in a hydrogen atom cannot be calculated exactly. This is because the energy states of an atom are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. The exact value of the energy state E can only be known if the atom is in a pure state, which is not possible in real-world situations. Therefore, the probability of measuring E is always a statistical value.

4. How does the expectation value relate to the probability of measuring E in a hydrogen atom?

The expectation value is the average value of a physical quantity, such as energy, over a large number of measurements. In the case of measuring the energy of a hydrogen atom, the expectation value is equal to the probability of measuring the energy state E. This means that as the number of measurements increases, the probability of measuring E will approach the expectation value.

5. Can the probability of measuring E in a hydrogen atom be manipulated?

Yes, the probability of measuring E in a hydrogen atom can be manipulated by changing the conditions of the measurement. For example, by changing the energy of the incoming photon or the strength of the electric field, the probability of measuring a specific energy state can be altered. This is the basis of techniques such as spectroscopy, which is used to study the energy levels of atoms and molecules.