Power Sign Convention: Confused? Get Help Here!

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the sign convention for power and how it relates to the direction of current and voltage in a circuit. The conversation also touches on the concept of elements and the assumption of power flow in a circuit. Ultimately, it is important to follow the sign convention and not make assumptions in order to accurately calculate power in a circuit.
merry
Hey guys,

So the sign convention for power is really confusing me. According to my knowledge, if a positive current is entering the positive terminal of an element, the voltage drops across the element and power is hence absorbed. Why does the question solution change the sign of the current and say that the power is negative though? I am really confused =[
Help me please!

Thanks!

Attachment:
page 7 from Basic Engineering Analysis 9th Edition, by J. D. Irwin and R. M. Nelms.

Attachments

• IMG_1697.jpg
    IMG_1697.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 548
Engineering news on Phys.org
Be careful of the polarity of your supply. In picture 'a' the current would flow from the positive of the supply to the negative, so the direction given being 4A would need to be reversed to make sense, thus making the current -4A.

Is it because the potential increases as current passes through the source? Would it be the same if I changed the voltage to a negative 2?
I got confused because I assumed that the source would be supplying the current and hence the direction of the current makes sense, but I guess according to the passive sign convention, the voltage would then be negative (or the dir. of current would be reversed). Am I thinking the right way? @.@

The supply (blue thing) in this case is acting as an element, because of the direction of current, and the element (square) is supplying the power. We assume by convention that the supply is supplying power to the element, however in this case the power turns out to be negative, indicating the opposite.

If you assume current goes one way, and you get an answer with negative current, it means the current is actually going the other way. This is similar.

Is it because the potential increases as current passes through the source?

If you think of the supply as an element, and you increase the current through it (keeping the resistance fixed) what happens according to Ohms Law?

Would it be the same if I changed the voltage to a negative 2?

If you changed the voltage (in question a) to -2 (and swapped the polarity signs) you would have (-2V)*(4A) and would get the same -8W.

Yes, you are thinking the right way! You can assume anything you like, as long as you be careful about sign convention and write down what is valid, not what validates your assumptions ;). In the end, if you have the maths correct and the assumption wrong, you will just get a negative value, indicating the opposite of what you assumed.

ahh! =.= I assumed tht the blue thingy was defined as the element! and the box was the source/supply!

But it makes sense to think the same anyway xD Thanks so much for helping me out! I've been stuck at this question all day...

so like both are considered elements,

the right element is supplying power on both cases and the left element (blue creature) is absorbing power, also on both cases

Related to Power Sign Convention: Confused? Get Help Here!

1. What is the Power Sign Convention?

The Power Sign Convention is a set of rules used in electrical engineering to determine the direction of power flow in a circuit. It helps to keep track of whether power is being supplied or absorbed by a component in a circuit.

2. How does the Power Sign Convention work?

The convention states that when current flows from a higher potential to a lower potential, the power is considered positive. Conversely, when current flows from a lower potential to a higher potential, the power is considered negative. This helps to determine the direction of power flow in a circuit.

3. Why is the Power Sign Convention important?

The Power Sign Convention is important because it allows engineers to analyze and design circuits more accurately. By using this convention, they can determine the direction of power flow and ensure that components are connected in the correct orientation.

4. What happens if the Power Sign Convention is not followed?

If the convention is not followed, it can lead to incorrect analysis and design of circuits. This can result in faulty circuits and even damage to components. Therefore, it is important to understand and follow the Power Sign Convention in electrical engineering.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Power Sign Convention?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the convention. For example, in some cases, power may be considered negative even when current is flowing from a higher potential to a lower potential. These exceptions occur in specific scenarios and are typically mentioned in circuit analysis problems.