Power Dissipation by R at t=3.7ms:

In summary, To find the power dissipated by a resistor with a current of i(t) = 2sin(30t + 169°) and resistance R = 50Ω at t = 3.7ms, use the equation p = i^2R or p = .5(Vmax)(Imax)*(cos(phi-theta)+cos(2*omega*t+phi+theta)) and ensure that all values are in either radians or degrees. The correct answer is 1.31 Watts.
hover

Homework Statement

The current through a resistor is i(t) = 2sin(30t + 169°), and R = 50Ω
What is the power dissipated by R at t = 3.7ms?

Homework Equations

p = i2R
or
p = .5(Vmax)(Imax)*(cos([tex]\phi[/tex]-[tex]\theta[/tex])+cos(2*[tex]\omega[/tex]*t+[tex]\phi[/tex]+[tex]\theta[/tex]))

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel stupid for asking this but I just can't get the numbers right. I think this is a situation where the problem is so easy that it is difficult... anyway

i(t) = 2*sin(30t + 169°) = 2*cos(30t + 169°-90°)= 2*cos(30t + 79°)

so

p = i2R = (2*cos(30t + 79°))2*50= 4*50*(cos(30t + 79°))2

if t = 3.7ms = .0037s

4*50*(cos(30*.0037 + 79°))2 = 7.1372 Watts

the actual answer is 1.31 Watts and I can't get this right. I must be making a stupid mistake somewhere that is so simple that I just can't see it. I also get my answer if I use the second formula I listed. Where is my mistake?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use either radians or degrees. You can't add apples and bananas.

SirAskalot said:
You need to use either radians or degrees. You can't add apples and bananas.

Ah... such a simple mistake I made. Now it comes out right if I multiply the 79 by pi/180 (aka put everything into radians). Thanks for that.

Related to Power Dissipation by R at t=3.7ms:

1. What is power dissipation by R at t=3.7ms?

Power dissipation by R at t=3.7ms refers to the amount of power that is lost or dissipated by a resistor (R) at a specific time, which is 3.7 milliseconds. This is a measure of the energy that is converted into heat by the resistor.

2. How is power dissipation by R calculated?

Power dissipation by R can be calculated using the formula P=I^2*R, where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance. This formula is known as Joule's law and it shows the relationship between power, current, and resistance in a circuit.

3. Why is power dissipation by R important?

Power dissipation by R is important because it determines the amount of heat that is generated by a resistor. If a resistor dissipates too much power, it can overheat and potentially damage the circuit. Therefore, it is important to calculate and monitor power dissipation to ensure the safe operation of a circuit.

4. How does the value of R affect power dissipation?

The value of R, which is the resistance of the resistor, directly affects power dissipation. A higher value of resistance will result in a higher power dissipation, as more energy is converted into heat. On the other hand, a lower resistance will result in a lower power dissipation.

5. Can power dissipation by R be reduced?

Yes, power dissipation by R can be reduced by using a resistor with a higher value of resistance or by using multiple resistors in series or parallel. It is also important to ensure that the circuit is designed and operated within safe limits to prevent excessive power dissipation.