Power transmission via Transformer.

In summary, the conversation discusses how voltage is stepped up in transmission lines to reduce current and minimize power loss. It is noted that power loss is not dependent on the voltage delivered to the load, but rather on the voltage across the conductors of the transmission lines. This voltage is determined by the resistance and current, with a decrease in current resulting in a decrease in power loss. The equation P = I * V_loss = I^2 R is used to demonstrate this concept.
moatasim23
In transmission lines the the voltage is stepped up to a specified level thereby reducing current to ensure its transmission with minimal power loss.
But we know that P=V*I
so by increasing the voltage won't Powerloss gets increased?

Physics news on Phys.org
The powerloss doesn't depend on the voltage delivered to the load, but on the voltage across the conductors of the transmission lines, this voltage depends on their resistance and the current through them. V_loss = I * R, and the powerloss will then be P = I * V_loss = I^2 R. So decreasing the current will decrease the losses, and increasing the voltage delivered to the load won't affect the powerloss at a..

The V in that equation refers to voltage drop, not line voltage.

Related to Power transmission via Transformer.

What is a transformer?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another through electromagnetic induction. It consists of two or more coils of wire, known as the primary and secondary windings, which are wrapped around a common iron core.

How does a transformer work?

A transformer works on the principle of electromagnetic induction. When an alternating current (AC) flows through the primary winding, it creates a changing magnetic field around the iron core. This changing magnetic field induces an alternating current in the secondary winding, which is then transmitted to the load.

What is the purpose of a transformer?

The main purpose of a transformer is to step up or step down the voltage of an alternating current. This allows for efficient transmission of electrical energy over long distances, as higher voltages can be transmitted with less energy loss. Transformers are also used to isolate circuits and provide galvanic isolation.

How do you calculate the power transmitted through a transformer?

The power transmitted through a transformer can be calculated using the formula: P = V x I, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps. This formula applies to both the primary and secondary circuits, and the power in the secondary circuit is equal to the power in the primary circuit.

What are the different types of transformers?

The two main types of transformers are step-up transformers and step-down transformers. Step-up transformers increase the voltage from the primary to the secondary winding, while step-down transformers decrease the voltage. Other types of transformers include autotransformers, isolation transformers, and instrument transformers.