Prime Ideal & Noetherian Integral Domain

In summary, the conversation discusses a graduate-level Abstract Algebra lemma on noetherian integral domain and requests help from others. The lemma states that if M is an R-module and L is a submodule of M, then M is noetherian if and only if L and M/L are noetherian. The proof provided includes steps on how to show that T, the maximal ideal of R, is a prime ideal. The conversation also includes questions and clarifications on certain aspects of the proof. The conversation was originally posted in a homework/textbook section but was moved to the Abstract Algebra section for better responses.
A.Magnus
I am reading a graduate-level Abstract Algebra lemma on noetherian integral domain, I am bring it up here hoping for help. The original passage is in one big-fat paragraph but I broke it down here for your easy reading. Let me know if I forget to include any underlying lemmas, and especially, let me know if I should have posted this in Abstract Algebra forum instead. Thank you for your time and help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LEMMA:
Let M be an R-module. Let T be maximal among the ideals of R such that M possesses a submodule L for which L/LT is not noetherian. Then T is a prime ideal of R.

PROOF:
(1) We are assuming that M possesses a submodule L for which L/LT is not noetherian. Thus, as L/LR = L/L is noetherian, T≠R.

(2) Let us assume, by way of contradiction, that T is not prime. Then R possesses ideals U and V such that T ⊂ U,T ⊂ V , and UV ⊆ T.

(3) The (maximal) choice of T forces L/LU and LU/LUV to be noetherian. [QUESTION: I understand that while T is maximal but U and V are strictly larger than T, and the only way to resolve this paradox is to take U and V as structures different from T. But I am lost on how all these "force L/LU and LU/LUV to be noetherian."]

(4) Thus, by Lemma below, L/LUV is noetherian. [QUESTION: Does it mean that since L/LU and LU/LUV are noetherian from above, therefore L, LU and LUV are noetherian, and therefore L/LUV is noetherian?]

(5) On the other hand, as UV ⊆ T, LUV ⊆ LT. Thus, L/LT is a factor module of L/LUV. [QUESTION: Here, I am begging explanation on how L/LT is a factor module of L/LUV, step-by-step if possible.]

(6) Thus, as L/LUV is noetherian, L/LT is noetherian; cf. Lemma below. This contradiction finishes the proof.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the lemma quoted above: Let M be an R-module, and let L be a submodule of M. Then M is noetherian if and only if L and M/L are noetherian.

i have answered this post in detail in the algebra forum. it is a double post.

Yes, Mathwonk is right. Since I did not get any response from this homework/textbook section, I moved the posting to Abstract Algebra section, thinking that the subject might be too advanced for homework/textbook section. Since then, Mathwonk has given me very generous responses. Thank you to both of you.

One question for either Greg or Mathwonk: In Math Stack Exchange forum, you can alert another member of your new posting by typing in "@username" at the beginning of your posting. Can you do the same here? Thanks again.

Related to Prime Ideal & Noetherian Integral Domain

1. What is a prime ideal?

A prime ideal is a special type of ideal in a ring that shares some properties with prime numbers in the integers. It is a subset of the ring that is closed under addition and multiplication, and it is also an ideal that is not the entire ring. Additionally, for any two elements in the ring, if their product is in the prime ideal, then at least one of the elements must also be in the prime ideal.

2. How are prime ideals related to prime numbers?

Prime ideals in a ring share some properties with prime numbers in the integers. Just as prime numbers cannot be factored into smaller integers, prime ideals cannot be factored into smaller ideals. Additionally, both prime numbers and prime ideals play important roles in determining the structure and properties of their respective number systems.

3. What is an integral domain?

An integral domain is a commutative ring in which the product of any two nonzero elements is also nonzero. In other words, it is a ring in which there are no zero divisors. Examples of integral domains include the integers, rational numbers, and real numbers.

4. How are prime ideals and integral domains related?

In an integral domain, every prime ideal is also a maximal ideal. This means that there are no ideals between the prime ideal and the entire ring. Additionally, prime ideals play a crucial role in the factorization of elements in an integral domain, just as prime numbers play a crucial role in the factorization of integers.

5. What is a Noetherian integral domain?

A Noetherian integral domain is a special type of integral domain that satisfies the ascending chain condition for ideals. This means that there are no infinite chains of ideals that continue to increase in size indefinitely. This property has important consequences in terms of the finiteness and structure of ideals in the ring.