Prime numbers and divisibility by 12

In summary, it seems that the prime number p that is being tried to be divided by 12 is not divisible by 3 or by 2 twice, but is divisible by 4.
Philip Robotic

Homework Statement

Prove that if ##p## is a prime number and if ##p>5## then ##p^2-37## is divisible by ##12##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think that the number ##p^2-37## should be expressed in a way that we can clearly see that it is divisible by 3 and by 2 twice (because ##2\cdot 2\cdot 3=12##). I tried modifying the original expression into something like this: $$p^2-37=12k$$ Where ##k## is a natural number, but got stuck here.

I also tried doing something with this: ##(p-\sqrt{37})\cdot (p+\sqrt{37})## but what next?

I think I am missing a step where I could use some of the properties of prime numbers, but I have really no idea where and how. I've been trying to solve this task for a pretty long time already, unfortunately whiteout success.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you write ##p^2-37=12k## a bit differently, i.e. move ##36## into the ##12k## term, then it's easier to apply the trick with the third binomial formula, and the result becomes obvious. Btw, it works for ##p=5\,,## too.

Last edited:
Likes Philip Robotic
I would suggest considering the two possible crimes in terms of ##4 : 4k+1, 4k+3 ## , or maybe easier conceptually but longer, the primes ## 12k+1, 12k+5, 12k+7, 12k-1 ## (last is the same as ##12k+11.)##

Likes Philip Robotic
Philip Robotic said:

Homework Statement

Prove that if ##p## is a prime number and if ##p>5## then ##p^2-37## is divisible by ##12##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think that the number ##p^2-37## should be expressed in a way that we can clearly see that it is divisible by 3 and by 2 twice (because ##2\cdot 2\cdot 3=12##). I tried modifying the original expression into something like this: $$p^2-37=12k$$ Where ##k## is a natural number, but got stuck here.

I also tried doing something with this: ##(p-\sqrt{37})\cdot (p+\sqrt{37})## but what next?

I think I am missing a step where I could use some of the properties of prime numbers, but I have really no idea where and how. I've been trying to solve this task for a pretty long time already, unfortunately whiteout success.

Just a couple of observations, to emphasise why the other comments above are so important.

You really should have noticed that ##p^2 - 37## being divisible by 12 is equivalent to ##p^2 -1## being divisible by 12. That's a big lesson to learn from this! Whenever you are looking at divisible by ##n##, always think modulo ##n##.

Second, how generally true is this? Are there other numbers for which ##p^2 - 1## is always divisible by them? You might like to try to find some. But, perhaps this is a very specific result. It doesn't work for ##n = 10## or ##n = 14## or ##n =16##. Only ##n = 12##. Although, actually, it works for ##n = 24## as well!

So, maybe a "proof" here is just working through the small number of options for primes module 12? This is called a proof by "exhaustion".

My point is that this is another important lesson: sometimes, especially in these sort of problems, the best solution may simply be to go through all the options.

Philip Robotic said:

Homework Statement

It seems to me that two observations will essentially get you there.

1. Any prime number greater than 2 is an odd number. I.e. p = 2k + 1 .

2. Any prime number greater than 3 is not divisible by 3, so it's congruent to ±1 mod 3 .

PeroK said:
Just a couple of observations, to emphasise why the other comments above are so important.

You really should have noticed that ##p^2 - 37## being divisible by 12 is equivalent to ##p^2 -1## being divisible by 12. That's a big lesson to learn from this! Whenever you are looking at divisible by ##n##, always think modulo ##n##.

Second, how generally true is this? Are there other numbers for which ##p^2 - 1## is always divisible by them? You might like to try to find some. But, perhaps this is a very specific result. It doesn't work for ##n = 10## or ##n = 14## or ##n =16##. Only ##n = 12##. Although, actually, it works for ##n = 24## as well!

So, maybe a "proof" here is just working through the small number of options for primes module 12? This is called a proof by "exhaustion".

My point is that this is another important lesson: sometimes, especially in these sort of problems, the best solution may simply be to go through all the options.
True. I start getting upset when I hear , usually profs., rejecting solutions that are not " elegant ' enough. Hey, when solving hard problems becomes second nature I will start worrying about my solutions being elegant.

Related to Prime numbers and divisibility by 12

1. What are prime numbers?

Prime numbers are positive integers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves. Examples include 2, 3, 5, 7, and 11.

2. How do you determine if a number is prime?

A number is prime if it has exactly two factors, 1 and itself. This can be determined by checking if the number is divisible by any number between 2 and the square root of the number.

3. What is the significance of 12 in divisibility?

12 is a highly divisible number, with factors of 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12. This makes it a useful number for determining divisibility of other numbers. For example, a number is divisible by 12 if it is divisible by both 3 and 4.

4. Can a prime number be divisible by 12?

No, a prime number can only be divisible by 1 and itself. Since 12 has multiple factors, it cannot be a prime number.

5. How are prime numbers and divisibility by 12 related?

Prime numbers and divisibility by 12 are related in the sense that 12 is a highly divisible number and can be used to determine the divisibility of other numbers. For example, if a number is divisible by both 3 and 4, it is also divisible by 12. However, prime numbers themselves cannot be divisible by 12.