Probability (electric circuit) - need confirmation of my solution

In summary, the problem involves finding the probability of current break between points M and N in an electric circuit with five elements. The elements have independent failures, with probabilities A_1-0.6, B_1-0.4, B_2-0.7, B_3-0.9, and A_2-0.5. Using the formula P(A\cup B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A)\cdot P(B), the probability of current break is calculated as P(A_1\cup \left[ B_1\cap B_2 \cap B_3 \right] \cup A_2). The initial attempt at a solution was incorrect due to a
dperkovic

Homework Statement

Electric circuit (as shown in the picture), is made from five elements. Failures of elements are independent, with probabilites: [tex]A_1-0.6[/tex], [tex]B_1-0.4[/tex], [tex]B_2-0.7[/tex], [tex]B_3-0.9[/tex] and [tex]A_2-0.5[/tex]. Find the probabilty of current break, between [tex]M[/tex] and [tex]N[/tex].
attachment.php?attachmentid=26624&stc=1&d=1277294014.gif

Homework Equations

For independent events:

[tex]P(A\cap B] = P(A)\cdot P(B)[/tex]
[tex]P(A\cup B] = P(A) + P(B) - P(A)\cdot P(B)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Current will be break, when any of the [tex]A[/tex] element fail, or if all of the [tex]B[/tex] elements fail. So probabilty of the current break is: [tex]A_1 \cap\left[B_1\cup B_2\cup B_3\right]\cap A_2[/tex].

So:

[tex]B = B_1\cup B_2\cup B_3 = B_1\cdot B_2\cdot B_3[/tex]

And, finaly, probability is:

[tex]A_1 \cap\left[B_1\cup B_2\cup B_3\right]\cap A_2 = A_1 \cap B\cap A_2 = A_1 + A_2 + B - A_1\cdot B - A_1\cdot A_2 - A_2\cdot B + A_1\cdot A_2 \cdot B[/tex].

Is that correct ?

Attachments

• circuit.GIF
    circuit.GIF
    1.1 KB · Views: 945
Physics news on Phys.org
That's not correct.

First, give me the correct information. When the current will break?

I ask you this because you said that ALL of B need to fail, and then you write B1 U B2 U B3.

I see...so, formula must be:

[tex] A_1\cup \left[ B_1\cap B_2 \cap B_3 \right] \cup A_2[/tex]

instead of

[tex] A_1\cap \left[ B_1\cup B_2 \cup B_3 \right] \cap A_2[/tex] ?

Yes, that's true.

Now try again, and use [tex]P(A_1\cup \left[ B_1\cap B_2 \cap B_3 \right] \cup A_2)[/tex]

Last edited:
njama said:
Yes, that's true.

Now try again, and use [tex]P(A_1\cap \left[ B_1\cup B_2 \cup B_3 \right] \cap A_2)[/tex]
Don't you mean [tex]P(A_1\cup \left[ B_1\cap B_2 \cap B_3 \right] \cup A_2)[/tex]
?
I think you just grabbed the wrong tex expression.

Mark44 said:
Don't you mean [tex]P(A_1\cup \left[ B_1\cap B_2 \cap B_3 \right] \cup A_2)[/tex]
?
I think you just grabbed the wrong tex expression.

Yes, that's right. Thanks for the correction. I replaced \cup with \cap and vice versa.

njama said:
Yes, that's right. Thanks for the correction. I replaced \cup with \cap and vice versa.

Thank you both, Njama & Mark44.

Related to Probability (electric circuit) - need confirmation of my solution

1. What is probability in an electric circuit?

Probability in an electric circuit refers to the likelihood or chance of a certain event or outcome occurring within the circuit. It is a measure of uncertainty and can be used to predict the behavior of the circuit.

2. How is probability calculated in an electric circuit?

Probability in an electric circuit can be calculated using the principles of statistics and probability. It involves analyzing the components and connections within the circuit to determine the likelihood of specific events or outcomes.

3. What factors affect the probability in an electric circuit?

The probability in an electric circuit can be affected by various factors, such as the type of components used, the quality of the connections, and the amount of resistance in the circuit. Additionally, external factors like temperature and voltage can also impact the probability.

4. How does probability impact the functionality of an electric circuit?

The probability in an electric circuit is crucial in determining the functionality and reliability of the circuit. A higher probability of certain events or outcomes can lead to more stable and predictable circuit behavior, while a lower probability can result in unpredictable or faulty performance.

5. How can probability be used in troubleshooting electric circuits?

Probability can be used in troubleshooting electric circuits by identifying the most likely causes of malfunction or failure and determining the probability of each potential issue. This can help technicians and engineers narrow down the possible solutions and make more informed decisions in repairing the circuit.