Probability Amplitude and Time Evolution Operator

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of quantum physics in finding the probability amplitude to go from one state to another within a given time interval. The operation used for this is <\Psi_{2}|exp(-i\hat{H}(t2-t1))|\Psi_{1}> and can be evaluated by expanding the function exp(H) and using the fact that if Psi is an eigenfunction of H with eigenvalue E, then exp(H) Psi = exp(E) Psi.
erkokite
Hello,

I am fairly new to quantum physics (I'm actually an engineer, not a physicist). I think I am getting a decent grasp on things, but I have a question.

Suppose you have two time dependent states: [tex]\Psi_{1}[/tex] and [tex]\Psi_{2}[/tex].

Also, suppose that we have a constant potential, represented in our Hamiltonian as V.

Our Hamiltonian is thus represented as: [tex]\hat{H}=1/(2m)\partial^2/x^2+V(x)[/tex]

Now suppose that we want to find the probability amplitude to go from state 1 to the 2nd state in a time interval t1 to t2.

It is my understanding that the following operation is used:

[tex]<\Psi_{2}|exp(-i\hat{H}(t2-t1))|\Psi_{1}>[/tex]

This is of course equal to

[tex]\int\Psi_{2}*exp(-i\hat{H}(t2-t1))\Psi_{1}dx[/tex]

However, how do I evaluate the following operation?

[tex]exp(\hat{H})\Psi_{1}[/tex]

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The general idea of evaluating a function of an operator is to expand the function...

exp(H) = 1 + H + H^2/2 + H^3/6 + ...

If Psi is an eigenfunction of H with eigenvalue E, then it is not hard to show that exp(H) Psi = exp(E) Psi.

Hello,

To answer your question, we first need to understand the concept of the time evolution operator. The time evolution operator, denoted as U(t), describes the evolution of a quantum state over time. In your example, the time evolution operator is represented as exp(-i\hat{H}(t2-t1)).

The probability amplitude, as you correctly stated, is given by <\Psi_{2}|U(t)|\Psi_{1}>. This represents the amplitude of the quantum state \Psi_{1} evolving into \Psi_{2} over the time interval t1 to t2.

Now, for the operation exp(\hat{H})\Psi_{1}, we can use the time evolution operator to evaluate it. We can write it as exp(-i\hat{H}t)\Psi_{1}, where t is the time interval. This represents the state \Psi_{1} evolving under the Hamiltonian \hat{H} for a time t.

In summary, the time evolution operator plays a crucial role in calculating probability amplitudes and understanding the evolution of quantum states over time. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of these concepts. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Probability Amplitude and Time Evolution Operator

What is probability amplitude in quantum mechanics?

Probability amplitude is a complex number that represents the probability of an event occurring in quantum mechanics. It is derived from the wave function of a particle and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a specific location or with a specific momentum.

How is probability amplitude related to the time evolution of a quantum system?

The time evolution of a quantum system is described by the Schrödinger equation, which uses the probability amplitude to calculate the probability of a particle transitioning from one state to another over time. The time evolution operator, also known as the Hamiltonian, acts on the probability amplitude to determine how it changes over time.

What is the difference between probability amplitude and wave function?

Probability amplitude and wave function are closely related, but they serve different purposes. Probability amplitude is a complex number used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific state, while the wave function is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a system. The probability amplitude is derived from the wave function.

How does the time evolution operator affect the probability amplitude of a quantum system?

The time evolution operator, also known as the Hamiltonian, acts on the probability amplitude to determine how it changes over time. It is responsible for the time evolution of a quantum system and can be used to predict the future state of a system based on its current state.

What is the importance of understanding probability amplitude and time evolution operator in quantum mechanics?

Probability amplitude and time evolution operator are fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics and are essential for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They allow us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems and have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.