Power Series: Find First 5 Terms of x^2/(1-5x) - Help Needed

In summary, the function f(x) can be represented by a power series using the binomial expansion and substituting t=5x. The interval of convergence is (-1/5) < x < (1/5). To find the power series, we can use the geometric series formula, with r=5x, but we have to make sure that |r| is less than 1.
dmdenney
For this function

f(x)=x^2/(1-5x).

The interval of convergence is (-1/5) < x < (1/5).

I tried to differentiate, but got it wrong.

Could someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
dmdenney said:
For this function

f(x)=x^2/(1-5x).

Hi dmdenney, and welcome to MHB!

To find the power series representation for this function, I would use the binomial expansion $(1-t)^{-1} = 1+t+t^2 + t^3 + t^4 + \ldots$ (valid for $-1<t<1$), and substitute $t=5x$.

dmdenney said:
For this function

f(x)=x^2/(1-5x).

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} f(x) &= \frac{x^2}{1 - 5x} \\ &= x^2 \left( \frac{1}{1 - 5x} \right) \end{align*}$

Do you recall the geometric series $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} r^n = \frac{1}{1 - r} \end{align*}$ provided $\displaystyle \begin{align*} |r| < 1 \end{align*}$? Do you see how the stuff in the brackets looks like the closed form of the geometric series? What is r in this case?

Related to Power Series: Find First 5 Terms of x^2/(1-5x) - Help Needed

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical series in which each term is a power of a variable, typically denoted as x. It is often used to represent functions as an infinite sum of terms.

2. How do I find the first five terms of a power series?

To find the first five terms of a power series, you can use the formula an = f(n)(0)/n!, where f(x) is the given function and n is the term number. Plug in the values of n from 0 to 4 to find the first five terms.

3. What is the function in the given power series x^2/(1-5x)?

The function represented by the power series x^2/(1-5x) is f(x) = x^2/(1-5x).

4. How do I evaluate a power series for a specific value of x?

To evaluate a power series for a specific value of x, plug in the value of x into the series and simplify. For example, to find the value of the given series at x = 2, we would have f(2) = (2)^2/(1-5(2)) = 4/(-9) = -4/9.

5. How can I determine the convergence of a power series?

The convergence of a power series can be determined by using the ratio test or the root test. If the limit of the ratio or the root is less than 1, then the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, then the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and other methods may need to be used.