Probability and Events (I don't quite understan the answer)

In summary, Urška placed 3 pieces of paper with the names David, Niko, and Dejan into a bag and randomly picked 2 pieces to check. The task was to match the letters on the right with the numbers on the left, with A representing the event of finding David's name on one of the chosen papers. This is considered a compound event because picking out the first and second pieces of paper are two separate events. On the other hand, E (on none of the chosen pieces of paper is the name Dejan) is an elementary event because we can determine which two names were picked by knowing which one was not chosen.
Matejxx1

Homework Statement

An only child Urška puts 3 pieces of paper into a bag : on each piece of paper is written a name of one of her classmates :David,Niko,Dejan (those are the 3 names): She then randomly picks 2 pieces of paper from the bag and checks them
Match the statements on the right with the ones on the left
We have to mach the letters with the numbers

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

A: on one of the chosen papers is the name David
B:On one of the papers is written the name of Urška's brother
C:she pick 2 pieces of paper
D:3
E: on none of the chosen pieces of paper is the name Dejan

1:elementary event
2:experiment
3:impossible event
4:Compound event
5: numbers of possible result

and so I got
A4
B3
C2
D5
E1
What I don't understand is why is A (on one of the chosen papers is the name David ) a compound event
why can't it be an elementary event

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about picking out the first piece of paper and picking out the second. Are they different events?

Likes Matejxx1
Well yes since the name on the first piece must be different from the second one, however I still don't quite get the answer.

Ah I think I got it mind telling me if this way of thinking is correct
if we pick the piece of paper with the name David, we must also check the 2nd piece to figure out if it is Niko or Dejan
However if we look E(on none of the chosen pieces of paper is the name Dejan) because we know which name was not picked up we know which two were.

Related to Probability and Events (I don't quite understan the answer)

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that a particular event will occur. It is typically expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

The probability of an event is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data from an experiment or observation and can vary from the theoretical probability.

4. How do events with different probabilities affect each other?

The probability of multiple events occurring together can be calculated by multiplying their individual probabilities. Events with higher probabilities are more likely to occur together than events with lower probabilities.

5. What is the Law of Large Numbers?

The Law of Large Numbers states that as the number of trials or experiments increases, the observed frequency of an event will get closer to its theoretical probability. In other words, the more times an experiment is repeated, the more accurate the results will be.