"Power reading" for learning physics?

In summary: Form a study group. Talking to others who are struggling with the material can help you avoid feeling alone and discouraged.
physicsponderer said:
For me high school physics was a breeze for the most part (some or the math was a slight problem), while high school math was a nightmare. I remember looking at a model answer of applied math and understanding easily how the initial equations were created by resolving the diagram horizontally and vertically, and being able to see that the simultaneous equations were solved for the solution, but not being able to see how the solver had been able to see how to solve those simultaneous equations. When I showed it to a friend, he said, it's just a matter of getting better through experience. It's the same now. It's as if math is the only major school subject I find difficult. When I think mathematically I become error-prone and generally stupid.
Your experience is what you say it is. We cannot argue much against it. You needed to get better at basic arithmetic and basic algebra. My guess is those are what are standing in your way.

Likes weirdoguy
Science news on Phys.org
In this thread, people discover a shocking truth about life: different people find different things hard.

• Haha
Likes physicsponderer
We try to soften many different things here at PF :cool:

• Haha
Likes AndreasC
There is physics and then there is physics.

Einstein apparently once sat next to an attractive young lady at a dinner party.

She had no idea who he was and began a polite conversation by asking "What do you?"

"I study physics", said Einstein.

"Gosh!", said she, clearly surprised. "I stopped studying physics at school."

• Haha
Likes physicsponderer
I recently came across this most apposite ancient Chinese proverb
Clipboard01.png

I hear - and I forget
I see - and I remember
I do - and I understand

Attributed to Xun Kuang (c. 310 - c. 235 BC) known as Xunzi (”Master Xun”), a Chinese Realist Confucian philosopher. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xun_Kuang which has a link to Tell me and I forget; teach me and I may remember; involve me and I will learn which gives a literal translation as
Not hearing is not as good as hearing, hearing is not as good as seeing, seeing is not as good as mentally knowing, mentally knowing is not as good as acting; true learning continues up to the point that action comes forth

Last edited: