Pressure tensor reduces to scalar pressure for isotropic dis

In summary: This is because the integral is defined over all possible velocities in the velocity space. Therefore, when integrating over the y component, which is in the range of -∞...∞, it will cancel out with the other half of the integral over the x component, which is in the range of 0...∞, resulting in a final value of zero. In summary, the pressure tensor reduces to a scalar pressure for an isotropic distribution function due to the symmetry of the integral limits.
wimax32
1. Does anyone know why for an isotropic distribution function, pressure tensor reduces to a scalar pressure?

For instance, for a Maxwellian distribution
P=A ∫ vx vy exp-(vx2 + vy2 + vz2) dvx dvy dvz

is not zero.

I think everybody should realize how bogus some of the authors are. Google this problem, as I did, and you will see hundreds of books, repeating the same line " for isotropic, tensor is diagonal ...". You would think there would be at least one book that might show some derivation.. nope. It's almost like many of them write the books without knowing the equations and just repeating the other authors.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would it be correct to say that this equation is supposed to represent the shear stress on a plane of constant x in the y direction, or the shear stress on a plane of constant y in the x direction?

The equation represent the Pxy component of the pressure tensor. Neither of x or y has to be constant.

Pressure acts on the surface of a control volume, unlike a volumetric force such as gravity. It is also a scalar by nature as "pressure" cannot have direction, but multiplied by the area and dotted with the normal vector of the area yields a force. Try drawing a small control volume of a fluid and summing the forces in all directions. You'll see that the pressure can be subtracted out of your stress tensor.

wimax32 said:
The equation represent the Pxy component of the pressure tensor. Neither of x or y has to be constant.
Physically, Pxy represents the pressure stress on a plane of constant x in the y direction, and also the pressure stress on a plane of constant y in the x direction. You can show this by dotting the pressure tensor with a unit normal on a plane of constant x, or with a unit normal on a plane of constant y. Suppose we are considering a plane of constant x. We are trying to determine the momentum flux component in the y direction impinging on a plane of constant x. What do you think the limits of integration should be in your equation for vx and vy if we are trying to find Pxy?

OrangeDog said:
Pressure acts on the surface of a control volume, unlike a volumetric force such as gravity. It is also a scalar by nature as "pressure" cannot have direction, but multiplied by the area and dotted with the normal vector of the area yields a force. Try drawing a small control volume of a fluid and summing the forces in all directions. You'll see that the pressure can be subtracted out of your stress tensor.
He knows this. He is just trying to understand why the lack of a shear component is consistent with the Maxwell velocity distribtution.

Oh, I didn't get that out of the question. Wouldnt it make more sense then to write the Maxwell distribution exponent as one of the sum of the energies of an ensemble of a fluid (eg, kinetic, potential, electromagnetic), and then show that P = rho*R*T/V. I think that might be straightforward in statistical mechanics. I have to take a look at my book.

OrangeDog said:
Oh, I didn't get that out of the question. Wouldnt it make more sense then to write the Maxwell distribution exponent as one of the sum of the energies of an ensemble of a fluid (eg, kinetic, potential, electromagnetic), and then show that P = rho*R*T/V. I think that might be straightforward in statistical mechanics. I have to take a look at my book.
No. He wants to understand the forces, not the energies.

Likes mheslep
Chestermiller said:
Physically, Pxy represents the pressure stress on a plane of constant x in the y direction, and also the pressure stress on a plane of constant y in the x direction. You can show this by dotting the pressure tensor with a unit normal on a plane of constant x, or with a unit normal on a plane of constant y. Suppose we are considering a plane of constant x. We are trying to determine the momentum flux component in the y direction impinging on a plane of constant x. What do you think the limits of integration should be in your equation for vx and vy if we are trying to find Pxy?
The distribution function is in the velocity space and pressure tensor is the second moment of the distribution function. and (V V) in the integral gives you dyadic. I am just wondering if we are on the same page.

wimax32 said:
The distribution function is in the velocity space and pressure tensor is the second moment of the distribution function. and (V V) in the integral gives you dyadic. I am just wondering if we are on the same page.
Yes. I think we are on the same page. I've had lots of experience with stress tensors and dyadics. The point I'm trying to get at is that, on x the integral should be from zero to infinity, while, on y, the integral should be from minus infinity to plus infinity. The y integration will give you zero.

Likes wimax32
Chestermiller said:
Yes. I think we are on the same page. I've had lots of experience with stress tensors and dyadics. The point I'm trying to get at is that, on x the integral should be from zero to infinity, while, on y, the integral should be from minus infinity to plus infinity. The y integration will give you zero.
Holy cow!... that works. thanks... I am not %100 clear though on why x limit should be from 0,+∞ but the fact that one of the inegration limits should be set to -∞,+∞ and that will give zero, makes sense.

Thanks

wimax32 said:
Holy cow!... that works. thanks... I am not %100 clear though on why x limit should be from 0,+∞ but the fact that one of the inegration limits should be set to -∞,+∞ and that will give zero, makes sense.

Thanks
Going from 0 to infinity on vx means that you are only counting the molecules moving toward the surface. Going from - infinity to + infinity on vy means you are recognizing that there are molecules hitting the plane in equal numbers from both the +y direction and the -y direction. So their momenta cancel.

Related to Pressure tensor reduces to scalar pressure for isotropic dis

1. What is a pressure tensor?

A pressure tensor is a mathematical representation of pressure in a fluid or gas. It is a second-order tensor that describes the pressure in different directions within the fluid.

2. How is the pressure tensor related to scalar pressure?

The pressure tensor can be reduced to a scalar pressure in cases where the fluid is isotropic, meaning that the pressure is the same in all directions. The scalar pressure is then equal to the average of the diagonal elements of the pressure tensor.

3. What does it mean for a fluid to be isotropic?

If a fluid is isotropic, it means that its properties, such as pressure, are the same in all directions. This is often the case in fluids that are at equilibrium, where the pressure is evenly distributed throughout the fluid.

4. How is the pressure tensor used in fluid dynamics?

The pressure tensor is an important tool in fluid dynamics as it helps to describe the behavior of fluids under different conditions. It is used in equations such as the Navier-Stokes equations, which govern the motion of fluids.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the pressure tensor?

Yes, understanding the pressure tensor is crucial in many practical applications, such as designing aircraft and understanding the behavior of fluids in engineering systems. It can also be used in weather forecasting and predicting the behavior of fluids in natural phenomena, such as ocean currents.

Back